Independence referendum: Scottish government loses indyref2 court case

Scott

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Sorry, beer o'clock here.

Are you sure that oil in the North Sea belongs to Shetland? 

Actually no, I do recall that the oil fields are located  close to some islands and I couldn't recall which ones they were and so I just took a guess and hoped that no one would notice 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Actually no, I do recall that the oil fields are located  close to some islands and I couldn't recall which ones they were and so I just took a guess and hoped that no one would notice 

Interesting. Looks like pulling things out of damp and dark places is becoming increasingly popular.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Interesting. Looks like pulling things out of damp and dark places is becoming increasingly popular.

Could you drop the confrontational attitude ?

My question was whether Scotland would give independence to the islands close to where the oil fields are located

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could you drop the confrontational attitude ?

My question was whether Scotland would give independence to the islands close to where the oil fields are located

"Could you drop the confrontational attitude?"

My apologies if your feathers were ruffled.

"My question was whether Scotland would give independence to the islands close to where the oil fields are located"

That would require a crustal ball but to speculate you might ask yourself if any of these islands (that you cannot recall) have ever asked to be independent?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

"Could you drop the confrontational attitude?"

My apologies if your feathers were ruffled.

"My question was whether Scotland would give independence to the islands close to where the oil fields are located"

That would require a crustal ball but to speculate you might ask yourself if any of these islands (that you cannot recall) have ever asked to be independent?

This is getting difficult .

I will try again .

Would posters on this forum who want Scottish independence also agree  with Scottish islands also becoming independent if those Scottish island made the request  ?

On 11/25/2022 at 10:43 AM, James105 said:

Yes fantasy indeed.   This of course will never come to pass as Scotland will not have another referendum for quite some time, and if in 30-40 years time they did try again then they would vote against independence... again.  The majority of Scottish people do not want to become significantly poorer just to fulfil someones ridiculous and misguided fantasy so would of course vote against it. 

So you're saying the Scots have more sense than the English with their Brexit vote.

• Like 2

Just now, stevenl said:

The majority of Scottish people do not want to become significantly poorer just to fulfil someones ridiculous and misguided fantasy so would of course vote against it. 

Your words, the English choose to become significantly poorer just to fulfil someones ridiculous and misguided fantasy.

Yes, my words that you are attempting to do a Cathy Newman on.   I made no reference to the EU, and was merely talking about Scotland/UK.   

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Having lived in Kirkcudbright for a number of years in the past I wouldn't give them the time of day. They think they're hard done by by the English for stealing their oil. I'm sure they think they'd all be millionaires if it wasn't for us.

A lot of people would be financially better off without the English. They did not get to build the British Empire by being nice to others.

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You asked me a question that you already knew the answer to and I didn't feel like stating  common knowledge , thus I didn't answer the question .

And by doing that you avoided the fact that the English voted pro Brexit. Something you love to do, ignore inconvenient truths.

• Like 1

As an Englishman, a Brit and a UK national (not sure all here actually know the difference), I vote:

1.) Kick the Scots out of the Union. Far too much noise from too few people. What do they actually offer the Union other than bitterness?

2.) Rejoin the EU (if they will have us).

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

And by doing that you avoided the fact that the English voted pro Brexit. Something you love to do, ignore inconvenient truths.

My point is the the vote is counted on the UK as a whole and not divided up regionally , 

I herby state that I acknowledge that the Brexit vote in  England was in favour of leaving ?

Happy with that acknowledgement and acceptance ?

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The whole of the UK voted for Brexit If you remove the Scots and the Irish that voted to leave the EU  their combined leave vote of 1,367,764  Remain would have won with a 98,263 majority

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The whole of the UK voted for Brexit If you remove the Scots and the Irish that voted to leave the EU  their combined leave vote of 1,367,764  Remain would have won with a 98,263 majority

So if there were no Scots or Irish  that voted to leave , the U.K would have remained in the E.U ?

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So if there were no Scots or Irish  that voted to leave , the U.K would have remained in the E.U ?

Correct  Total number of leave votes 17,410,742 deduct Scots and Irish leave votes and your left  with  16,042,978 leave votes 

Remain total votes were 16,141,241 which would have given remain a mojority of 98,263

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Correct  Total number of leave votes 17,410,742 deduct Scots and Irish leave votes and your left  with  16,042,978 leave votes 

Remain total votes were 16,141,241 which would have given remain a mojority of 98,263

Can you statically blame the Scots and Irish for the U.K leaving the E,U ?

If it wasnt for the Scots and Irish voting to leave , England would have stayed in the E.U ?

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Can you statically blame the Scots and Irish for the U.K leaving the E,U ?

If it wasnt for the Scots and Irish voting to leave , England would have stayed in the E.U ?

Yes without the Scots and Irish votes

England  even though  it had a majority leave vote would have been forced to remain in the EU, although I suspect the remain side would be demanding a 2nd referendum as they would have won by such a small margin and they would have declared the result null and void

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Yes without the Scots and Irish votes

England  even though  it had a majority leave vote would have been forced to remain in the UK, although I suspect the remain side would be demanding a 2nd referendum as they would have won by such a small margin and they would have declared the result null and void

E.U ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

If you discount the Irish and Scottish votes in favour of leave then you have to discount those who voted remain. 

You can’t count the votes for one side and not the other, that’s just utter nonsense. 

Plus have you included the Welsh vote in either side?

Edited by Bluespunk
Doing maths