Elon Musk says Twitter will offer 'amnesty' to suspended accounts

Scott

Then there is this. Focus on "brand safety".

Musk said Friday that “Twitter has had a massive drop in revenue” due to advertisers’ concerns about content moderation and other issues raised by activists.

A number of major companies have paused ads in recent days, including GM, Audi, Pfizer, General Mills, Volkswagen and other big names who are wary of potential changes to Twitter’s policies as well as the departure of top executives. Industry groups have also expressed concern about brand safety under Musk, and The New York Times reported this week that “IPG, one of the world’s largest advertising companies, issued a recommendation … for clients to temporarily pause their spending on Twitter.”

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-losing-advertisers-boycott-193748977.html

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Then there is this. Focus on "brand safety".

Musk said Friday that ........................

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-losing-advertisers-boycott-193748977.html

Worth pointing out that it was Friday the 4 th November that he said that and not Friday today and its three weeks old and not a new story

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Worth pointing out that it was Friday the 4 th November that he said that and not Friday today and its three weeks old and not a new story

Do you think the winds have changed and why? If anything Twitter has become far more toxic since the general amnesty was announced. Maybe Mike Lindell will save him.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

The far left has been exploiting Twitter for years and having anyone who disagrees with them banned.

This is now being reversed and they don't like it. Quelle surprise.

True, but my post was about advertising revenue which is crucial to Twitter's survival.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

agreed, but I suspect it will only be in the short term, or Musk will have other ways to generate revenue.

The other way you allude to is subscriptions. Good luck with that I think. I don't pay subscriptions to any news or media platform. The successful ones are all based on advertising. Facebook's business model is all about advertising.

• Like 2

Advertizers dont like dis

37 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

True, but my post was about advertising revenue which is crucial to Twitter's survival.

That's his biggest problem and he knows it. However advertisers don't like the dishonesty in him.

Elon Admits His Content Moderation Council Was Always A Sham To Keep Advertisers On The Site

Now we’re learning a bit more about Musk’s canceled plans for the “council.” First, in meetings over the weekend he told Twitter employees that the council was always there just as cover for his own decisions, and he’d be the final arbiter of what stays up and what comes down:

https://www.techdirt.com/2022/11/23/elon-admits-his-content-moderation-council-was-always-a-charade-to-hopefully-bring-advertisers-back/

Elon Musk Says He Will Make Final Decisions on Twitter Posts, Despite Content Moderation Council

Elon Musk admitted to his Twitter staff that the platform’s Content Moderation Council is all for show and that at the end of the day he decides what gets posted.

In a video obtained by TMZ, Musk is seen addressing his staff in a Saturday Zoom meeting, where he informs them he has the final say over content shared on Twitter. He added that any evidence to the contrary is “simply not true.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/elon-musk-says-final-decisions-153716931.html

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The other way you allude to is subscriptions. Good luck with that I think. I don't pay subscriptions to any news or media platform. The successful ones are all based on advertising. Facebook's business model is all about advertising.

Some disagree with you:

https://www.trefis.com/data/companies/NYT/no-login-required/5gNimvTR/New-York-Times-Revenues-How-Does-New-York-Times-Make-Money-

https://www.statista.com/statistics/192911/revenue-of-the-new-york-times-company-by-source/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's amazing to see this supposedly smart guy shooting constantly from the hip and also shooting his own feet at the same time.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to think a little? Or maybe a little more? Isn't that what smart people do?

Daddy was rich, 'nuff said.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think it's amazing to see this supposedly smart guy shooting constantly from the hip and also shooting his own feet at the same time.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to think a little? Or maybe a little more? Isn't that what smart people do?

I find it quite amazing that those who have no idea how to run a business of the scale that Elon Musk has done are chipping in with advice for arguably the most successful businessman on the planet.   Yet these very same people did not feel the need to offer these pearls of wisdom to the previous CEOs who were losing money every year with their shambolic running of Twitter.    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could contact him on Twitter and tell him what he should be doing ?

38 minutes ago, heybruce said:

The previous CEO didn't fire or run off half his staff and warn those remaining that the company may have to file for bankruptcy, all while still losing money.

And he paid $44 billion to be in this situation.  A true business genius.

Elon Musk is worth $262bn.   That's an impossible amount of money to be able to spend in a hundred lifetimes.  Why are you so concerned about what he spends money on?   Maybe his goal is one of altruism rather than profit after witnessing a woke, censorious mob with their itchy fingers on the ban buttons going to town on what has become a de-facto method of sharing news/opinions, so much so they were even influencing elections.   

Bankruptcy of Twitter will affect Musk no more than myself losing a single baht would, but as far as I can tell it is not about to go bankrupt anytime soon.  Twitter has been losing money for the best part of a decade (1.14 billion in 2019, 214 million in 2021).   How long do you think it would take you to turn around that kind of deficit to be profitable?  Would you have kept on all the staff that were not making any meaningful contribution or would you maybe trim off some of the fat?  Would you continue to spend $400m a year on food in the office that no-one turned up to?  Any other tips you can share with Musk to make it turn a profit more quickly?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, James105 said:

Bankruptcy of Twitter will affect Musk no more than myself losing a single baht would, but as far as I can tell it is not about to go bankrupt anytime soon. 

Elon Borrow a lot of money to buy Twitter.... The investors will be getting nervous and he will be in the kaka if they call in the debt.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

The previous CEO didn't fire or run off half his staff and warn those remaining that the company may have to file for bankruptcy, all while still losing money.

And he paid $44 billion to be in this situation.  A true business genius.

In response to the firings, the previous CEO, Jack Dempsey, apologized saying he grew company "too quickly".

If you want deeper understanding,  Search this phrase:  jack Dempsey apologizes grew company too quickly

Google has trouble finding the story, goes back to 2008 about Jack Dempsey.  Google even suggests a 'related' search to help you:   "How was blackbirding different to slavery?"  What!?

Duckduckoo immediately finds at least 50 references from everywhere, all on top.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1