A question about Pensions

Maybe someone better informed than me can answer this question.

Sitting on the sofa this evening a got a bing message on Line. It was from someone called Nok ? Don't know any Noks ? Thought it was a scammer. But it turned out to be my dentist of many years ( I'm her only British patient ) and once I knew that , I was ready to help answer her question which is. ( her words )

Is it true that the beneficiary of a pension does not necessarily have to be a relative or someone in the family ?

A bit vague. I asked if it was a government pension ( old age ) or from a private company ? I thought if government probably need to be a relative but if from a private company it could be a nominee outside the company.

She sent me this : ( private company )

image.png.4a3875cba48b187b2f958c78b2a2ea4b.png

Looks like a legit company so how should I answer her question ? Yes it is not necessary to be a relative if the pension is from this company ?

Thanks in advance to any experts on pensions about which I know little.

PensionBee is a UK company, they are an online pensions consolidator. In the UK at least there are tax issues associated with pensions, I don't understand what the connection is with them and Thailand. But as to the question whether the beneficiary of a pension can be different from the person who earned the pension, I IMAGINE/GUESS no, because of the tax implications.

EDIT: Except after death of the pension fund owner that is.

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the answers.

Seems it's pretty much as I told her. State pension only for wife ( one off payment and need to reside in UK )

Private pension will need to be named as beneficiary on the policy and will be liable for UK taxes.

Thanks. She is not married to a foreigner. Best dentist I ever had and pretty much retired now as only does work for her regular clients. She asked because she was curious about something but did not say what, probably asking for a friend.

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

If the 'widow' has settled in the UK and has British citizenship, she is entitled to a state pension when she reaches  age 67/68. provided she has a minimum of 10 National Insurance credits. For each credit, she would currently receive 1/35th of the state pension, likely to be around £200 a week from next April. If she lives in Thailand it will be frozen.

Thanks. She is Thai with a Thai husband so not sure why she is asking but will pass on all the information.

Thanks again for all answers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, topt said:

Depending on the individual scheme rules they could also allow a "dependant" who could be someone else you nominate directly with them. like an unmarried partner for example. However if not nominated by the policy holder before death I would suggest unlikely to be given.

Unmarried partner certainly - I think I referred to wife/partner.  Gays cannot marry in Thailand so there is a perfect example of a financially dependent nomination; another might be a minor child (you wouldn't get approved for a 40 year old daughter).

I have been together with my GF for 16 years and we have no intention of marrying. The trustees accepted my nomination for her 15 years ago.

7 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

According to the Gov.uk website, that one off bereavement payment is only paid to eligible people in certain countries, and Thailand isn't one of the countries on the list.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/bereavement-benefits

If she had a NI number and had lived/worked in the UK does not matter 

16 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

If she was officially registered and has a NI number, then yes

I don't believe so. I will happily stand corrected but I believe that you have to be domiciled in the UK to claim. 

From the House of Commons notes on the Pensions Bill:-

Bereavement support payment

Steve Webb: I beg to move amendment 1, page 14, line 11, after ‘dies,’ insert—

‘() the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies,’.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

If she had a NI number and had lived/worked in the UK does not matter 

From gov.uk re bereavement payments:-

Your partner

You could be eligible if your partner either:

paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks in one tax year since 6 April 1975

died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work

When they died you must have been:

under State Pension age

living in the UK or a country that pays bereavement benefits

You cannot claim Bereavement Support Payment if you’re in prison.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-support-payment

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't believe so. I will happily stand corrected but I believe that you have to be domiciled in the UK to claim. 

From the House of Commons notes on the Pensions Bill:-

Bereavement support payment

Steve Webb: I beg to move amendment 1, page 14, line 11, after ‘dies,’ insert—

‘() the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies,’.

Unless the rules have changed from when I was Power of Attorney to a Thai lady whose British husband had died, I obtained the bereavement due to her, also and she still gets monthly from his old private pension 

1 minute ago, Expat68 said:

Unless the rules have changed from when I was Power of Attorney to a Thai lady whose British husband had died, I obtained the bereavement due to her, also and she still gets monthly from his old private pension 

She also receives her state pension 

After recently advising the Pension Service of the death of state pension recipient, I received the following reply from them

........... as his widow lives in Thailand there is no Bereavement Support Payment Payable.  This is because Bereavement Support payment is classed as a death grant and was introduced by the UK government in 2017.  The death grant is only payable in certain countries however it is not payable in Thailand.  I am sorry that I cannot offer you a more favourable reply.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

She will if she has made contributions in her own right.

The UK domicile rule was sneaked in in April 2016 in the Pensions Act 

Wow!! I did not know that. Question for you? What if the Thai lady is a holder of a British Passport?

On 12/1/2022 at 6:57 AM, Expat68 said:

Your state pension is only your spouse and that now is only a one off payment (bereavement) about £2,000 to £2,500, forget figure 

Sorry M8, The Spouse Bereavement Payment has been Discontinued a Couple of Years ago ....My Wife will get NOWT When I Depart this mortal coil....Even though She did pay NIC's for the 8 or so years She lived in the U.K. With me....

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Sorry M8, The Spouse Bereavement Payment has been Discontinued a Couple of Years ago ....My Wife will get NOWT When I Depart this mortal coil....Even though She did pay NIC's for the 8 or so years She lived in the U.K. With me....

Unlucky, 10 years would have got her something.

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Unlucky, 10 years would have got her something.

I believe she can make a couple of voluntary contributions to take her to 10.  However, even if that is possible, the rules may well change again before she reaches state pension age, which depending on her current age could be 68 or more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

if we have chosen to finish out our lives in Thailand's  we get the scraps the basics ..no increase nothing sweet FA ..price we pay to be here eh

Nobody cares about us and there is definitely no empathy, for our position, from those living in the UK.

As you suggested, we have made our beds so we must lie in them.......

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Thanks for that. Christ they are screwing us expats whichever way they can