Elon Musk says Twitter will offer 'amnesty' to suspended accounts

Scott

27 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The few linux phones available are really for developers and tinkerers, there's no high end linux phones. It's not just the core operating systems, the phone manufacturers typically add many features which require developing and testing. It would take years to get there in meaningful way I would think. Then there are no third party apps available for any potential new phone and wouldn't be for even more years. Most developers won't even bother for a limited market. That was Blackberry's main problem. No 3rd party apps.

You're absolutely correct on this point.

At the moment these companies tend to be small and lack massive funding.

Do you think the worlds richest man (on paper at least) could change that if he chose to go to war with Apple and Google?

I think you know the answer and it's what I said - he could acquire one of the Linux phone companies and then spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing it - just like Google did with Linux when creating Android and Apple did with BSD when creating MacOS/IOS.

That's what Elon Musk does - he buys companies and changes them.

Edited by ukrules

42 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

100% of phones (a modified version). 99% of cloud servers (pure linux). I use linux only on my computers, have done for well over a decade. I'd guess all IoT devices use a linux core. Also, all supercomputers I would think.

38 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Right, that's why musk can easily buy a non apple or android mobile phone company.

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Indeed.

Let's distinguish between the Linux operating system and the user interface built on top of that operating system.  Yes, the operating system is widespread, but after years of competition between many different user interfaces, Apple and Android dominate.  That has been the case for years.  That tells us something about how difficult it would be to bring another operating system on the market and make it competitive.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Do you think the worlds richest man (on paper at least) could change that if he chose to go to war with Apple and Google?

I think you know the answer and it's what I said - he could acquire one of the Linux phone companies and then spend hundreds of millions of dollars developing it - just like Google did with Linux when creating Android and Apple did with BSD when creating MacOS/IOS.

I won't deny that he could. It's way outside his area of expertise and would take so long to ramp up that I doubt that he would do it. Twitter would be dead and buried by the time it finds a platform with a large enough user base to save it. Just my opinion. I think the whole Twitter thing was brain fart in the first place. I have to wonder why Truth Social is languishing in the doldrums. Any thoughts that Musk would finance losses on Twitter for several years is probably fanciful. He might be worth 200 billion on paper but not in cash.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ukrules said:

China has been developing a competing phone OS since before 2014.  Do you think China skimped on resources?  How widespread is its use outside of China?

Musk has done well creating big new companies, in part by acquiring much smaller companies.  However taking over a big existing company with a large customer base and turning into something profitable is new ground for him.  It doesn't appear to be going well.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Tech companies have a very liberal bias so that may be the reason they do not want a level playing field on social media companies, which Musk has set out to achieve.   Maybe they just don't want the thumb removed from the scales come election time.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/most-liberal-tech-companies-ranked-by-employee-donations.html

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

Tech companies have a very liberal bias so that may be the reason they do not want a level playing field on social media companies, which Musk has set out to achieve.   Maybe they just don't want the thumb removed from the scales come election time.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/02/most-liberal-tech-companies-ranked-by-employee-donations.html

The irony being Musk is tweeting from an iphone lol

• Haha 1

Death wish for Twitter?

CNN blasts Elon Musk for sharing fake image on Twitter

On Monday, the billionaire businessman posted an image of CNN anchor Don Lemon alongside a caption reading “Elon Musk could threaten free speech on Twitter by allowing people to speak freely.”

The image appears to suggest that quote came from either Lemon or CNN, but the cable news channel said that was not the case.

“This headline never appeared on CNN,” CNN tweeted at Musk. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-elon-musk-cnn-tweet-20221129-dumlsyrqrzfihold7fmy4thvx4-story.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Death wish for Twitter?

On Monday, the billionaire businessman posted an image of CNN anchor Don Lemon alongside a caption reading “Elon Musk could threaten free speech on Twitter by allowing people to speak freely.”

The image appears to suggest that quote came from either Lemon or CNN, but the cable news channel said that was not the case.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-elon-musk-cnn-tweet-20221129-dumlsyrqrzfihold7fmy4thvx4-story.html

Once again the left demonstrates that it neither understands humour or 'memes'.   

5 minutes ago, rabas said:

Nothing on the table is a real weapon. Each item represents something that Musk admires, it's a riddle, like a puzzle.  Can you solve the riddle?

Freedom, right to bear arms all paranoid fixations from a socially awkward individual

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Death wish for Twitter?

As we know Musk often self deletes tweets and meme's. He deleted another a few hours ago in reference to apple:

Elon Musk shared a tweet, showing that he is willing to 'Go to War' with Apple rather than pay the 30 per cent tax.  However, the billionaire seems to have deleted the tweet. Business Today managed to get a screengrab of the tweet.

https://www.businesstoday.in/technology/news/story/elon-musk-may-go-to-war-with-apple-as-iphone-maker-threatens-to-withhold-twitter-354500-2022-11-29

image.png.8b59f08de5748e5524aa6586fa6115d7.png

4 hours ago, James105 said:

More nonsense. In general scientiists and IT workers have a politically liberal take. Probably because they have respect for evidence. It goes with the job. But someone who claims that because their politics are liberal, therefore they are biased in their work, is someone who has misunderstood the nature of the evidence he presents. Probably not a scientist or IT worker.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, James105 said:

Once again the left demonstrates that it neither understands humour or 'memes'.   

I guess you've forgotten that when comedians posted parodies of Musk, he banned parodies. Then he made it a rule that parodies must be labelled as such when they are posted. Apparently, the rules don't apply to him. But of course, even if he did post it with a warning, it just shows how badly he misunderstands what his role as CEO should be. ANd it was especially stupid given that it's media companies that drive Twitter. You would think that after trying he's incapable of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

I guess you've forgotten that when comedians posted parodies of Musk, he banned parodies. Then he made it a rule that parodies must be labelled as such when they are posted. Apparently, the rules don't apply to him. But of course, even if he did post it with a warning, it just shows how badly he misunderstands what his role as CEO should be. ANd it was especially stupid given that it's media companies that drive Twitter. You would think that after trying he's incapable of it.

He banned people making fake accounts, which they claimed were for parody. He said that accounts impersonating others for parody must now include "parody" in the account name. 

The CNN tweet is not an account, it's a parody meme. People who don't appreciate it may well say it's fake news in their POV.

The actual meme is a well known fake from Genesius Times from April 2022. Musk posted it with no comment likely as one in a series of tweets testing response and new algorithms. When CommunityNotes quickly flagged it,  Musk lauded them by commenting "FTW!". 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

He banned people making fake accounts, which they claimed were for parody. He said that accounts impersonating others for parody must now include "parody" in the account name. 

The CNN tweet is not an account, it's a parody meme. People who don't appreciate it may well say it's fake news in their POV.

The actual meme is a well known fake from Genesius Times from April 2022. Musk posted it with no comment likely as one in a series of tweets testing response and new algorithms. When CommunityNotes quickly flagged it,  Musk lauded them by commenting "FTW!". 

Twitter suspended comedian Kathy Griffin's account on Sunday evening after she jokingly pretended to be Elon Musk on the platform and mocked him in several tweets.

Griffin now joins a range of several celebrities and figures who had their Twitter handles suspended for parodying Musk. A week earlier, the billionaire had declared that "comedy is now legal on Twitter," after buying the platform.

https://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-suspends-kathy-griffins-account-after-she-parodied-elon-musk-2022-11

31 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Twitter suspended comedian Kathy Griffin's account on Sunday evening after she jokingly pretended to be Elon Musk on the platform and mocked him in several tweets.

Griffin now joins a range of several celebrities and figures who had their Twitter handles suspended for parodying Musk. A week earlier, the billionaire had declared that "comedy is now legal on Twitter," after buying the platform.

https://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-suspends-kathy-griffins-account-after-she-parodied-elon-musk-2022-11

She was not banded for a meme.  She changed her official account name to Elon Musk with no indication it was a parody.  

Musk then made a new rule that all parody accounts must clearly include parody in the account name. Her account has now been restored. 

https://twitter.com/hodgetwins/status/1589395345561497601

Edited by rabas

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

She was not banded for a meme.  She changed her official account name to Elon Musk with no indication it is was a parody.  

Musk then made a new rule that all parody accounts must clearly include parody in the account name. Her account has now been restored. 

https://twitter.com/hodgetwins/status/1589395345561497601

I'm aware what she did, its all in the article I linked to, he also said if she really wants her account back, she can have it," he said. "For $8," he added, referencing his proposed paid-verification checkmark system for $7.99 a month.

I guess he said the same to all the others mentioned in the article that also changed their names in a parody of him. 

57 minutes ago, dotcalm said:

That increase in signups probably came from his verification scheme that allowed extremists and scammers to purchase a blue check. However it came with a heavy costs. Half of twitters' top advertisers appear to no longer advertising. Big names like Chevolet, Ford, Merck, Novartis spent USD750 million in advertisement just in 2022. That kind of revenue lost is not sustainable for Twitters in the long run. 

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/25/1139180002/twitter-loses-50-top-advertisers-elon-musk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

No, he didn't ban people from making fake accounts. Fake accounts, parodies or not, were always forbidden. He banned parodists them from using fake handles. What's the significant difference between one kind of deception and the other?

And the thing is, given the propensity of those on the right for believing falsehoods,such as  birtherism, qanon, election fraud, etc I don't think most of those on the right would have understood it was a parody. And calling it "well known" doesn't make it so. 

Likely as a test huh? The owner of the company is putting out fakes under his own name to conduct tests? Give it a rest. Either that or Twitter has one very dim owner.

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

CNN is a parody of itself, but they don't make it clear that they are a parody news network.   Whether that means they should be banned from Twitter under Musks rules I do not know, but I do hope not otherwise I'd miss the CNN classics like this one:

image.png.e2b400fbd33b8897c877febf3ae9314c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yet what he actually said was:

Jimenez reported that the daylight protests “were largely peaceful,” but the situation quickly changed at night.

“What you are seeing now, these images, came and come in stark contrast to what we saw over the course of the daytime hours in Kenosha and into the early evening, which were largely peaceful demonstrations in the face of law enforcement,” Jimenez said.

You have to understand that no matter how many times James105 posts information that proves to be distorted, he's going to go back to the same sources for more. It's significant that he offered no link to the image he posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1