Elon Musk says Twitter will offer 'amnesty' to suspended accounts

Scott

3 hours ago, James105 said:

1.  I don't think you get to the stage where you are worth $282bn without being quite good at hiring the right people.

2. I don't think someone who just bought a company for $44bn will be reading a single one of those performance reports himself.   Which brings us right back to point number 1.  

What "right people" has Musk brought on board at Twitter?  What experience does he have managing a social medial company? 

Musk was forced to make he purchase he didn't want to and is now in over his head.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You are lucky, you don’t seem to have an IP address.

My ISP uses dynamic IP addresses that change frequently, so they don't know who I am.  Hardware MAC addresses are not shared beyond the the local network.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, rabas said:

My ISP uses dynamic IP addresses that change frequently, so they don't know who I am.  Hardware MAC addresses are not shared beyond the the local network.

You you use a private tab that wipes cookies as well? There's no ID there but they can track you.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You you use a private tab that wipes cookies as well? There's no ID there but they can track you.

Firefox erases cookies when I log out. But there is also something called fingerprinting.  In reality, I think the intel agencies, Google, etc. know everything they want. I have no illusions of privacy. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

Firefox erases cookies when I log out. But there is also something called fingerprinting.  In reality, I think the intel agencies, Google, etc. know everything they want. I have no illusions of privacy. 

So then it shouldn't be a surprise Google gave you search results based on earlier sites visited.

59 minutes ago, heybruce said:

What "right people" has Musk brought on board at Twitter?  What experience does he have managing a social medial company? 

Musk was forced to make he purchase he didn't want to and is now in over his head.

I repeat.   Nobody gets to make $200bn by making bad hiring choices.   Why are you worrying your little head about Elon Musk and what he chooses to spend his money on?  He will never be able to spend his existing wealth in 100 lifetimes anyway.   

Also, Twitter was losing money almost every single year over the previous decade.  In 2019 under previous leadership they actually lost $1.14bn.   Did you flag your concerns with the previous leadership about how they were doing a terrible job in the same way you feel obliged to do now that Musk has taken over?    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

As has been repeatedly pointed out to you, there are no "fears about misinformation". The fear is losing control of the (normally false) narratives benefitting the democrat party. And it is true. Musk will make Twitter a level playing field, rules must be applied to by BOTH sides. Not the normal for social media pre Musk for sure.

None of the advertisers raised concerns over the censorship and fallout of Twitter falsely calling Hunter's laptop Russian Disinformation. They didn't even cry foul when the biden regime went full-on 1984 and tried to install conspiracy theorist Nina Jankowicz in a regime controlled Ministry of "Truth" to control what can or can not be said on the internet(she was a notorious laptop denier and pushed the conspiracy theory that Hunter's laptop was Russian Disinformation - it wasn't). If such jaw dropping acts of fascism, disinformation and pure malice didn't get the big companies running ads to raise flags of concern, then nothing will. Nothing short of losing control of a narrative that is.

Twitter has become a much more vibrant and interesting place now that everybody is welcome to play. I had to laugh looking at the WHite house's twitter account. Before when you read comments under a post they were Oh best President ever, ahh such a lovely family etc. Now you'd have to scroll past hundreds of non toadying comments to find one pro regime post. Twitter just got real.

Many are saying that satire is making a huge comeback.  KUTGW

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you have problems with understanding. Let me try to explain it again to you.

He bought a company for many billions. If that company loses millions for a couple of weeks more doesn't really make a difference.

When Musk worked with Tesla I am sure he learned a lot about electric cars and manufacturing and and and. And he applied that wisdom, over years, and the company is sucessful.

With his space company he also spent years to learn and optimize it.

And now?

Now it seems he wants to change a company within days or weeks which is very different from the companies which he managed previously. Does he think it's all so easy that he knows everything already? Does he think it will somehow work half the employees gone? Did he think twice before he made major changes?

Obviously Musk can change whatever he wants to change. But I am pretty sure by now he also realizes that he should have changed things a little slower and think first about the consequences.

I.e. firing people and then begging some of them to come back doesn't sound like a smart move.

And selling subscriptions to verified accounts and then finding out a few days later that this doesn't work is also not really a sign that he though it through.

He could have learned all of that in management 101. Maybe he even did learn it.

And then he thought himself to be so smart to just shoot from the hip. 555

You are not the first "oracle" to predict Musks failure about a business venture and was proven wrong.  

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/13-years-ago-elon-musk-knew-all-of-reasons-tesla-could-fail-so-why-did-he-try-anyway.html

The previous leadership somehow managed to run Twitter at a loss by employing too many people that contributed little to nothing.  Did you flag your concerns to the previous leadership with their approach to running Twitter so badly? 

24 minutes ago, James105 said:

The previous leadership somehow managed to run Twitter at a loss by employing too many people that contributed little to nothing.  Did you flag your concerns to the previous leadership with their approach to running Twitter so badly? 

And you know this because Musk says so?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Not all of them. There are some Linux phones available, a few Billion dollars investment could create a new behemoth.

Linux and Unix (Linux is based on Unix) have been around for many decades, and still both are used primarily by software professionals and engineers.  People have been able to get Linux operating systems for their computers since the '80's, yet only a tiny fraction have chosen to do so.  I wonder why?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

No.  I know this because Twitter was a publicly traded company and they have to report it.   

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274563/annual-net-income-of-twitter/

However:

In 2020, the decline in revenue was due to an advertising slump caused by the outbreak of the global coronavirus pandemic and before that net was not doing to badly at all. 2Q 2022 it slid after the Musk rumours of the takeover.

image.png.3aac56ab44fdec5bbff877056410dd2d.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/299119/twitter-net-income-quarterly/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

As has been repeatedly pointed out to you, there are no "fears about misinformation". The fear is losing control of the (normally false) narratives benefitting the democrat party. And it is true. Musk will make Twitter a level playing field, rules must be applied to by BOTH sides. Not the normal for social media pre Musk for sure.

None of the advertisers raised concerns over the censorship and fallout of Twitter falsely calling Hunter's laptop Russian Disinformation. They didn't even cry foul when the biden regime went full-on 1984 and tried to install conspiracy theorist Nina Jankowicz in a regime controlled Ministry of "Truth" to control what can or can not be said on the internet(she was a notorious laptop denier and pushed the conspiracy theory that Hunter's laptop was Russian Disinformation - it wasn't). If such jaw dropping acts of fascism, disinformation and pure malice didn't get the big companies running ads to raise flags of concern, then nothing will. Nothing short of losing control of a narrative that is.

Twitter has become a much more vibrant and interesting place now that everybody is welcome to play. I had to laugh looking at the WHite house's twitter account. Before when you read comments under a post they were Oh best President ever, ahh such a lovely family etc. Now you'd have to scroll past hundreds of non toadying comments to find one pro regime post. Twitter just got real.

You're an avid Musk fan obviously and want to see his new business venture succeed right? Musk said for it to survive he's relying on subscriptions from users. Have you added the blue tick to your profile and now paying $8 per month for its service or still surfing away for free?

37 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Linux and Unix (Linux is based on Unix) have been around for many decades, and still both are used primarily by software professionals and engineers.  People have been able to get Linux operating systems for their computers since the '80's, yet only a tiny fraction have chosen to do so.  I wonder why?

You've heard of MacOS / IOS right? It started off being built on BSD.

Tiny fraction - don't make me laugh. Half the world is using it in one form or another.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices.     

WIKI

Edited by rabas

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really in the report it said that twitter had too many  employees contributing little or nothing?  and that's why they lost money? Did they mention anything in that report about them being liberal latte drinkers, too? Is that where you got that choice bit of data from?

Common sense will tell you what a companies biggest outgoing is, but since this is lacking around these parts this is obviously a mystery to you.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

You've heard of MacOS / IOS right? It started off being built on BSD.

Tiny fraction - don't make me laugh. Half the world is using it in one form or another.

Please name some of the more popular Linux forms that half the world is using.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices.     

WIKI

Android is a user interface built on a Linux platform, as is Windows and maybe Apple IOS.   Linux alone is not a popular user interface for consumer devices.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Please name some of the more popular Linux forms that half the world is using.

100% of phones (a modified version). 99% of cloud servers (pure linux). I use linux only on my computers, have done for well over a decade. I'd guess all IoT devices use a linux core. Also, all supercomputers I would think.

Edited by ozimoron

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

100% of phones (a modified version). 99% of cloud servers (pure linux). I use linux only on my computers, have done for well over a decade. I'd guess all IoT devices use a linux core. Also, all supercomputers I would think.

Right, that's why musk can easily buy a non apple or android mobile phone company.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Right, that's why musk can easily buy a non apple or android mobile phone company.

The few linux phones available are really for developers and tinkerers, there's no high end linux phones. It's not just the core operating systems, the phone manufacturers typically add many features which require developing and testing. It would take years to get there in meaningful way I would think. Then there are no third party apps available for any potential new phone and wouldn't be for even more years. Most developers won't even bother for a limited market. That was Blackberry's main problem. No 3rd party apps.

Edited by ozimoron