eBike Import

MyFriend You

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You noticed the size ??? (small and medium)

Last year I really struggled to get a 29’er mountain bike...  pretty much contacted every dealer & shop all over Thailand....   closest I go was with Giant and a 2 month lead time on ordering.

Finally found a Scott hard tail...  

Thus - the market for large frame (to fit us Westerners) is  thin enough already - much more difficult for e-bikes I’d guess, even when the market does mature.

I suspect Decathlon will be one of the first to bring in the e-mountain bikes...

They have them in the UK - but not yet here in Thailand. 

Perhaps its worth a shot enquiring to Decathlon... 

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 10.50.51.png

The problem with quality ebikes here is, no Thai is going to pay the same amount a motorcyle would cost here. No one would buy it, except a small percentage of HiSo Thais and foreigners.

Therefore not even optimistic business persons have dared to import a container full of quality ebikes from China (where to 99% all brand names manufacture their bikes) and try to sell it here. 

Acceptable street or city e-bikes selling in Europe under 1.000 Euros, minus the profit of the seller I think you could buy them at the chinese factory for probably around 500 Euros per piece. Plus shipping and (most likely) ridiculous import taxes they are still more expensive than cheap or second hand scooters with combustion engine.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You noticed the size ??? (small and medium)

Last year I really struggled to get a 29’er mountain bike...  pretty much contacted every dealer & shop all over Thailand....   closest I go was with Giant and a 2 month lead time on ordering.

Finally found a Scott hard tail...  

Thus - the market for large frame (to fit us Westerners) is  thin enough already - much more difficult for e-bikes I’d guess, even when the market does mature.

I suspect Decathlon will be one of the first to bring in the e-mountain bikes...

They have them in the UK - but not yet here in Thailand. 

Perhaps its worth a shot enquiring to Decathlon... 

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 10.50.51.png

That's the problem I mentioned. Thailand is not farang land.

Convert the 2.799 GPB to THB, which is 120k and will get you two Honda Wave or one small real motorcycle. No brainer even I'd like to switch to quiet and more environmental friendly e-bikes.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, CLW said:

That's the problem I mentioned. Thailand is not farang land.

Convert the 2.799 GPB to THB, which is 120k and will get you two Honda Wave or one small real motorcycle. No brainer even I'd like to switch to quiet and more environmental friendly e-bikes.

The top 6 on this page, would fill anyone's needs.   I was looking at the 750w/10Ah for 47k, though was a bit less when I was peeking at it.  Couple others weren't available.

Since I had the Schwinn, and converting was simple enough, I got better specs for ~25k (~15k+my bike cost).  Yea, they ain't cheap.   As you can get a DECO motorcycle for 39k.  Though not the thing if wanting to exercise.

More than a few options at BkkBike ????

https://www.bkkebike.com/e-bike-thailand

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

it's looks good, but very low motor /battery specs

X35 Mahle gets mixed reviews 

toys for ignorant elitist

Just a dash of reverse snobbery there !....

The chinese stuff on Lazada is utter rubbish - it may work up and down the soi. 

The bolt on stuff you linked to earlier, again.. bolt on stuff... 

Its kind like the difference between a tuk-tuk and a car... 

You can’t get Haibike in Thailand obviously, but they’ve been in the e-bike industry for a while now and make very good machines...... (or if you can’t afford them, toys for elitists :whistling: )... 

https://www.haibike.com/gb/en/hardtail-mountain-bikes

image.thumb.png.272f8a1dd78358f104d10b25c415a666.png

Edited by richard_smith237

No need to bicker about certain brands or pricing of ebikes that one can afford or not.

Fact is that in Thailand there are not even entry models of factory made ebikes are available.

Only DIY or retrofit and even this at ridiculous prices.

Not everyone needs a fully MTB from Haibike, Canyon or Giant. 

City or Trekking e-bikes would also do for most customers I guess.

image.png.11a4b17afc549aaa93e7742397215524.png

Or if you prefer start-ups and no brand name, you can save another 50 percent

image.png.b3f55f2f15f31db0e0dea031026ea1fd.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 12:58 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

A top of the line eBike could cost upqards to $4000

Sorry buddy but you must have meant bottom of the line e-bike.   This Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo is only $24,200 AUD

Specialized_Levo_Pro-703037.jpg

• Thanks 1