eBike Import

MyFriend You

I am wondering if it is worth it to bring am eBike to Thaialand with me as excess baggage and what do the airlines think about the battery.  Or do I have to lug that 10lb battery as carry on.   If it is brought on airlines as baggage, is there any customs charges.  I did a search for this and got everything under the sun, exept the answer to this question.   A top of the line eBike could cost upqards to $4000, I'd hate to see that stuck in an airport cause they dont like eBikes on their planes.     Peace

• Like 1

Do you already own it, and do you plan on living here/TH?

Forget carry on (battery), not allowed.   Just guessing but even as freight/excess baggage, it will probably be considered 'haz mat', and need to be certified to be shipped properly.

They sell quality ebikes here, for far less than $4000 USD(?), even $4000 AUD

If battery only weighs 10lbs, not very top of the line.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Are they not illegal in Thailand....and many other countries?

Ebikes are available thru Lazada as well as at many fine stores.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/ebike/

If OP is coming for long time, he could bring the Ebike minus battery on the flight, and just buy a battery here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=ebike+battery

• Like 1

Op could of course travel with the bike as baggage (I’ve travelled with bikes before) - no issue on airlines (may have excess baggage of course).

But, with an e-bike the battery is of course the issue... 

He can’t hand carry the battery as its not allowed as carry on (specs to high).

The battery can’t be loaded into the hold. 

Thus: IF bringing an e-bike with him... his options are to bring the e-bike with him minus battery... and either try and ship the battery separately (with a shipping company), or contact the supplier of the battery and ask them to send / ship one to Thailand (i.e. buy a new battery from them). 

... thats if they even will ship one... 

I looked at such e-bikes a while ago...  not enough quality in Thailand... 

All the usual high quality brands we’d see in the UK are not here.... its mostly bikes made in China - it seems the e-bike market has not yet matured in Thailand - not for quality e-mountain bikes at least... 

(IF thats what the Op meant by e-bike... i.e. an e-mountain bike and not a mobility scooter type e-bike)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Ebikes are available thru Lazada as well as at many fine stores.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/ebike/

If OP is coming for long time, he could bring the Ebike minus battery on the flight, and just buy a battery here.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=ebike+battery

Yikes ... with those 2 links, I think OP has to specify to us what he/she/it thinks a top end ebike is.

Personally I'd just buy one here, as bringing one, with or without the battery would be quite the hassle.  And getting a battery (quality) here, possibly even more hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op could of course travel with the bike as baggage (I’ve travelled with bikes before) - no issue on airlines (may have excess baggage of course).

Thus: IF bringing an e-bike with him... his options are to bring the e-bike with him minus battery... and either try and ship the battery separately (with a shipping company), or contact the supplier of the battery and ask them to send / ship one to Thailand (i.e. buy a new battery from them). 

All the usual high quality brands we’d see in the UK are not here.... its mostly bikes made in China - it seems the e-bike market has not yet matured in Thailand - not for quality e-mountain bikes at least... 

(IF thats what the Op meant by e-bike... i.e. an e-mountain bike and not a mobility scooter type e-bike)

Look at Bangkok e bike ,lots of good ines there and they can motorize your bicycle

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Same here. I see some good looking e bikes in Europe and the U.S. but here they are still mostly using old tech with lead acid batteries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I'd ask the airlines directly about possibility\limitation of carrying ebike. That way you get an actual answer and not guesses from posters.

Since most limit power banks to 10-20k mAh, it's a safe guess you ain't carrying a 36 or 48v 10-30Ah battery on any plane.

And my experience working for airlines, that's considered haz mat as checked or freight.

But what do I know ????

Unless you got the bargain of the century, that ebike will be a lot cheaper here than USA or EU/UK.

This from someone who priced ebikes here and the USA and China and simply decided to build my own.

ebike conv.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I bought an inexpensive e-bike in Thailand and later regretted it.  It was a locally assembled model using generic Chinese components: frame, motor, control unit, etc. 

Things began breaking pretty quickly.  When the control unit died, it was impossible to replace.  Tires and wheels were terrible.  The slightest sharp bump and a tire would go flat.  I tried better rubber but the 24" rims just weren't up to it.

Legal road use is a huge grey area.  There really is no provision for them in motor vehicle law.  They are usually treated like mo-peds but it really depends on the police.  Mine looked enough like a bicycle that I never got stopped.  Other e-bike users I met who's bikes were more obvious, especially those that looked like motor scooters got stopped a lot because they didn't have plates.

There are a lot of places  in the Pattaya area selling them but very little skilled service available.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

Thanx to all, based on your experiences, I think I'll just wait and purchase locally, I was wanting to buy a good quality bike in US and carry it with me.........there is a possibility I can arrange shipment of the bike & battery via commercial means.  Will update when I get the information and post.   Thanx again        Peace

11 minutes ago, dddave said:

"Bangkok E-Bike" seems to be the most professional dealer in Bangkok.  It's been around for a few years.

https://www.bkkebike.com/

It seems these are not ‘e-bikes’ in the real sense - but conventional bikes with either a hub motor added or a mid-drive added to a conventional frame.

Elegant solutions but not an e-bike as I see them sold in the UK (for example).

It does seem that the e-bike market in Thailand has not yet matured.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 08.43.47.png

Edited by richard_smith237

Is it possible to buy an e-bike in your home country and then have it shipped to Thailand?  It would probably be a better e-bike than what you could purchase locally.  I have no idea what it would cost to ship as freight.  There's also the issue of getting it out of customs.  If it is brand new they might even add on a tax for that.  

• Haha 1

"In short, the answer is no: you can't take an electric bike on a plane. It's all because of the battery. Any rechargeable lithium battery larger than 100Wh is prohibited from being taken onto a plane. Some airlines may allow batteries that are up to 160Wh, but you'll need to ask for permission in advance.Mar 16, 2563 BE"

https://www.furosystems.com/news/can-you-take-an-electric-bike-on-a-plane/#:~:text=In short%2C the answer is,ask for permission in advance.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Is it possible to buy an e-bike in your home country and then have it shipped to Thailand?  It would probably be a better e-bike than what you could purchase locally.  I have no idea what it would cost to ship as freight.  There's also the issue of getting it out of customs.  If it is brand new they might even add on a tax for that.  

That would be a bit counter productive, and shipping, depending on the bike, may cost more than the bike.

They have quality bikes here, if you buy one, with due diligence of research.   They are not cheap anywhere, but I'd guess cheaper here/TH, than USA/UK/EU, since CH friendly import, and so much closer.

Even my DIY bike was not inexpensive, but in the end, better than what I was seeing available at the time.  Since I had the bike, converting it was quite easy.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:04 PM, KannikaP said:

Are they not illegal in Thailand....and many other countries?

E-bikes can be used as long as it meets Electric Assisted Pedal Assist (EAPC) rules set by the DLVA. E-bikes that do not meet their requirements are classified as a motorised vehicle and must be taxed and insured in order to be used on the public highway. Find more information at GOV.UK.Jan 23, 2564 BE

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, digger70 said:

E-bikes can be used as long as it meets Electric Assisted Pedal Assist (EAPC) rules set by the DLVA. E-bikes that do not meet their requirements are classified as a motorised vehicle and must be taxed and insured in order to be used on the public highway. Find more information at GOV.UK.Jan 23, 2564 BE

And yet, there appears to be a 'hands off' policy right now, at least outside tourist areas.  

Which I'm very happy for, as mines is about as illegal as they come.   But I don't flaunt it's capabilities by passing PoPo on the road.   Besides, not wearing a helmet or bounce like I used to, I keep it around 25 kph, so almost incognito.   Though you'd have to be blind not to notice it's motorized.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed. Looked into the e-bike market here. NO quality available. 

1 minute ago, Antiparovian said:

Agreed. Looked into the e-bike market here. NO quality available. 

You didn't look very hard.   Curious what y'all think a quality ebike is ?

Especially from the post you quoted ... what can't you get here that UK has ?

56 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Not much use for over here!

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, there appears to be a 'hands off' policy right now, at least outside tourist areas.  

Which I'm very happy for, as mines is about as illegal as they come.   But I don't flaunt it's capabilities by passing PoPo on the road.   Besides, not wearing a helmet or bounce like I used to, I keep it around 25 kph, so almost incognito.   Though you'd have to be blind not to notice it's motorized.

And you may as well be stone deaf because you cannot hear them coming up from behind you.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thanx to all, based on your experiences, I think I'll just wait and purchase locally, I was wanting to buy a good quality bike in US and carry it with me.........there is a possibility I can arrange shipment of the bike & battery via commercial means.  Will update when I get the information and post.   Thanx again        Peace

Kawasaki E-MTB for 174000฿

EMTB.jpg.23df50d98bbfe1f26ce3230a64af244f.jpg

Kawasaki knows how to do high quality. Might be worth a look. 

• Haha 1