Cannabis law disputes in Thailand continue, as pro and opposition groups debate over “Smoking Rooms” and other issues

webfact

Smoking Rooms were just banned last week, with the medical treatment exception.

Now some groups want smoking rooms.

Just treat public smoking of cannabis the same as you do for tobacco, shisha, vaping, etc.

I have yet to smell cannabis in public, and I live nearly on top of an entertainment zone in Bangkok, with at least a dozen dispensaries within a 2 Km radius. Even then I'd welcome the smell of cannabis compared to the general rotting, fetid smell of Bangkok, cigarette smoke, vehicle exhaust. And who can forget burning season.

Whenever people complain here about something the usual response is, "if you don't like it then leave". In this case, if you are offended simply file a police report as it is illegal to smoke cannabis in public if you are causing a public nuisance.

3 hours ago, sezze said:

Just out of Pattaya , staying around Buakhao . The stench at many places is incredible. This is not at the legal places but just around and in some bars. Smoking stinks too, but this is a whole different lvl in my opinion. Idk how to solve that, but for me it really smells so bad that if i smell it , i try to move fast to another place.

what are you 12 ? 

i just came back from buakhao too. the stench at many places is incredible. the stench of stale beer and p8SS revolts me. this area of thailand takes this stench to a whole new level. 

for me it smells really bad so i try to move to another place,. 

Really?

The government can not even (or does not want to) enforce

non smoking laws for cigarettes .

People still smoke in restaurants and other places they are not allowed to.

It kind of makes me laugh that some people who smoke cigarettes are now

complaining about Ganja smell.

How does it feel?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, jingjai9 said:

There is evidence that marijuana does affect a driver's reaction time and perhaps judgement of distance. Here is a link:

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-drivi

Difficult for a lay person to draw any definitive conclusion. The article cites 113 links to a huge variety of scientific papers.

I guess the point is, if YOU believe getting stoned will affect your driving, then DON'T. Same with alcohol. Get a taxi. 200 THB maybe, shared possibly. Your life and others', spared. For a few quid.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Smoking Rooms were just banned last week, with the medical treatment exception.

Now some groups want smoking rooms.

Just treat public smoking of cannabis the same as you do for tobacco, shisha, vaping, etc.

I have yet to smell cannabis in public, and I live nearly on top of an entertainment zone in Bangkok, with at least a dozen dispensaries within a 2 Km radius. Even then I'd welcome the smell of cannabis compared to the general rotting, fetid smell of Bangkok, cigarette smoke, vehicle exhaust. And who can forget burning season.

Whenever people complain here about something the usual response is, "if you don't like it then leave". In this case, if you are offended simply file a police report as it is illegal to smoke cannabis in public if you are causing a public nuisance.

I have yet to smell cannabis in public, and I live nearly on top of an entertainment zone in Bangkok, with at least a dozen dispensaries within a 2 Km radius.

i live near banglampu and am often round about that (tourist/backpacker) area, while there are many shops and street vendors selling marijuana i have yet to see or smell anyone smoking on the street. i thought it would be rampant.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

prohibit venues from allowing customers to smoke cannabis because it could lead to problems such as traffic accidents

he says, based on thin evidence at best.  "a large case-control study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found no significant increased crash risk attributable to cannabis after controlling for drivers’ age, gender, race, and presence of alcohol."  Compton RP, Berning A. Drug and Alcohol Crash Risk. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; 2015. DOT HA 812 117.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Difficult for a lay person to draw any definitive conclusion. The article cites 113 links to a huge variety of scientific papers.

I guess the point is, if YOU believe getting stoned will affect your driving, then DON'T. Same with alcohol. Get a taxi. 200 THB maybe, shared possibly. Your life and others', spared. For a few quid.

I'm pretty sure there is more scientific discussion here in this one comment than the Thai government is basing their policies on.  It's all political, economic and religious. Kind of like climate change. 

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Translation: "There are currently no powerful families enriching themselves from the recreational marijuana business. We reserve the right to revise our medical opinion once any such families have been identified." 

As it might happen soon. And then you have CP cannabis clinic with 7-11 and smoking room

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Regulations around cannabis may be tightened if shops continued to circumvent rules to sell cannabis for recreational purposes.

Anutin said: " cultivation for medicinal purposes only"

reality.. free-for-all.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

but we already had a regulation to prohibit venues from allowing customers to smoke cannabis because it could lead to problems such as traffic accidents.”

As opposed to alcohol drinking that leads to very safe driving and no accidents at all?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello,

Stop ????!! Your whining !! If you spent more time discussing drinking and driving problems and children being sold alcohol in Thailand, More then two people on motorcycles without helmets and multiple people in the back of pickup trucks !! 

Hmmm. I get the "Stop your whining" bit, but then there's a long "if" clause with no "then" clause. The topics you suggest for discussion are endlessly thrashed out on this forum, to no avail. It's just the way it is.

• Like 2