Video: "British" man mown down on Pattaya zebra crossing - multiple injuries, will report to police today

webfact

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Sure they do. My buddy managed to get four lanes of peak hour traffic to stop for us at a zebra crossing in Chinatown a few months back. It was scary as hell and I think at least one motosai popped through, as expected, but all the cars stopped and we got across fine. 

Was traffic moving at 2km/hr?

No change of speed, no change of direction, guess the driver was sending a message on their phone and was oblivious to everything else.

Surely the police could follow the CCTV trail to see where they came from and where they went to, and get better shots of their license plate. 

If they cared, which they obviously don't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

If the British (and other) embassy here cared at all about the well-being of their citizens they would be calling the Thai government to account for this, with the message that tourists expect traffic to stop at marked crossings and that they must either be enforced or removed.

Yeh I was thinking the same, zebra crossings in thailand are for being run over on & they should be removed, the same applies to roundabouts!

Hmm this  guy must be a tourist first time in Thailand not an expat interpreter sure or just ignorant with death wish.The way he tried to cross the street without looking, with incoming cars is not the smart thing to do here in Thailand.Like another poster said thais never stop at a zebra crossing.Hope he gets better soon but he has to blame himself at least a bit for trying to cross the way he did.The driver was probably scared the car behind him will bump into him if he stops at the zebra crossing.Most thais I know don't even know a zebra crossing

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even in the West you wait until the car has stopped or slowed right down before you cross, as an expat he should have been more aware, no excuse for the driver I know, but the car was showing no signs of stopping, and still he walked in front of it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Peter was more than lucky there.

Made of stern stuff, that's for sure!

Let's hope they get the chicken driving the truck.

I think that "lucky" would have been if the truck missed him. Multiple stitches, possible fracture, and the perp getting away doesn't sound very lucky to me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Even in the West you wait until the car has stopped or slowed right down before you cross, as an expat he should have been more aware, no excuse for the driver I know, but the car was showing no signs of stopping, and still he walked in front of it

Might have been a momentary lapse of attention, mentally preoccupied, drunk, etc., very likely he knew / knows about paying attention. No doubt his memory is now refreshed. having ridden a motorcycle in the US for decades, my reflexes and attention span are well trained to expect and anticipate these things. You might call it thinking and awareness in 3 dimensions, being aware of all moving objects within a radius. Yet, my attention can lapse because of attention deficit. I would say that being sure that the driver sees you is the best way to go. That's what I do whenever I cross a street in Thailand. There is a certain skill to it at times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

If the British (and other) embassy here cared at all about the well-being of their citizens they would be calling the Thai government to account for this, with the message that tourists expect traffic to stop at marked crossings and that they must either be enforced or removed.

It's welcome to Thailand! Anybody will any sense when crossing any road checks to see if anything is coming even when people stop for you!!! Every day you see cars and motorcycles flying through crossings.

I hope they catch the driver of the pickup and the guy who was hit makes a full recovery.

Police when doing traffic checks should also check number plates as a lot of people white the number out so as to avoid speeding tickets etc! 

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The problem here is is the increasing number of vehicle owners who spray paint their license plates white, in order to avoid detection by camera's. It's a prolific and obvious problem that nobody seems to care about, some of the abuse is so blatant with owners saying the black paint peeled off, not that the plate was painted white...horse poo..

There are many, many more drivers in Thailand that remove the number plate completely.

Obviously to avoid the speeding fine cameras and incidents like this.

All too easy to just say if stopped and asked by plod " Oh ! it must have fell off "

I guess all this just falls into the can of Traffic Violations that are rife 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The problem here is is the increasing number of vehicle owners who spray paint their license plates white, in order to avoid detection by camera's. It's a prolific and obvious problem that nobody seems to care about, some of the abuse is so blatant with owners saying the black paint peeled off, not that the plate was painted white...horse poo..

In fact the black paint does slowly disappear. So not painted white. I received a notice by mail that I was to go to the licence bureau to get a free replacement set of plates. Strange thing is that only the rear plate lost the black paint. 

Same thing happens every day here on every supposed marked crossing. It is indicative of the lack of care and general indifference to other people. I can see one crossing from my condo, directly adjacent to a large hospital and I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people being carted off injured after trying to cross over during the last 4 or 5 years. They installed traffic lights at the crossing a few months ago and at the same time removed some bollards, now it's a motocy  shortcut because there are no bollards to deter them. So pedestrians now have motocys  cutting in front of them on the walk path as well as the other a s s hole traffic that still doesn't stop.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

The black coming off was actually an issue with a batch of plates in the past, but this was years ago and all affected plates "should" have been replaced by now.

It still is very much an issue.

My rear license plate is like new but the front one has been touched up a few times. The paint wears off due to air friction, and insects et. al.

• Like 1

...what upsets me is the total disregard for a pedestrian trying to cross a road, regardless of whether there is a pedestrian crossing or not, the sheer cruelty of this is unforgiveable. As we have seen and read in the past, it matters not if you are a students or an infamous ophthalmologist or an everyday noodle vendor. This is attempted manslaughter by reckless driving in my opinion. The mere fact the pedestrian crossing is painted clearly, lights are installed just compounds the seriousness of incident. There can not possibly be any mitigating circumstances that the driver could offer. A stiff jail term and life suspension of his licence(s); and if he just happens to not have one, then a life-time ban on driving/riding any vehicle.

• Like 1

From the original article:

"the aforementioned pickup truck (showed) no sign of slowing down. Instead, he continued to drive away with his face blank. like nothing happened... "

If true, this guy is an outright sociopath and should have his driving lisence terminated immediately and be subsequently jailed. Don't blame this one on Thai culture or lack of driving laws. 5 months ago I went to a Thai "only" driving school for my motor cycle licence. I had to pass a Thai proficiency test orally and in writing before I was accepted. There were ample videos and exam questions regarding the importance of coming to a full stop at a red traffic light and giving way to pedestrians. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Same thing happens every day here on every supposed marked crossing. It is indicative of the lack of care and general indifference to other people. I can see one crossing from my condo, directly adjacent to a large hospital and I have lost count of the number of times I have seen people being carted off injured after trying to cross over during the last 4 or 5 years. They installed traffic lights at the crossing a few months ago and at the same time removed some bollards, now it's a motocy  shortcut because there are no bollards to deter them. So pedestrians now have motocys  cutting in front of them on the walk path as well as the other a s s hole traffic that still doesn't stop.

Pedestrian Boom Gates may work!

There are quite a few pedestrian crossings with Lights in Pattaya. Try t use them and walk when you have a green light. I believe at least 30% (on a good day) of the cars simply do not stop or even slow down! Tourists may believe it is safe to cross when they show a green light.

WRONG!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, emanphoto said:

I don’t know about other countries, but in the US, minor injuries or not, the police come to you!  We don’t get hit by a car and then have to drag ourselves the effen station. Good grief. 
Very lucky guy in any case. 

Yeah... if he was in a wheelchair he probably couldn't get in. 

• Haha 1