Elon Musk says Twitter will offer 'amnesty' to suspended accounts

Scott

Twitter must come clean on censoring Post’s Hunter Biden laptop story: Musk

Elon Musk has insisted that full disclosure on Twitter’s decision to censor The Post’s exclusive story about Hunter Biden’s infamous laptop is “necessary” in order to restore public trust in the social media giant.

"...Twitter’s new CEO quickly responded: “This is necessary to restore public trust.”

https://nypost.com/2022/11/24/elon-musk-says-full-disclosure-is-needed-on-twitters-censorship-of-the-posts-hunter-biden-laptop-story/

Without free speech, you are one step away from tyranny. Only those who fear the truth would disagree.

Elon Musk says Twitter should release logs on censoring Hunter Biden laptop story ‘to restore public trust’

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-says-twitter-release-172006202.html

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dotcalm said:

What don't you understand about free speech? (except fear it).

I think it's you who doesn't understand the true concept of free speech.  You seem to be ok with hate speech, misinformation, and online threats of violence.  That's just sick man. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You seem to be ok with hate speech, misinformation, and online threats of violence

You are full of assumptions, albeit ridiculous and desperate. Free speech is good, yes or no? Up to you. I make no claims about hate speech, only free speech.

What misinformation and online threats of violence do you allude to in your obvious confusion. You are deflecting and trying to obfuscate and it's daft.

"You seem to be ok with hate..."

and you "seem" to have a hate on and genuine fear of free speech and the TRUTH.

Tell us why you write that I'm ok with hate speech?

Edited by dotcalm
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dotcalm said:

You are full of assumptions, albeit ridiculous and desperate. Free speech is good, yes or no? Up to you. I make no claims about hate speech, only free speech.

What misinformation and online threats of violence do you allude to in your obvious confusion. You are deflecting and trying to obfuscate and it's daft.

Come on, everyone supports free speech.  But there has to be limits if it involves public safety.  For example, would you support banning someone from Twitter for propagating hate, misinformation, and violence?

• Like 1

Biden’s attempt to rope Big Tech into more censorship is downright sinister

"President Joe Biden wants to suppress speech that discourages Americans from being vaccinated against COVID-19. Because the First Amendment doesn’t allow him to do that, he is asking Facebook and other social-media giants to do it for him."

https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/bidens-attempt-to-rope-big-tech-into-censorship-is-downright-sinister/

1 minute ago, dotcalm said:

Biden’s attempt to rope Big Tech into more censorship is downright sinister

"President Joe Biden wants to suppress speech that discourages Americans from being vaccinated against COVID-19. Because the First Amendment doesn’t allow him to do that, he is asking Facebook and other social-media giants to do it for him."

https://nypost.com/2021/07/20/bidens-attempt-to-rope-big-tech-into-censorship-is-downright-sinister/

You sure quote the NY Post quite often....a well known right-wing rag. 

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Come on, everyone supports free speech.  But there has to be limits if it involves public safety.  For example, would you support banning someone from Twitter for propagating hate, misinformation, and violence?

Like this:

Iran's supreme leader calls for Israel's destruction in Twitter screed on anti-Israel holiday

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iranian-supreme-leader-calls-for-israels-destruction-in-twitter-screed-on-anti-israel-holiday

• Thumbs Up 1

The EU is planning a stress test in 2023 before carrying out a full audit. Musk has said he will get twitter ready to comply

EU warns Elon Musk of possible Twitter ban under new rules

Elon Musk has been told he faces "huge work ahead" to bring Twitter into compliance with new European rules on disinformation or face a possible ban.

European Union commissioner Thierry Breton made the comments in a meeting with Mr Musk on Wednesday.

He said the social media site would have to address issues such as content moderation, disinformation and targeted adverts.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63816110

Musk's attempt at that mass email ultimatum and subsequent firing not looking so good for him now. The firing of European VP has been overruled by an Irish Court.

Twitter has reinstated senior Irish executive Sinéad McSweeney following generic ‘firing’ email, High Court told

Twitter has told the High Court that it has restored Irish-based senior executive Sinéad McSweeney to her position with the company.

Last week Ms McSweeney, who is Twitter's global vice president for public policy, secured a temporary High Court injunction preventing the social networking giant from terminating her employment.

She claimed that by not responding to a generic and vague e-mail sent to all of Twitter employees by its multibillionaire owner Elon Musk earlier this month, she was treated as if she was no longer employed by the company.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/twitter-has-reinstated-senior-irish-executive-sinead-mcsweeney-following-generic-firing-email-high-court-told-42185817.html

Reuters Dec 1 2022

Silicon Valley leaders welcome Elon Musk's management of Twitter

Silicon Valley leaders welcomed Elon Musk's management of Twitter, with Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings going so far as to call the billionaire "the bravest, most creative person on the planet."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Musk's attempt at that mass email ultimatum and subsequent firing not looking so good for him now. The firing of European VP has been overruled by an Irish Court.

Twitter has reinstated senior Irish executive Sinéad McSweeney following generic ‘firing’ email, High Court told

Twitter has told the High Court that it has restored Irish-based senior executive Sinéad McSweeney to her position with the company.

Last week Ms McSweeney, who is Twitter's global vice president for public policy, secured a temporary High Court injunction preventing the social networking giant from terminating her employment.

She claimed that by not responding to a generic and vague e-mail sent to all of Twitter employees by its multibillionaire owner Elon Musk earlier this month, she was treated as if she was no longer employed by the company.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/twitter-has-reinstated-senior-irish-executive-sinead-mcsweeney-following-generic-firing-email-high-court-told-42185817.html

This is the email below.   I do not see what is vague about this and if I was a Twitter employee that wanted to keep my job I would have simply clicked on the link and said yes.   Sounds like she was caught out by not bothering to read her emails and was no doubt "working from home" on that day.   I'm sure if she had bothered to go to the office then the people that she worked with would have mentioned this email to her as I am sure it would have been a hot topic on that day.   Either way I suspect that she has only temporarily extended her stay at Twitter and will soon be seeking new employment as I am pretty sure that Twitter will survive without a 'global vice president for public policy' (whatever that means) for an indefinite period of time.      

Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore. This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.

Twitter will also be much more engineering-driven. Design and product management will still be very important and report to me, but those writing great code will constitute the majority of our team and have the greatest sway. At its heart, Twitter is a software and servers company, so I think this makes sense.

If you are sure that you want to be part of the new Twitter, please click yes on the link below:

[Google form link] 

Anyone who has not done so by 5pm ET tomorrow (Thursday) will receive three months of severance.

Whatever decision you make, thank you for your efforts to make Twitter successful.

6 minutes ago, James105 said:

This is the email below.   I do not see what is vague about this and if I was a Twitter employee that wanted to keep my job I would have simply clicked on the link and said yes.   Sounds like she was caught out by not bothering to read her emails and was no doubt "working from home" on that day.   I'm sure if she had bothered to go to the office then the people that she worked with would have mentioned this email to her as I am sure it would have been a hot topic on that day.   Either way I suspect that she has only temporarily extended her stay at Twitter and will soon be seeking new employment as I am pretty sure that Twitter will survive without a 'global vice president for public policy' (whatever that means) for an indefinite period of time.      

Going forward, to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0 and succeed in an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hardcore. This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.

Twitter will also be much more engineering-driven. Design and product management will still be very important and report to me, but those writing great code will constitute the majority of our team and have the greatest sway. At its heart, Twitter is a software and servers company, so I think this makes sense.

If you are sure that you want to be part of the new Twitter, please click yes on the link below:

[Google form link] 

Anyone who has not done so by 5pm ET tomorrow (Thursday) will receive three months of severance.

Whatever decision you make, thank you for your efforts to make Twitter successful.

Isn't that down to the judge in this case to decide regards various EU employment laws.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, James105 said:

[Google form link] 

I'm pretty sure that if she is employed by a European Twitter entity a firing this way won't be legal.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I'm pretty sure that if she is employed by a European Twitter entity a firing this way won't be legal.

Sure, but it does highlight a couple of things about her "work" at Twitter though doesn't it.

1. She isn't checking her emails when she is allegedly "working" at home.

2. We know she wasn't in the office as if she was then she would have heard about this email.

So yes, this firing would not be legal, but I am sure her next firing will be in the not too distant future.    If I was her I'd start looking for a new job as soon as possible but based on the way that she has publicly insulted the head of the company and taken them to court (all in the public eye), I don't fancy her chances of gaining meaningful employment anytime soon, and I doubt there are too many companies out there looking for a "global vice president of public policy", whatever that actually is.   

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Reuters Dec 1 2022

Silicon Valley leaders welcome Elon Musk's management of Twitter

Silicon Valley leaders welcomed Elon Musk's management of Twitter, with Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings going so far as to call the billionaire "the bravest, most creative person on the planet."

I'll take those welcoming gestures with a kilo of salt.  Other billionaires are happy to seem to be buddy, buddy with Musk hoping for future advantages from such a posture.

9 hours ago, James105 said:

Sure, but it does highlight a couple of things about her "work" at Twitter though doesn't it.

1. She isn't checking her emails when she is allegedly "working" at home.

2. We know she wasn't in the office as if she was then she would have heard about this email.

So yes, this firing would not be legal, but I am sure her next firing will be in the not too distant future.    If I was her I'd start looking for a new job as soon as possible but based on the way that she has publicly insulted the head of the company and taken them to court (all in the public eye), I don't fancy her chances of gaining meaningful employment anytime soon, and I doubt there are too many companies out there looking for a "global vice president of public policy", whatever that actually is.   

On what basis do you state she isn't checking her email and wasn't in the office?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Left-Wing Voices Are Silenced on Twitter as Far-Right Trolls Advise Elon Musk

Elon Musk appears to have outsourced decisions about who to ban from Twitter to the platform’s right-wing extremists.

https://theintercept.com/2022/11/29/elon-musk-twitter-andy-ngo-antifascist/

On Twitter, Elon Musk finds comfort in his right-wing 'filter bubble'

Friendly with conspiracy theorists

Since the end of October, Mr. Musk has exchanged ideas with Ian Miles Cheong, a figure of the American alt-right, about 20 times, and about 10 times with conservative activist Tom Fitton of the organization Judicial Watch, and with the anonymous ultraconservative account Catturd. Mr. Musk also spoke with several accounts rooted in Gamergate, an ultraconservative movement born on specialized video game sites.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/pixels/article/2022/11/28/on-twitter-elon-musk-finds-comfort-in-his-right-wing-filter-bubble_6005914_13.html

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 11:35 AM, dotcalm said:

Oh no! Not the all-powerful Ron Desantis!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, stevenl said:

On what basis do you state she isn't checking her email and wasn't in the office?

A Sherlockian smorgasbord of logic, deduction and reasoning. 

1. She didn't read the email so I deduced she didn't check her email.

2. If she had gone to the office everyone would be talking about that email - it would be impossible to be unaware of it.   Since she was unaware of the email I deduced she didn't go to the office. 

It's elementary.   

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

She didn't answer the email, doesn't mean she didn't read it.

Your reasoning fails at the first hurdle.

So you are suggesting she read the email but chose not to answer it even though it explicitly stated that if she did not answer it she would lose her job?    Right.  

36 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I'm stating that it sure is possible. You're leaping to conclusions based on your own perception.

Why would she respond to a threat that is clearly illegal under the applicable labout law?

Who really cares if she read the sodding email?  The things people get worked up about on here is ridiculous.  Let's face it, she won't be winning any employee of the month awards anytime soon, she has publicly insulted the head of the company, she publicly took them to court, and she is well and truly on Musk's firing radar.  If she was a US based employee she would be gone already.   Do you seriously think she has a bright future at Twitter or will be out the door at the first available (legal) opportunity? There is no law in the EU that says someone cannot be fired (so long as the correct process is followed) is there?  

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.....

[When Elon Musk wanted to bring Donald Trump’s account back to Twitter, he turned to one of the platform’s most familiar features to legitimize the move—a poll.]

[There’s just one problem, multiple former Twitter employees say. The social network’s polls are magnets for bots and other inauthentic accounts. They’re literally designed to be spammed and gamed.]

[“Polls are more prone to manipulation than almost anything else [on Twitter]. It’s interesting, given his [Elon’s] use of polls,” he added. Several other ex-Twitter employees gave similar assessments.]

[Musk’s reliance on polls, former employees say, illustrates just how little Twitter’s new owner understands about the platform and the problems he once claimed to be deeply concerned about.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/musk-beloved-twitter-polls-bot-043735366.html

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody.....

[When Elon Musk wanted to bring Donald Trump’s account back to Twitter, he turned to one of the platform’s most familiar features to legitimize the move—a poll.]

[There’s just one problem, multiple former Twitter employees say. The social network’s polls are magnets for bots and other inauthentic accounts. They’re literally designed to be spammed and gamed.]

[“Polls are more prone to manipulation than almost anything else [on Twitter]. It’s interesting, given his [Elon’s] use of polls,” he added. Several other ex-Twitter employees gave similar assessments.]

[Musk’s reliance on polls, former employees say, illustrates just how little Twitter’s new owner understands about the platform and the problems he once claimed to be deeply concerned about.]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/musk-beloved-twitter-polls-bot-043735366.html

Still waiting for one of the forum lefties that celebrated Trump's removal from Twitter(yet not the taliban and other monsters) to point out the offending Tweets that were calling for violence and insurrection. Now is your golden chance to show you were correct and not manipulated by your left wing media into yet another hoaxed outrage.