Thai soccer fans will get to see all the 64 World Cup soccer matches

snoop1130

4 hours ago, James105 said:

Ok halfway there, now we just need the bars to be legally allowed to open (and sell alcohol) for all the matches which will of course help the Thai gov recoup some of this money by the hugely increased spending in these bars that will occur during the world cup period.  

Well it would certainly help the bar owners and the duopolies that sell the beer/alcohol?

1 hour ago, stat said:

What makes you think the quality went down? Did you see the 1954 final? As Günther Netzer once said about the teams of 1974 they were playing tip kick football i.e. not running and moving. No pressing nothing, the old teams would loose 0:10 vs a 2022 team.

Brazil 1970, the greatest football team the world ever saw.

13 hours ago, stat said:

Smart move, Germany dumb as ever pays top EUROS and on tops arrive with the biggest media TV team. Meanwhile Germans gladly pay the state broadcaster 19€ per month per household. Thats what the british call dumb money and right they are...

Germany is competing, so it might be worth 7 times as much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Vote buying ahead of elections in first quarter 2023. 

With nothing done about flood prevention since the great floods of 2011 or waste management, Thais will die happy washed away with their families in a torrent of sewage because they could stay up late to watch the footy and gambled on it in 2022. Who wouldn’t want to make this choice?

Do you really believe $28m (1 billion THB) could fix Thailand's flood/drought problems? No, it's a false argument it could be better spent elsewhere. It would take billions of $ to fix, not billions of THB. And how many would actually benefit from public works' spending of a billion THB? Maybe a project in Bangkok to create a public park. How does that benefit folk in Isaan? Or down south?

I see the Qatari royals have just decided on a total booze ban 48 hours before kick off, that's a foul then. Maybe not though as they obviously bought the right to stage it they can do what they want, maybe they have paid to win it? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stat said:

Any "legal" way to watch the matches on the internet while here in Thailand? I do not have a tv package or sat connection. I am on 3bbb internet. Otherwise will have to use some <deleted>ty streaming website that crashes while Germany wins the penalty shoot out vs England ???? (No offense I love the UK and lived there) Thanks!

I'm not going to go through 4 pages of responses to see if this has been said before so sorry if I'm duplicating anything but I'm pretty sure 3bb stream all the network TV channels from their website for their customers.

At least I'm sure they used to when I was with them a few years ago. It might be worth taking a look through their website.

6 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Totally agree. American sports the players dress as if they are going to war with full body armour. They are afraid of getting hurt......Big pussies. Now a game like rugby which is a real man's sport and now it has been shown a game for real women too. They rely on skill to play the game and do not need to wear full body armour. Americans have to use brute force to win games like American football ( played with the hands not their feet )  and ice hocky etc.

Not a fan of either sport but American football players are bigger, faster, stronger and way more athletic than rugby players.  look at the list of NFL players who also won gold in Olympics track events,. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_Olympians

Not sure if a rugby player has ever even competed in an Olympics track event.

American footballers definitely need the padding and equipment as the athleticism,  speed and impacts are much higher level.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, neytil said:

Not a fan of either sport but American football players are bigger, faster, stronger and way more athletic than rugby players.  look at the list of NFL players who also won gold in Olympics track events,. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_Olympians

Not sure if a rugby player has ever even competed in an Olympics track event.

Its a different game...  but, yes... NFL players are faster the linebackers etc are bigger than the fwd in rugby... 

But... How long is the ball in play for in NFL ????  - I’m reading that the ball is live for about 11-18mins of the 3 to 3.5 hr game....  Thats not to criticise it, but to highlight what a different game it is and comparisons are not accurate (its like comparing draughts and chess)/.

16 minutes ago, neytil said:

American footballers definitely need the padding and equipment as the athleticism,  speed and impacts are much higher level.

Egg vs the chicken - Do they need the padding because the impacts are so great, or are the impacts so great because they have the padding ???

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the technical aspect of scrummaging, line outs, rucks and malls...  to the timing and angles of the runs and passes....  the variation and evolution of tactics through as the game evolves...  

The skill and intelligence involved in being a successful rugby player can’t be under-estimated. 

But... If it has to be explained to you, you wouldn’t understand anyway.... 

Then I must say that you have no idea how much skill it takes to play American football. Yes, you may think they have to wear protection, it is a hard hitting game of brute and stamina as well as using skills and techniques to play the game. You should try and open your mind more and see both sides. I will say this is personal opinion for sure, because I have watched both sports and I don't care for Rugby, but I really dislike hockey and all the fighting on the ice, there is no sportsmanship there.

18 minutes ago, bstafford214 said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the technical aspect of scrummaging, line outs, rucks and malls...  to the timing and angles of the runs and passes....  the variation and evolution of tactics through as the game evolves...  

The skill and intelligence involved in being a successful rugby player can’t be under-estimated. 

But... If it has to be explained to you, you wouldn’t understand anyway.... 

Then I must say that you have no idea how much skill it takes to play American football. Yes, you may think they have to wear protection, it is a hard hitting game of brute and stamina as well as using skills and techniques to play the game. You should try and open your mind more and see both sides. I will say this is personal opinion for sure, because I have watched both sports and I don't care for Rugby, but I really dislike hockey and all the fighting on the ice, there is no sportsmanship there.

I agree.... ‘we’ should try and open our mind more...    read my comments again, with an open mind this time !!!!... 

Example below: 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a different game...  but, yes... NFL players are faster the linebackers etc are bigger than the fwd in rugby... 

But... How long is the ball in play for in NFL ????  - I’m reading that the ball is live for about 11-18mins of the 3 to 3.5 hr game....  Thats not to criticise it, but to highlight what a different game it is and comparisons are not accurate (its like comparing draughts and chess)/.

4 hours ago, proton said:

I see the Qatari royals have just decided on a total booze ban 48 hours before kick off, that's a foul then. Maybe not though as they obviously bought the right to stage it they can do what they want, maybe they have paid to win it? 

Pretty sure they promised to allow alcohol when they "won" the rights to host the tournament. Those in corporate boxes can still drink apparently, according to the BBC. What happened to football is for everyone? 

Can't help but wonder if they are going to ban women from attending, tomorrow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMuddle said:

Pretty sure they promised to allow alcohol when they "won" the rights to host the tournament. Those in corporate boxes can still drink apparently, according to the BBC. What happened to football is for everyone? 

Can't help but wonder if they are going to ban women from attending, tomorrow!

Yup, a couple of days ago it was reported at £12.75 a pint .

Refuse those footy fans a few pints ………. what could possibly go wrong ??

12 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, a couple of days ago it was reported at £12.75 a pint .

Refuse those footy fans a few pints ………. what could possibly go wrong ??

Apparently no alcohol sold in the stadium.

IMHO should never have been held there, FIFA, corrupt load of <deleted>.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11442203/Qatar-want-alcohol-sales-World-Cup-stadiums-BANNED.html

Edited by roo860

16 minutes ago, roo860 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11442203/Qatar-want-alcohol-sales-World-Cup-stadiums-BANNED.html

Qatar has all the power now...  they can go back on any agreements they made in the bidding process - Qatar has made FIFA look like fools... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roo860 said:

The hardened drinkers are only going to get as many down as possible before hitting the stadiums, seems like a recipe for disaster !!

Wonder how they are going to enforce the 4 pint limit ?

17 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Rugby must be about the most boring sport ever. It seems that any big fit, strongly built, fast runner can play it. I just fail to see where the skill is.

It would be a boring world if we all followed the same sport. I guess, with afterthought, there is skill in any sport. As for Rugby, if you want to see skill in the game just watch Jonny Wilkinson's career as a kicker. Bearing in mind the ball is egg shaped not round. Watch the drop goal in the last seconds of the World Cup Against Australia in 2003. Gave us a 20:17 win. Brilliant Game. 

15 hours ago, proton said:

I thought they had simply stopped the selling of booze outside of the stadiums. Not sure about inside, but previously it was only available in hotels anyhow I believe. Strikes me as a good idea, brawling drunk soccer fans is not what we want to see. 

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

It would be a boring world if we all followed the same sport. I guess, with afterthought, there is skill in any sport. As for Rugby, if you want to see skill in the game just watch Jonny Wilkinson's career as a kicker. Bearing in mind the ball is egg shaped not round. Watch the drop goal in the last seconds of the World Cup Against Australia in 2003. Gave us a 20:17 win. Brilliant Game. 

Yes, I will give you that, it would take skill to kick a ball between the posts. But when it comes to running while carrying a ball, people chasing you and trying to catch you, pulling each other down, making a huddle, I still say any big strong fit guy who can run fast can play rugby.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

One more thing, cricket to me is also a boring sport, but it is easy to see there is a bit of skill involved in it.

• Like 1