Nor Sor Si Jor (N.S.4.J or Chanote) certificate

Jaunty

It can be replaced, but not so easily or quickly.

First you need to get a police report. Take the police report to the Land Office with your passport (or Thai ID card for a Thai citizen) and a copy or photo of the title deed if you have one.

Follow the Land Office's instructions. Do let us know how you get on as this topic will be helpful for other members in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, blackcab said:

Take the police report to the Land Office with your passport (or Thai ID card for a Thai citizen)

I don't think that's 100% correct - could just be how you've written it but..........

To the best of my knowledge a replacement Chanotte will only be issued to the registered owner or someone with a Power of Attorney from the registered owner.  Whether or not that person can hold a non Thai passport is probably up to the local office.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't think that's 100% correct - could just be how you've written it but..........

To the best of my knowledge a replacement Chanotte will only be issued to the registered owner or someone with a Power of Attorney from the registered owner.  Whether or not that person can hold a non Thai passport is probably up to the local office.

Non Thai citizens can be registered on the chanote title deed of a condominium unit.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I'm not sure that the title deed for a condo is called a chanotte???

Strictly, the title deed of a condominium unit is an Or Chor 2 อ.ช.2, and not a Nor Sor 4 Jor น.ส.4 จ - however both are commonly called a chanote, which is phrase used by the OP.

I completely accept where you are coming from, however the reason we are having this discussion is because non-Thai citizens can be listed on a condominium title deed and getting back to the OP, if the title deed that was lost belonged to a non-Thai citizen then they would have to take their passport along to the Land Office.

If you ask non-Thai condominium owners what the name of their condominium property deed is I think the vast majority would answer, "Chanote" and very few indeed would answer, "Or Chor Song".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If you ask non-Thai condominium owners what the name of their condominium property deed is I think the vast majority would answer, "Chanote" and very few indeed would answer, "Or Chor Song".

True. Even land department officers call it "Chanote".

21 hours ago, blackcab said:

Strictly, the title deed of a condominium unit is an Or Chor 2 อ.ช.2, and not a Nor Sor 4 Jor น.ส.4 จ - however both are commonly called a chanote, which is phrase used by the OP.

I completely accept where you are coming from, however the reason we are having this discussion is because non-Thai citizens can be listed on a condominium title deed and getting back to the OP, if the title deed that was lost belonged to a non-Thai citizen then they would have to take their passport along to the Land Office.

Thank you for that information - I didn't know the name of a condo deed but I was pretty sure it wasn't a chanotte.  However, the OP's post refers to 'land ownership' and as you know, with a condo, you don't own the land - its similar to leasehold. So he's talking about a straight chanotte.

Like you, I would also be interested to know how he gets along.  Many Thai's think that a chanotte cannot be replaced or at the very least, they say that losing it is a big problem.  It will be interesting to know the level of difficulty, if any, that the OP encounters. 16,000 photo copies for sure ????.

Edited by KhaoYai

56 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Like you, I would also be interested to know how he gets along.  Many Thai's think that a chanotte cannot be replaced or at the very least, they say that losing it is a big problem.  It will be interesting to know the level of difficulty, if any, that the OP encounters. 16,000 photo copies for sure

Here is another member's experience in Pattaya: