Video: "British" man mown down on Pattaya zebra crossing - multiple injuries, will report to police today

webfact

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Thai people don't stop at zebra crossings.

So therefore any person crossing the road has to one hundred percent aware of this and be fully focused on what is going on around them until they reached the relative safety of the other side of the road.

You should never, ever rely upon others for your own safety when crossing the road!!!!!

Don't be daft.  Of course they do otherwise no one would ever be able to cross the road.  
As terrible as this incident is, these types of incident are not that common.

I cross roads all the time and even when there isn't an actual crossing drivers stop for me.  

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Thai people don't stop at zebra crossings.

Exactly(!), that's why when I'm walking I look both ways--even if it's a one way or zebra crossing, and make sure vehicles aren't coming or have stopped. I learned this approx 30 years ago in Pattaya. The pedestrian might have the right of way but will ultimately lose against a vehicle. And on another note; when I stop my car at a zebra crossing I ALWAYS check my rearview mirror for drivers running the lights; I've had close calls many times; had to run the red light on a few of them so as not to be rear ended!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The lights on those crossings on J Sai 2 are only placed on the crossing itself,
as you approach them you cannot see the traffic light unless you are leaning forward with your chin on the steering wheel
they are really poorly placed
not defending anyone, just pointing out an observation

as for the incident
guy steps out and ignores oncoming traffic
driver blind to see an obstacle directly in front of vehicle, regardless whether the traffic light was still in his/her view or not
looking at the video it seems the driver was too close to the crossing to still have the traffic light in view

Edited by patman30

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wow. Didn't even attempt to slow down before the collision.

Either playing with his phone or deliberately struck the guy. 

I wonder if this will get the same media attention as the pretty Thai female doctor hit by the Ducati in Bangkok? That was a rhetorical question obviously....

doubt it very much........

Traffic lights on road crossings in Thailand crazy, Thai's don't respect these lights they only stop when a bigger & faster vehicle prevents them that why they speed up to get through.

As someone who lives here i prefer cross the road without markings

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Not according to this.

"The driver, 61 year old Maethanat Leeliang, gave himself up to the police after the hit-and-run incident in Pattaya. Maethanat told police he was unaware he had hit the foreigner and only found out when the story went viral on social media"

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/driver-surrenders-to-police-after-hit-and-run-in-pattaya

It would be hard to make up a more ridiculous statement, unless he used the old tried & true statement that he tried to stop but his brakes failed & he had to keep going.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:37 AM, emanphoto said:

I don’t know about other countries, but in the US, minor injuries or not, the police come to you!  We don’t get hit by a car and then have to drag ourselves the effen station. Good grief. 
Very lucky guy in any case. 

As they have said, welcome to Thailand.

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Not according to this.

"The driver, 61 year old Maethanat Leeliang, gave himself up to the police after the hit-and-run incident in Pattaya. Maethanat told police he was unaware he had hit the foreigner and only found out when the story went viral on social media"

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/driver-surrenders-to-police-after-hit-and-run-in-pattaya

Blatant bare faced lies!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:29 AM, JonnyF said:

Wow. Didn't even attempt to slow down before the collision.

Either playing with his phone or deliberately struck the guy. 

I wonder if this will get the same media attention as the pretty Thai female doctor hit by the Ducati in Bangkok? That was a rhetorical question obviously....

I was thinking more about will this get the attention that a woman at 4am was groped on walking street got by the police.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, Peterw42 said:

Are Thai embassies in the UK calling the UK government to account, every time someone runs a red light or a Thai person is injured in a car accident.

A person ran a red light and hit somebody, happens all over the world, usually doesn't warrant, or get, an international diplomatic response.

No they dont have too as the police would be already looking for the person.

9 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

Only problem with Thai roads  are the police are absolutely useless and don't  know or enforce the traffic laws. Easier to stop a tourist and collect lunch money. Another failure of Government which is only interested in self promotion and self wealth.

The government is entirely representative of the people.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:38 AM, BangkokHank said:

He slowed down at first because he thought he had hit a dog, but when he realized that it was "just" a farang, he concluded that it wasn't necessary to stop.

The dog could have been his grandmother in her next life meaning a visit to the local Wat,a Farang - never! ????

• Thumbs Up 1

I have it on good authority that British man Peter Palmer will have to pay for the damage to the pickup truck that hit him,plus a contribution to the tea fund of the Pattaya Police for taking up their valuable time?

As for the Thai driver he has visited the Wat and been told by the Abbot there that he is absolved of all blame,as he was wearing the correct amulet coincidentally sold to him by the same Abbot!

He has been told that he had a VERY lucky escape with only his pickup being damaged and will now add the number 5,the distance in metres that the troublemaking Farang was thrown,to his lottery numbers so everyone’s a winner hopefully?

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Not according to this.

Total <deleted>