Should I let my drivers license from back home expire and just have the Thai DL?

jack71

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

What would happen if you ever needed to return and your Thai drivers license expired while you were there, Buddha forbid that ever happening, but you would have to sit for the tests all over again until you passed, public transport would be ok in the interim until you could obtain your license again, i.e. if you weren't living in the sticks.

The above said, I would have done the same if I didn't return every 2 or 3 years for a brief holiday. Truth be said, from a recent trip, I found it to be an absolute sheet fight on the roads there, (Sydney), red light cameras, speed camera's, highway patrols, council rangers, brown bombers, etc, etc that we were used to, still the same.

I only hired a car for a day when I was there, that was enough, public transport and walking was much easier and saved me a few $'s, it does help when you have the time as well.

What would happen if an asteroid hit Earth? I said I have no intentions of ever returning and there is no possible reason I ever would.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Regarding your passport, you won't need to show that either, just your current Thai driver's/riders license upon renewa

This must depend on your specific DLT.

I have had to show my passport and give copies for every renewal if only to show what visa/extension I am on - the local DLT will only give you a new or further 5 year licence on a longer term permission to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMO - if you have an address in the UK keeping your UK DL is a no-brainer. 

I have my parents address.. so I keep a UK licence..... 

When I worked in Dubai recently, I needed to get a UAE driving licence... 

Extremely simple with a UK licence.. I booked an appointment, turned up at the RTA office and within 10mins had been issued a licence based on my UK Driving licence. 

This was not possible with a Thai Licence - I would have had to do a full test. 

Thus: for want of a better description; some countries recognise difference between licences from ‘developed nations’ and those from ‘developing nations’... 

Thus: for the sake of filling out an online form (20mins) and paying £25...  If you have a UK address to which the DVLA can send their licence, do it. 

IF you are from a different country (I’m assuming DL renewal is just as easy as it is in the UK). 

Not possible in my home country. Drivers License issued only if registered to live in my home country (living there and paying taxes). Don't assume too much.

Edited by Thalueng
  • Thumbs Up 1

I got my first Thai license while my US license was still valid.  Right after that I let my US license expire.  When it came time to renew my Thai license I did not have any problems.  I’m not sure about the EU but I no trouble renting a car in the US with my Thai license.  I could have easily renewed my US license but I wanted to make sure I did not have too many connections to the US.  Since I can show my country of residence is Thailand, I do not need to pay US income tax on my retirement income.

• Like 1

My UK driving Licence expired and I also have a Thai Driving Licence.  I renewed my UK Driving Licence online, using my parents UK address to get the card delivered.

I believe you can use your Thai Driving Licence,  overseas,  UK for sure,  don't know about other countries.

I guess it depends on your home country,  but it might be useful to renew if you can. 

5 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Get an International Driving Permit for 10 years online before license expires. 

There is no valid IDP that can last for more than 3 years, the vast majority are limited to 1 year and they require that the IDP is backed by a current license. So good try but no cigar.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Extremely simple with a UK licence.. I booked an appointment, turned up at the RTA office and within 10mins had been issued a licence based on my UK Driving licence. 

Thus: for want of a better description; some countries recognise difference between licences from ‘developed nations’ and those from ‘developing nations’... 

Thus: for the sake of filling out an online form (20mins) and paying £25...  If you have a UK address to which the DVLA can send their licence, do it. 

IF you are from a different country (I’m assuming DL renewal is just as easy as it is in the UK). 

Well thought out advice, many thanks. I am approaching expiry of pink paper licence valid until 70 years. Haven't driven either in UK or abroad for ten years so need to decide what to do.

8 hours ago, bradiston said:

I renewed my UK licence online. Free, at least fo my age group. Good for another 10 years. Sent to my daughter's address in the UK.

How did you do that?  UK licence renewals are only free for the over 70s.  Those over 70 do not get 10 years, 3 is the maximum before another renewal.

• Like 1

Depends if you plan on returning at all, or for more than a 1 year visit.  

How long you been here ? If only a year or 2, then you may want to renew, until you are sure Thailand is for you on a permanent basis.  Small cost for less hassle if returning.   Surely it can be done online.

I let mine expire, knowing I wasn't returning anytime soon, and turned out, not at all, as planned that way.   No prob, if I do, doubtful, but simple enough to get one.   I wouldn't need my motorcycle or truck endorsements anyway, if back in USA.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is not true. I renewed 2 years ago at 73 and no medical was required.

It is due again next year but this time I will let it expire as very unlikely i will ever drive again in the UK.

My mother did hers online a few days ago, we filled out the forms online, it was free and there was no mention of any medical or eye test.

It asked her if she required glasses for distance vision - which she doesn't so she answered no. I filled out the forms for her as she's not 100% on the internet these days - I did it for her over one of those remote control apps on her windows laptop.

She's nearly 80. It hasn't arrived yet but it's only been like 3 days so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

You shouldn't renew a UK Driving Licence using a friend or relative's address.  You are putting them at risk.

For example, if through some unexpected reason you are sued, they will do an address search with DVLA, you would probably get a Country Court Judgement against you at that address and any bailiff's would be allowed to take items from that address unless the resident there kept receipts in his name for all of them, and who ever does that?

"You shouldn't renew a UK Driving Licence using a friend or relative's address.  You are putting them at risk".

Not to mention that it's illegal for non-residents.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ignis said:

never bothered to renew my UK license, cannot see myself ever returning to the UK. [needs to be renewed every 3 years + Medical for the over 70's]

The UK does not require a medical examination/report to renew a licence at age 70 under normal circumstances, just self-certification.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Well thought out advice, many thanks. I am approaching expiry of pink paper licence valid until 70 years. Haven't driven either in UK or abroad for ten years so need to decide what to do.

Well, it's advice but not exactly "well thought out advice" even though that's what a lot of us do!   It is illegal if you're not resident in the UK and, if discovered, such as in a normal police traffic stop, your licence would be invalid.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Well, it's advice but not exactly "well thought out advice" even though that's what a lot of us do!   It is illegal if you're not resident in the UK and, if discovered, such as in a normal police traffic stop, your licence would be invalid.

I wonder what a UK policeman would do if he stopped you for a minor traffic infringement? mandatory fine on a UK DL, or lots and lots of paperwork on a Thai DL.....  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wonder what a UK policeman would do if he stopped you for a minor traffic infringement? mandatory fine on a UK DL, or lots and lots of paperwork on a Thai DL.....  

UK residents have to use their UK driving licence when in the UK, you don't get the choice of which one to present.   If the normal police checks show that you're not registered at the address on your licence you'll have to try to explain why you're using a licence with that address (changes of address have to be notified to the DVLA).   When you can't, you'll be done for driving without a valid licence in addition to any other offences.   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I think you can drive in the UK on your Thai driving Licence for a specific time

You may need in conjunction with international form (same as you would need if driving in Thailand on UK licence) you can obtain from  vehicle licence center 

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

UK residents have to use their UK driving licence when in the UK, you don't get the choice of which one to present.   If the normal police checks show that you're not registered at the address on your licence you'll have to try to explain why you're using a licence with that address (changes of address have to be notified to the DVLA).   When you can't, you'll be done for driving without a valid licence in addition to any other offences.   

Interesting... 

So theoretically, IF we hold a UK licence, thats the ONLY licence we can hold. 

Yet, in Thailand, if on a resident visa we must have a Thai Driving licence. 

Thus in practice complying perfectly with the regulations of individual countries is not realistic... I live in Thailand and have a Thai licence and in the UK and have a UK licence, and when resident in Dubai I had a UAE licence (3 licences in total). 

Of course... being 100% legal forces me to hand in the UK licence, yet, as a resident of the UK when in the UK I must drive on a UK licence and when resident in the UAE I have to drive on a UAE licence etc... (at one point this year I held resident status in 4 different countries).

There is an overlap in what different ‘land transport offices (i.e. DVLA / DLT / RTA) require. 

Complying perfectly with the regulations in each country is not possible. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1