Should I let my drivers license from back home expire and just have the Thai DL?

jack71

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

UK residents have to use their UK driving licence when in the UK, you don't get the choice of which one to present.   If the normal police checks show that you're not registered at the address on your licence you'll have to try to explain why you're using a licence with that address (changes of address have to be notified to the DVLA).   When you can't, you'll be done for driving without a valid licence in addition to any other offences.   

Expand  

Interesting... 

So theoretically, IF we hold a UK licence, thats the ONLY licence we can hold. 

No, I did not say that.  Holding licences from other countries is legal but a UK resident with a UK licence has to use their UK licence when driving there.   

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting... 

So theoretically, IF we hold a UK licence, thats the ONLY licence we can hold. 

Yet, in Thailand, if on a resident visa we must have a Thai Driving licence. 

Thus in practice complying perfectly with the regulations of individual countries is not realistic... I live in Thailand and have a Thai licence and in the UK and have a UK licence, and when resident in Dubai I had a UAE licence (3 licences in total). 

Of course... being 100% legal forces me to hand in the UK licence, yet, as a resident of the UK when in the UK I must drive on a UK licence and when resident in the UAE I have to drive on a UAE licence etc... (at one point this year I held resident status in 4 different countries).

There is an overlap in what different ‘land transport offices (i.e. DVLA / DLT / RTA) require. 

Complying perfectly with the regulations in each country is not possible. 

Expand  

The answer is to drive in the UK on your Thai license and avoid all traffic fines as they don't bother to fine overseas visitors for minor traffic offences.

That's only the answer if you seriously think that UK police would not be curious about an apparently British person presenting a Thai licence.   That would just be the start of your traffic stop.   

Overseas licence holders do get tickets for traffic offences; if the officer establishes that the offender has a satisfactory UK address a ticket can be issued, if he decides that the address is not satisfactory he will require a roadside deposit – for speeding this will be £100. However, if the offence is to be prosecuted at court the deposit will be £300.  If you can't pay the deposit immediately, your vehicle may be prohibited and immobilised.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I did not say that.  Holding licences from other countries is legal but a UK resident with a UK licence has to use their UK licence when driving there.   

Correct, but even a non-resident  UK national must also use his UK DL if he has one.  If he doesn't have a current UK DL he can use his Thai licence, not having a UK DL means never held one, or expired, if it is revoked or suspended due to a ban etc, you can't use a Thai or any other DL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

She's nearly 80. It hasn't arrived yet but it's only been like 3 days so far.

I did my last one in July 2020. There was a notice on the screen saying due to the pandemic there was an extended processing time.

The next day I got a message from my son saying ther was a letter from DVLC,  I said to open it and see what they want thinking it was some sort of problem, it was the new licence.

I think things did go downhill from then on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ah ok.. thats the way I understand it too..... 

Although, there is some information that outlines  we cannot concurrently hold a UK licence and a licence another country... But, that may actually be we cannot hold both a UK licence and a licence from another EU country (this may have changed since Brexit - the actual regulations are somewhat muddy). 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The answer is to drive in the UK on your Thai license and avoid all traffic fines as they don't bother to fine overseas visitors for minor traffic offences.

Oh nooo sir.... thats not the answer....   The answer is to get the Wife to drive !!!... 

Then I have have a few afternoon ales whenever I want !!!... :drunk:

Over the last 5 years I’ve been fined for 33mph in a 30 zone (3 points each time and £100) - Yes my own fault and accepted, extremely tight margins - I wonder how they’d go about fining my Wife the same.

I was actually in back in Thailand when I last received a UK fine through the post. I was in quarantine for two weeks and couldn’t get out to post my DL back to the UK ( they need the original DL ). 

If it didn’t pay the fine within two weeks it would ‘increase’ (if I’m not mistaken)...

Thus, the answer was to claim loss of DL and order a new one which arrived at my UK address (parents) within a couple of days, they then send that off with the ticket and proof of fine payment... 

IF travelling a lot receiving a fine in the UK can be a proper PITA... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's only the answer if you seriously think that UK police would not be curious about an apparently British person presenting a Thai licence.   That would just be the start of your traffic stop.   

Overseas licence holders do get tickets for traffic offences; if the officer establishes that the offender has a satisfactory UK address a ticket can be issued, if he decides that the address is not satisfactory he will require a roadside deposit – for speeding this will be £100. However, if the offence is to be prosecuted at court the deposit will be £300.  If you can't pay the deposit immediately, your vehicle may be prohibited and immobilised.

My recent couple of fines were from speed cameras....   

I wonder how they would go about fining my Wife on her Thai licence ?

... She’s not registered at my UK address (parents address).... but the car is. 

Thus, could they simply charge the owner of the car in lieu of payment from the overseas driver ?

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My recent couple of fines were from speed cameras....   

I wonder how they would go about fining my Wife on her Thai licence ?

... She’s not registered at my UK address (parents address).... but the car is. 

Thus, could they simply charge the owner of the car in lieu of payment from the overseas driver ?

I'd guess not if the driver's details were supplied to the police.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have my parents address.. so I keep a UK licence..... 

Do not feed the troll. Having the wrong details on your licence is an offence. It will invalidate your licence and insurance. 

Edited by IvorBiggun2

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have my parents address.. so I keep a UK licence..... 

Do not feed the troll. Having the wrong details on your licence is an offence. It will invalidate your licence and insurance. 

??? what do you mean...   my UK Driving licence is registered to my UK address, same as my banks and national insurance etc...  

IF someones licence is registered to an address they are still registered at - there is no issue. 

Nothing to troll about, its common sense. 

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How did you do that?  UK licence renewals are only free for the over 70s.  Those over 70 do not get 10 years, 3 is the maximum before another renewal.

Ah, you may be right there. I'll have to check. I mean about the 3 years.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF someones licence is registered to an address they are still registered at - there is no issue. 

If someone uses an address on their UK licence when they don't actually live at is committing an illegal act.    ourrules

Liverpool has best answer so far.

Not "could be", it is invalid if the holder is not a UK resident.  

Edited by IvorBiggun2

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If someone uses an address on their UK licence when they don't actually live at is committing an illegal act.    ourrules

And living there is what, 6 months of the year? Or just enough time to tear up your non resident status. Yes, I see their point. Ok, I'll tear mine up.

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

And living there is what, 6 months of the year? Or just enough time to tear up your non resident status. Yes, I see their point. Ok, I'll tear mine up.

You messed up with your answer. Read my post again.

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You messed up with your answer. Read my post again.

You mean I'm already a criminal?

I surrendered my London cabbie's badge and licence 7 years ago, when I left the UK . I kept the pink 'un for ID purposes, but I've never used it. An unenforceable law is no law at all. This is the old pension merry go round, is it not?

Edited by bradiston

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

What would happen if you ever needed to return and your Thai drivers license expired while you were there, Buddha forbid that ever happening, but you would have to sit for the tests all over again until you passed, public transport would be ok in the interim until you could obtain your license again, i.e. if you weren't living in the sticks.

The above said, I would have done the same if I didn't return every 2 or 3 years for a brief holiday. Truth be said, from a recent trip, I found it to be an absolute sheet fight on the roads there, (Sydney), red light cameras, speed camera's, highway patrols, council rangers, brown bombers, etc, etc that we were used to, still the same.

I only hired a car for a day when I was there, that was enough, public transport and walking was much easier and saved me a few $'s, it does help when you have the time as well.

I hate driving in OZ every time I go back. Just use my Thai licence to drive there. Hate having to watch the speedo constantly lol. No plan to live back there. OZ licence expired so would have to retest. No thanks. 

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

12 months.

Does that reset to a fresh 12 months if you leave the uk and then come back say a month latter ? or is it 12 months and that is all  you are ever allowed. ?

Ps, Ah, maybe was a silly question as you would be uk resident by then. :cheesy:

Edited by Orinoco

54 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not "could be", it is invalid if the holder is not a UK resident.  

But I do live there.... I live there for 6-7 weeks per year....  (4 in the summer and 2-3 over Christmas).

You really over-egging the pudding with this ‘committing an illegal act’ comment. 

Your implication is that because I don’t live in the UK all year round that keeping a UK driving licence is illegal...  

Thus - what is the cut off to consider I’m living in the UK or not ?...  as far as the DLVA is concerned - its whether or not I have a permanent UK address (I may be mistaken, but thats as I understand it)/

I think it's the same requirement to keep a UK bank account. 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But I do live there.... I live there for 6-7 weeks per year....  (4 in the summer and 2-3 over Christmas).

You really over-egging the pudding with this ‘committing an illegal act’ comment. 

Your implication is that because I don’t live in the UK all year round that keeping a UK driving licence is illegal...  

Thus - what is the cut off to consider I’m living in the UK or not ?...  as far as the DLVA is concerned - its whether or not I have a permanent UK address (I may be mistaken, but thats as I understand it)/

I think it's the same requirement to keep a UK bank account. 

NB A little bit off topic...

One UK based bank, with whom I have an account, informed me there was no possibility of opening a second, interest bearing account with them if I lived permanently overseas, but made no comment about my existing account. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Correct, but even a non-resident  UK national must also use his UK DL if he has one.  If he doesn't have a current UK DL he can use his Thai licence, not having a UK DL means never held one, or expired, if it is revoked or suspended due to a ban etc, you can't use a Thai

Have you missed the point that non-resident  UK national can not have a valid U.K. LICENSE?

The requirement for a change of address requires a U.K. address , so no U.K. address no valid license 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Have you missed the point that non-resident  UK national can not have a valid U.K. LICENSE?

The requirement for a change of address requires a U.K. address , so no U.K. address no valid license 

I think you are missing the point, a UK national resident in the UK who who then moves to Thailand, he is now non resident but until his licence either expires or is surrendered, he must it and not his Thai DL when he returns to the UK for short breaks.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That's me looking at the wrong side of a ten stretch then.????

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

That's me looking at the wrong side of a ten stretch then.????

Abhorrent criminal behaviour... throw away the key.. :whistling:

Some of the excessive comments I read on this forum often indicate some of the guys are really out there on the spectrum....  

or as Robin Williams once quoted.... [they].

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Love It 1

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think you are missing the point, a UK national resident in the UK who who then moves to Thailand, he is now non resident but until his licence either expires or is surrendered, he must it and not his Thai DL when he returns to the UK for short breaks.

You have faulty information. 
You are required to notify the DVLA of a change of address

You can not change your address to a non U.K. address 

So your U.K. driving licence is no longer valid as a U.K. address is an absolute requirement.

It doesn’t matter how long the expiration is on the licence is because it is only valid if you fulfil the requirements for the licence 

qed no U.K. address no valid license.

Are the police going to check? No unless you commit a serious offence.

Is anyone else going to check? No because it is a condition of the license that you inform the DVLA of any changes. You commit an offence if you don’t notify.

Who is telling you that you must use a U.K. license? Certainly not the rental companies, Sixt actually prefers my Thai license to my U.K. (non valid, I’m a naughty boy) license.

4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Does that reset to a fresh 12 months if you leave the uk and then come back say a month latter ? or is it 12 months and that is all  you are ever allowed. ?

Ps, Ah, maybe was a silly question as you would be uk resident by then. :cheesy:

The real information is that if you use your U.K. license in Thailand after 90 days you will not have insurance (that is you probably still have the statutory insurance, it’s not enough for most people). It is a requirement of every insurance policy that I have got translated that after 90 days for your policy to be valid you must have a Thai license.

will the Police check that you haven’t been here longer than 90 days? Almost certainly not. Note the almost

Will the insurance company check? Usually no, for minor bumps. Probably yes if they are on the hook for millions. 

If the insurance company voids your policy then you are going to have a really really bad expensive time and if you can’t pay then you may find that your new accommodation is in the “Bangkok Hilton” with 20 to 40 companions in your room, while I’ve never visited there I have visited someone who was an involuntary guest in a different branch and it is a place to avoid at all costs if at all possible. 

You decide if it is worth the gamble. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker