Seeking A Commercial Property

chiangmaibruce

Hi all. My wife's family has rented a place in the Thapae Rd area for many years - living upstairs. Downstairs they run a small restaurant in one part and a Thai massage shop in the other.

Unfortunately they have been given notice and must move out later this year, so they are desperately searching for an affordable new home/shop. They would prefer to rent but buying is an option at the right price. As many of you would know, decent properties in these areas (for e.g Loy Kroh Rd) are eagerly sought after.

I am just putting out this post in the hope that someone out there may know someone, who knows someone, etc. All leads gratefully received. Cheers

It IS possible though.. For example I know the woman who bought a fairly new (if not brand new) shophouse on Ratchamankha Road very close to the moat. I don't recall the exact price but it sounded completely reasonable to me. (3 million or so perhaps, or 4 maximum).

That would be an excellent investment. Now you just need to go find such a deal... :o The area you're talking about isn't huge, so you (or people in your wife's family, rather) could almost go door to door and inquire. I'd say Thapae Road and along the moat is probably out, but further up Loi Kroh and Ratchamankha Rd is perhaps possible.

Hi all. My wife's family has rented a place in the Thapae Rd area for many years - living upstairs. Downstairs they run a small restaurant in one part and a Thai massage shop in the other.

Unfortunately they have been given notice and must move out later this year, so they are desperately searching for an affordable new home/shop. They would prefer to rent but buying is an option at the right price. As many of you would know, decent properties in these areas (for e.g Loy Kroh Rd) are eagerly sought after.

I am just putting out this post in the hope that someone out there may know someone, who knows someone, etc. All leads gratefully received. Cheers

With all due respect Bruce, surely your wife's family, I assume they are Thai, with their many years of living and running businesses on Thapae Road, would know the lay of the land by now. They must have their own contacts and it would be far better and less costly to use these contacts than to ask readers of this forum, which are in the majority foreigners, to find new premises.

Hi Blinky et al. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, my wife's family have certainly been out and about using friends, neighbours, etc but have (so far) not been able to come up with anything suitable. They haven't actually gone "door to door" (which I have previously suggested/which I would do back home) because it seems this is not the Thai way. I posted here because I have previously seen a couple of people in this forum wanting to lease/sell commercial properties, so "nothing ventured/nothing gained".

Chanchao, if you get the opportunity to talk to your friend about the place she found, then please ask her if she knows about any similar deals and then drop me a line - many thanks in advance!