OK to enter Thailand on Tourist Visa then go straight to Savannakhet for Non O?

I am heading to Thailand soon from the UK and can't face applying for a non O at the London Embassy.

I will have plenty of funds so can apply for non O on basis of marriage. Rather than get a 3 month non O at local IM then go back again to prove funds, could I go straight to Savannakhet for a one year visa? I live quite close to Mukdahan and it would get everything wrapped up fast.

Any advice regarding potential pitfalls would be appreciated.

If you are married to a Thai, there should be no problem applying for a multiple entry Non O visa (valid for unlimited 90-day stays for one year) in Savannakhet.

If your immigration history in Thailand is clean (no long uninterrupted stays as a tourist) you can safely enter visa exempt (without a visa). Otherwise, entering with an actual tourist visa would be wise.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be a problem. Got back a few days ago from Savannakhet with a one year ME non o. Getting a visa there just as easy as before. No financials asked. The Thai border guards at Mukdahan are very friendly and and won't give you any problems especially if you come back with a non o.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GregBow said:

I thought could convert to Non O at local immigration from visa exempt entry. Am I wrong?

Would seem easier

financials are required for that, no financials at Savannakhet for multi non O married to Thai

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not apply for the evisa from London that's  what I have ( multi entry) no need to send your passport or to go to consulate  as its all done online , Once approved  you are sent the visa as a pdf file to your email & just print it off & present to immigration  at Bangkok all very easy

• Like 1

Thx for reply thaiscot.

Below is what the London Embassy demand. Accumulating all that documentation is just too time consuming.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages

• A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.
Edited by Soutener
  • Sad 1

To everyone else...

Again, thanks for the replies.

I am getting old and would like to avoid trips wherever I can. I will be living between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakon and as far as I know my nearest IO will be Nakon Phanom, a three hour drive. For me that means staying over night and returning the next day.

I've been to Sawannakhet several times and know what to expect which makes everything a lot less anxiety inducing. One trip to Sawanakhet beats two or three trips to Nakon Panom and unknown reception by immigration.

I suppose the only real question that matters is, can I convert directly to a one year non O from a visa exempt/tourist visa in Swannakhet? I have no problems with funds and no past transgressions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soutener said:

Thx for reply thaiscot.

Below is what the London Embassy demand. Accumulating all that documentation is just too time consuming.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year/Multiple entries 

• Printout of visa application form submitted online, with bar code

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages

• A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  • Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  • Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.
  • Please check http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement.

That's a non-OA.  You don't want that.  You want a non-O.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Soutener said:

I am getting old and would like to avoid trips wherever I can. I will be living between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakon and as far as I know my nearest IO will be Nakon Phanom, a three hour drive. For me that means staying over night and returning the next day.

There is immigration offices in Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon. You can only apply for the extension at the office in the province where you are living in. There are offices in all provinces now.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is immigration offices in Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon. You can only apply for the extension at the office in the province where you are living in. There are offices in all provinces now.

Just a reminder the Sakon Nakhon office recently moved ! Its in the airport property,about a half kilometer on the right from the entrance .

23 minutes ago, GregBow said:

Back to my comment about coming visa exempt would you need a return ticket to enter?

You may require onward flight from airline at departure.

Not on arrival by Thai immigration.

You can buy "rent a flight" from companies such as "onward flight.com".

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is certainly good to know. Only an hour and eight minutes from where I will be.  Probably the best option as long as they will convert visa exempt to non 0.

I suppose I will get used to the post-covid set up pretty quickly.

Just one more question, if I send money via bank or Wise to my wife's bank account, will that be acceptable to immigration? I reckon my own bank account will have lapsed after 2 years. Also previously Bank ofAyudhya didn't function with online transfers. Also I have lost the bank book, lol.

18 minutes ago, Soutener said:

Just one more question, if I send money via bank or Wise to my wife's bank account, will that be acceptable to immigration?

No! You will need to open your own account before transferring the money. Make sure your overseas bank is aware that you will be requesting such a transfer. It can sometimes be difficult to initiate large transfers these days when not able to visit the bank branch.

13 hours ago, Bigz said:

Shouldn't be a problem. Got back a few days ago from Savannakhet with a one year ME non o. Getting a visa there just as easy as before. No financials asked. The Thai border guards at Mukdahan are very friendly and and won't give you any problems especially if you come back with a non o.

Do you know if Savannakhet is also issuing one-year multi-entry Non-O not based on marriage, but on retirement?  And if so, are there the normal 800k THB financial requirements for this?

32 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Do you know if Savannakhet is also issuing one-year multi-entry Non-O not based on marriage, but on retirement?  And if so, are there the normal 800k THB financial requirements for this?

Sorry I don't know about non o based on retirement in Savannakhet. My guess is that even if they do you would need to prove financials. Probably other members have more knowledge on that visa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K2938 said:

no multi retirement non o

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, K2938 said:

Pre covid 19 there were reports of them doing a multiple entry non-o for retirement. If I recall correctly they wanted the same financial requirements as a extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1

if u enter/leave Thailand to go to Laos ur not converting anything:
your getting a new Non O visa 
so just enter with visa exempt,  You MIGHT be asked for forward or return ticket

Onward charges only $14

if I send money via bank or Wise to my wife's bank account, will that be acceptable to immigration?

NO::: has to be in ur name

so deal with that before u leave thailand and arrive in Laos, only need show its been there 1 day
note afaik, it can be 400,000 or equivalent in any currency 

9 hours ago, zzzzz said:

if u enter/leave Thailand to go to Laos ur not converting anything:
your getting a new Non O visa 
so just enter with visa exempt,  You MIGHT be asked for forward or return ticket

Onward charges only $14

NO::: has to be in ur name

so deal with that before u leave thailand and arrive in Laos, only need show its been there 1 day
note afaik, it can be 400,000 or equivalent in any currency 

"You MIGHT be asked for forward or return ticket"

So if I fly from Thailand-to-Cambodia-to-Thailand, for the purpose of obtaining a visa exempt entry to Thailand, prior to applying for a NON-O, are you saying that Thai Customs might want me to have a forward or return ticket in addition to the round trip to/from Cambodia?

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

No! You will need to open your own account before transferring the money. Make sure your overseas bank is aware that you will be requesting such a transfer. It can sometimes be difficult to initiate large transfers these days when not able to visit the bank branch.

Sorry to be slow replying to this. Things got busy here. 

Are you saying there might be a problem at the Thai end if I send, say, a million baht? I will certainly check with my bank in UK before sending.

Also, I am fairly sure if the money is in my wife's account it will be acceptable to immigration but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Soutener
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Soutener said:

Sorry to be slow replying to this. Things got busy here. 

Are you saying there might be a problem at the Thai end if I send, say, a million baht? I will certainly check with my bank in UK before sending.

Also, I am fairly sure if the money is in my wife's account it will be acceptable to immigration but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

money has to be in your name only, no problem receiving large amounts with Thai banks, I have sent million baht transfers many times to Bangkok Bank and never an issue

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Soutener said:

Unfortunately not. If the account contains double the usual amount, Immigration will sometimes accept a joint account, but using the wife's account is never accepted. Further, for the conversion from tourist entry to Non O visa, you need to be able to show the money originated abroad. This means that, even if transferring the money from your wife's account to a newly opened account of your own, it could prove difficult establishing that the money originated overseas. Aggravating but, unless you are willing to get into the clutches of an agent, you need to work within these restrictions.

37 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

How busy was it?

Thanks.

It was fairly busy. Had a few big groups of Russians and Chinese all came with organised visa run agencies. If you plan to do this trip do not come Thursday with Friday passport pickup. Took me 2 hours to clear the Lao and Thai checkpoints on the way back due to the massive queue. Other days may be better.

49 minutes ago, Bigz said:

It was fairly busy. Had a few big groups of Russians and Chinese all came with organised visa run agencies. If you plan to do this trip do not come Thursday with Friday passport pickup. Took me 2 hours to clear the Lao and Thai checkpoints on the way back due to the massive queue. Other days may be better.

Thanks.

I'd plan to hand in PP on tuesday and collect wednesday, hopefully not too bad.

A friend recently went and pretty much echo's your experience.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unfortunately not. If the account contains double the usual amount, Immigration will sometimes accept a joint account, but using the wife's account is never accepted. Further, for the conversion from tourist entry to Non O visa, you need to be able to show the money originated abroad. This means that, even if transferring the money from your wife's account to a newly opened account of your own, it could prove difficult establishing that the money originated overseas. Aggravating but, unless you are willing to get into the clutches of an agent, you need to work within these restrictions.

Savannakhet is beginning to look like the most practical option for the first year, busy or not.

I think I will try for the 3 month intial non 0 visa and hope I have no problems with opening a new bank account or maybe reviving my old one.

Then hope there is no problem with using my bank in the UK from Thailand so I can import funds.

Might even look at London Embassy again, though I think they need to see funds in Thai bank not UK one.

Anyway, thanks for peoples help.