Elon Musk says Twitter will offer 'amnesty' to suspended accounts

Scott

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

In response to the firings, the previous CEO, Jack Dempsey, apologized saying he grew company "too quickly".

If you want deeper understanding,  Search this phrase:  jack Dempsey apologizes grew company too quickly

Google has trouble finding the story, goes back to 2008 about Jack Dempsey.  Google even suggests a 'related' search to help you:   "How was blackbirding different to slavery?"  What!?

Duckduckoo immediately finds at least 50 references from everywhere, all on top.

With me google comes with a great number of hits. You realize it is your echo chamber that is directing your search results?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

With me google comes with a great number of hits. You realize it is your echo chamber that is directing your search results?

Google should not know who I am if I am not signed in. What location are you searching from? I am in Thailand.

EDIT: Yes my mistake, I got the last name wrong. Wonder why Duckduckgo found it so easily?

Edited by rabas

12 minutes ago, rabas said:

In response to the firings, the previous CEO, Jack Dempsey, apologized saying he grew company "too quickly".

If you want deeper understanding,  Search this phrase:  jack Dempsey apologizes grew company too quickly

Google has trouble finding the story, goes back to 2008 about Jack Dempsey.  Google even suggests a 'related' search to help you:   "How was blackbirding different to slavery?"  What!?

Duckduckoo immediately finds at least 50 references from everywhere, all on top.

Did Jack Dempsey, the Manassa Mauler and former world heavyweight champion, come back from the grave to apologize for a company he had nothing to do with?

Now I looked up "Jack Dorsey apologizes for growing company too quickly" via google. Page 10 of the search was still chockful of references to that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Did Jack Dempsey, the Manassa Mauler and former world heavyweight champion, come back from the grave to apologize for a company he had nothing to do with?

Now I looked up "Jack Dorsey apologizes for growing company too quickly" via google. Page 10 of the search was still chockful of references to that.

Yes, see my previous post. But, does that mean Duckduck is a more powerful search engine...

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rabas said:

Google should not know who I am if I am not signed in. What location are you searching from? I am in Thailand.

EDIT: Yes my mistake, I got the last name wrong. Wonder why Duckduckgo found it so easily?

I'm searching from Thailand.

And yes, google will still know your search history, even if you're not signed in. Let me qualify that last statement, I'm convinced they still know your search history and probably a lot more about you as well.

Edited by stevenl

2 hours ago, James105 said:

I find it quite amazing that those who have no idea how to run a business of the scale that Elon Musk has done are chipping in with advice for arguably the most successful businessman on the planet.   Yet these very same people did not feel the need to offer these pearls of wisdom to the previous CEOs who were losing money every year with their shambolic running of Twitter.    

The previous CEO didn't try to change large parts of the company within weeks.

And Musk obviously didn't think much. Like: how can you fire half the people and then think the rest has time to verify large amounts of new accounts. It's obvious that that wouldn't work.

He fired people and then he asked some of them to come back. Is that a smart move?

Obviously he can afford to lose large amounts of money, and maybe he doesn't even care if he and his new toy lose large amounts. Let's see what else comes to his mind.

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yes, see my previous post. But, does that mean Duckduck is a more powerful search engine...

No, but it certainly casts a shadow over Google. Another thing I see in Google a lot lately is that "this is a rapidly evolving story" with no relevant results.

The advertising situation at Twitter has been particularly dire since Musk took over the company in late October.

In recent weeks, half of Twitter's 100 top advertisers have announced they are suspending or have otherwise "seemingly stopped advertising on Twitter," an analysis conducted by nonprofit watchdog group Media Matters found.

They fear being associated with toxic content as Musk, who describes himself as a "free speech absolutist," advocates for laxer moderation.

https://www.rawstory.com/musk-announces-gold-gray-and-blue-badges-for-twitter-accounts-2658785362/

2 hours ago, James105 said:

Elon Musk is worth $262bn.   That's an impossible amount of money to be able to spend in a hundred lifetimes.  Why are you so concerned about what he spends money on?   Maybe his goal is one of altruism rather than profit after witnessing a woke, censorious mob with their itchy fingers on the ban buttons going to town on what has become a de-facto method of sharing news/opinions, so much so they were even influencing elections.   

Bankruptcy of Twitter will affect Musk no more than myself losing a single baht would, but as far as I can tell it is not about to go bankrupt anytime soon.  Twitter has been losing money for the best part of a decade (1.14 billion in 2019, 214 million in 2021).   How long do you think it would take you to turn around that kind of deficit to be profitable?  Would you have kept on all the staff that were not making any meaningful contribution or would you maybe trim off some of the fat?  Would you continue to spend $400m a year on food in the office that no-one turned up to?  Any other tips you can share with Musk to make it turn a profit more quickly?  

Do you think Musk reviewed the job descriptions and performance reports on all of the thousands of people he fired?  If not, how does he know he only fired the non-performers?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You should put personal dislikes aside and tell Mr Musk what he should be doing in regards to running Twitter

Hire someone who knows what he is doing.

Or not firing people who worked there for many years and have a good understanding what is going on.

I think that would be a good start.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Not yet

He's all bluster and no substance, there's no chance he'll get a phone off the ground.

Where would be manufacture it? US or China? At what cost? The US has just banned sale of chips to China. China does not make CPU chips.

Where will he get the chips from? There's a wordwide shortage already.

Where would he market the phone outside of red states in the US? Who would be his main customers? People who hate Google and Apple? They hardly exist.

He has to build an operating system from scratch without infringing any patents held by Apple or Google, good luck with that.

There are two major players in the phone business, Apple and Samsung. Others have failed to gain much market share and some have failed.

Even if he gained a 10% world market share which would be optimistic, that still leaves 90% of phones which can't / won't carry his Twitter app.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As fears grow over misinformation spreading on the social media platform owned by the world's richest man, the official account of the Republican National Committee was called out for posting a fake George Washington quote on Saturday.

The @GOP Twitter account posted a meme featuring a picture of the first president, a quotation mark, and a quote they attributed to Washington reading, "it will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it."

CNN investigative correspondent Andrew Kaczynski reported, "according to Mount Vernon, this quote is fake and George Washington never said it."

https://www.rawstory.com/elon-musk-twitter-2658786044/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Do you think Musk reviewed the job descriptions and performance reports on all of the thousands of people he fired?  If not, how does he know he only fired the non-performers?

1.  I don't think you get to the stage where you are worth $282bn without being quite good at hiring the right people.

2. I don't think someone who just bought a company for $44bn will be reading a single one of those performance reports himself.   Which brings us right back to point number 1.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

As fears grow over misinformation spreading on the social media platform owned by the world's richest man, the official account of the Republican National Committee was called out for posting a fake George Washington quote on Saturday.

The @GOP Twitter account posted a meme featuring a picture of the first president, a quotation mark, and a quote they attributed to Washington reading, "it will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it."

CNN investigative correspondent Andrew Kaczynski reported, "according to Mount Vernon, this quote is fake and George Washington never said it."

https://www.rawstory.com/elon-musk-twitter-2658786044/

As has been repeatedly pointed out to you, there are no "fears about misinformation". The fear is losing control of the (normally false) narratives benefitting the democrat party. And it is true. Musk will make Twitter a level playing field, rules must be applied to by BOTH sides. Not the normal for social media pre Musk for sure.

None of the advertisers raised concerns over the censorship and fallout of Twitter falsely calling Hunter's laptop Russian Disinformation. They didn't even cry foul when the biden regime went full-on 1984 and tried to install conspiracy theorist Nina Jankowicz in a regime controlled Ministry of "Truth" to control what can or can not be said on the internet(she was a notorious laptop denier and pushed the conspiracy theory that Hunter's laptop was Russian Disinformation - it wasn't). If such jaw dropping acts of fascism, disinformation and pure malice didn't get the big companies running ads to raise flags of concern, then nothing will. Nothing short of losing control of a narrative that is.

Twitter has become a much more vibrant and interesting place now that everybody is welcome to play. I had to laugh looking at the WHite house's twitter account. Before when you read comments under a post they were Oh best President ever, ahh such a lovely family etc. Now you'd have to scroll past hundreds of non toadying comments to find one pro regime post. Twitter just got real.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Hire someone who knows what he is doing.

Or not firing people who worked there for many years and have a good understanding what is going on.

I think that would be a good start.

You think Musk got to be as wealthy as he is without being able to hire the right people?   So your advice to Musk (for a company that is losing money every year) would be to keep the same staff responsible for that deficit and not change anything.  Brilliant.   Do you charge for these pearls of wisdom or do you just give them away for free?

• Thumbs Up 1