Should I let my drivers license from back home expire and just have the Thai DL?

jack71

On 12/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, crazykopite said:

I’ve rented cars using my Thai drivers license never a problem now that I am over 70 I haven't bothered renewing my U.K. licence as it has to be by way of a medical certificate every 3 years my current driver license has still got 4 years to run I can drive on it in another country for up to one year 

On 12/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, crazykopite said:

I’ve rented cars using my Thai drivers license never a problem now that I am over 70 I haven't bothered renewing my U.K. licence as it has to be by way of a medical certificate every 3 years my current driver license has still got 4 years to run I can drive on it in another country for up to one year 

I would certainly keep my UK license if I were you. I forgot to renew my Australian license online, so unless I return to OZ I cant renew it. Even if I returned to the OZ after a 3 years I would the treated the same as a person who's applying for a license for the first time. Also whilst your in Thailand you maybe asked for your passport number and  UK license details when you're opening accounts etc online.

• Like 1

Just now, JimmyJ said:

Crazy problematic system but apologies from me for calling it nonsense and ridiculous.

No problem, and I do agree with you, it's a crazy system, it's all about pressuring someone to settle a debt, even someone innocent.  Don't renew your UK DL at someone else's address.

39 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Do you need to go there and have an address in singapore ?

I did my application all online last December ( Covid times ) it took about 4 weeks due to the holidays. Address verification was done by a DHL drop and pickup at my Thai address, questionnaires, encrypted emails and attachments, ensure your signature is identical to your Passport signature, source of your money, Zoom calls, it was thorough. You need to show your long stay visa as well. May be easier to just fly there now for a couple days........ 

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:26 AM, Colabamumbai said:

Get an International Driving Permit for 10 years online before license expires. 

whats the website for that? Or does one apply from the motherland country only? Or is there 1 place everyone applies?

8 hours ago, Orinoco said:

My old pink uk DL works just fine to 70 years old.

and is still valid in the uk as long as i go back to the address it's registered at.

Unless they have changed the law on this. ?

Maybe it become invalid after being non resident ?

No it doesn't there's an expiry date on it at 4b - it lasts 10 years. I found this out when hiring a car at Heathrow a few years back - they explained the situation and had obviously had experienced this several times. A phone call to DVLA sorted it out and they rented me the car knowing a new licence had been issued. This was issued about 9 years ago.

The address is relatively unimportant.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2022 at 12:26 AM, Colabamumbai said:

Get an International Driving Permit for 10 years online before license expires. 

Under the Vienna convention which Thailand recently ratified an IDP should be no longer than 3 years. It automatically e becomes invalid when your home licence expires - i.e. it has to be accompanied by your driving licence.

Edited by kwilco

18 minutes ago, kwilco said:

No it doesn't there's an expiry date on it at 4b - it lasts 10 years. I found this out when hiring a car at Heathrow a few years back - they explained the situation and had obviously had experienced this several times. A phone call to DVLA sorted it out and they rented me the car knowing a new licence had been issued. This was issued about 9 years ago.

The address is relatively unimportant.

All driving licences must be plastic by 2033. If you need to replace your licence before then because it has been defaced, lost or stolen, or because you need to change the photo, address or name, then you can do so through a service on the government website.

That will make me 70 when I need to do that. then.

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Mostly, but not completely correct.

My “valid if I have a U.K. residence address” green license is valid until 70 years old. There is no requirement to change to a photo “valid for 10 years” license. The ‘you need a U.K. address’ is incorrect you have “to be a resident of Great Britain” if you are no a resident you commit an offence.

Will your offence be discovered? Thousands of people have not been. Is it legal? No

In 1998 the paper licence was replaced with the pink plastic bit with 10 years on it - The paper licence was scrapped in 2015 for anyone issued a licence after 1998.

If your green paper D/L was issued before March 2000 it might still be valid until you are 70 if all the information on it is still correct. E.g your address name etc. – there is a possible £1000 fine for those using it illegally.

Your problems start we you try to use it hire a car or loose your licence or are involved in an incident. If you renew new your licence, you nee a valid UK address and will get a 10 year plastic one which requires a photo.

In Thailand, not having a photo on your licence also brings problems - as it MUST have an IDP = all D/Ls in Thailand must have a photo.

Incidentally - you can renew you UK D/L online even if you hit 70 but without a doctors signed medical you will loose any passenger and goods vehicle (inc 7.5 ton) licences you had. You will just be issued with a car or M/C licence. depending on which you have. You won't even qualify to drive larger H/Ds without a medical!

Re: UK DL - 

If I understand the posts correctly - Some have posted that if one uses an address for the DL that one no longer resides at -  if the police stop you and check to see if you are registered at that address...

I don't understand this - they check where/how to find out?

The DL gives an address - what "actual registered address" is being referred to?

How can the police check to find out if one actually resides at the DL address?

Edited by JimmyJ

9 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

All driving licences must be plastic by 2033. If you need to replace your licence before then because it has been defaced, lost or stolen, or because you need to change the photo, address or name, then you can do so through a service on the government website.

That will make me 70 when I need to do that. then.

Yes - you can do it online but it will be sent to a UK address - when you get to 70 any goods/passenger vehicle licences you have will need a full medical from a doctor to continue.

However if you already have a plastic bit the expiration date is 10 years after issue at 4b on the licence. Whether or not you have a green part.

A green one on it's own is no good in Thailand as it doesn't have a photo. (see my post above)  - you will need an IDP with it and this is issued in UK.

I've seen a 5 year IDP issued by Thailand but the Vienna convention says 3 years is the max.

Te thing is if your licence has expired, so automatically, has your IDP - it's only valid if accompanied by a valid D/L

I guess a lot depends on future intentions or calamities.

Many of us work on the assumption that Thailand is a great adventure, but also know you are nothing more than a long term tourist with no right to abode, and things just might turn South in a heartbeat.

A Drivers license is that single piece of ID that you need to do almost anything nowadays, and giving it up is a huge mistake.

If you can maintain it without too much hassle do it, since no one knows when fate may intervene and you need to go home in a hurry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

If I understand the posts correctly - Some have posted that if one uses an address for the DL that one no longer resides at -  if the police stop you and check to see if you are registered at that address...

The DL gives an address - what "actual registered address" is being referred to?

For many years my licence was at a family member's address - I renewed there.

i didn't get any tickets for about 30 years though.

However I recently got a UK speeding ticket which was sent to the address my car was registered at.

Notifying a change of address is free - I did this recently with no problem.

Whilst living in Thailand I have. work permit and B visa for about 20 years, but I'm not an official resident I have always kept an address in UK for purposes of looking after my interests there - property rentals, banks, taxes, licences etc etc...

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Yes - you can do it online but it will be sent to a UK address - when you get to 70 any goods/passenger vehicle licences you have will need a full medical from a doctor to continue.

However if you already have a plastic bit the expiration date is 10 years after issue at 4b on the licence. Whether or not you have a green part.

A green one on it's own is no good in Thailand as it doesn't have a photo. (see my post above)  - you will need an IDP with it and this is issued in UK.

I've seen a 5 year IDP issued by Thailand but the Vienna convention says 3 years is the max.

Te thing is if your licence has expired, so automatically, has your IDP - it's only valid if accompanied by a valid D/L

Mate I have had a D/L car/bike for Thailand for over 20 years. 

and I used my old pink uk one to get them in the first place. :cheesy:

Edited by Orinoco

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Many of us work on the assumption that Thailand is a great adventure, but also know you are nothing more than a long term tourist with no right to abode, and things just might turn South in a heartbeat.

A Drivers license is that single piece of ID that you need to do almost anything nowadays, and giving it up is a huge mistake.

If you can maintain it without too much hassle do it, since no one knows when fate may intervene and you need to go home in a hurry

I noticed in OZ and US people use a D/L as ID - I've always kept my passport as ID - but that was because I worked in Europe a lot and the UK doesn't issue ID cards. Certainly in OZ on showing a D/L no-one even considered whether  I was a resident or not.

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I'm not an official resident I have always kept an address in UK for purposes of looking after my interests there - property rentals, banks, taxes, licences etc etc...

Don't need a uk address for those you have mentioned apart from a DL.

8 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Many older Brtish expats have failed to address the problem of healthcare as they enter old age and may well find they hae to return home for financial reasons - having to re-activate you D/L is just another hassle.

If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I noticed in OZ and US people use a D/L as ID - I've always kept my passport as ID - but that was because I worked in Europe a lot and the UK doesn't issue ID cards. Certainly in OZ on showing a D/L no-one even considered whether  I was a resident or not.

Thats true. I'm American and even though we don't a national ID card system, our DL is an ID. Now we have 'True ID' Drivers Licenses required for air travel, it's the Gold Standard for ID,

Can't comment for for UK guys but for Americans keep that DL valid for as long as you can

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thats true. I'm American and even though we don't a national ID card system, our DL is an ID. Now we have 'True ID' Drivers Licenses required for air travel, it's the Gold Standard for ID,

Can't comment for for UK guys but for Americans keep that DL valid for as long as you can

Yes - The percentage of passport holders in UK and Europe is higher than in US and Oz because even the most parochial families will have been on holiday in a foreign country - e.g. Spain, Greece or France. Day trips to France for shopping before Christmas were very common.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Talking about the UK, I know they can check DL, Car Registration, Insurance cover held, age & sex of named insured drivers, MOT valid or not.

I don't think they can (easily) check whether you actually reside at that address, I'm sure they have access to council tax/electoral role etc, even if you tick the box requesting privacy on the electoral role, you still go on a CD which is available for public inspection in every UK library.  They ultimately probably have access to all kinds of databases, just not easily at the road side, perhaps mobile phone records, tax records, who knows, we live in the information age.

56 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Mate I have had a D/L car/bike for Thailand for over 20 years. 

and I used my old pink uk one to get them in the first place. :cheesy:

So 20 ago your licence was valid - I too have had a Thai licence for over 20 years - however that does not have anything to do with your UK D?L validity now. As said your pink one is only for 10 years.

31 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So 20 ago your licence was valid - I too have had a Thai licence for over 20 years - however that does not have anything to do with your UK D?L validity now. As said your pink one is only for 10 years.

Done with you.

Join that special list.

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:
36 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Done with you.

Join that special list.

Hilarious...  you reply with something completely irrelevant, then get bent out of shape when the irrelevance is highlighted !!!.....   and to top it off... “Ooooh... you go on my ignore list” as if lacking the emotional tools to handle a discussion is a win !!!...  

Now... Orinoco...  if you take a step back from yourself... Kwilco may actually have helped you... The validity of a the Pink Driving Licence (card with photo) in the UK is 10 years....    

... Thus, what is the Expiry date on your UK Driving Licence (if you have had it for 20 years), have you renewed it every 10 years ?

Mine was renewed in 2015 and will require another renewal in 2025. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A post in violation of the fair use policy has been removed as well as the replies:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hilarious...  you reply with something completely irrelevant, then get bent out of shape when the irrelevance is highlighted !!!.....   and to top it off... “Ooooh... you go on my ignore list” as if lacking the emotional tools to handle a discussion is a win !!!...  

Now... Orinoco...  if you take a step back from yourself... Kwilco may actually have helped you... The validity of a the Pink Driving Licence (card with photo) in the UK is 10 years....    

... Thus, what is the Expiry date on your UK Driving Licence (if you have had it for 20 years), have you renewed it every 10 years ?

Mine was renewed in 2015 and will require another renewal in 2025. 

No, the guy seams to not know,  what a pink paper uk License is

do you ?

I have no plastic anything, or card with photo. !!!!

I don't need any help  from him, his just gobing off.

same as one other poster.

My pink paper uk DL  is invalid as i don't live there, at present.

it had not expired,  as the validity is to my 70th birthday,  like all the old paper pink  ones.

ok now

Ps his the one who went on about a Thai DL, so I just fired one back at him, so it was relevant. 

Now shut your mouse. 

Edited by Orinoco

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

If your green paper D/L was issued before March 2000 it might still be valid

Since it was issued in 1980 it is still technically valid.

it is certainly as invalid as your license 

Your problems start we you try to use it hire a car

No there are no problems using it to hire a car.

If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence.

Faulty information for both the U.K. and Thailand. For the U.K. it is 1 year for Thailand there are 2 steps 1 year no test 1~3 years written test over 3 start again.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

do you really imagine that the police can not do their jobs?

One of the prime jobs of the police is checking addresses. Now it is quite likely that if there is no serious need to check that it maybe such a low priority that they don’t spend the time , but they absolutely have the ability.

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

How about the Gov.uk website? (I used to be a magistrate)

Temp.jpg

That doesn’t support you statement, having been a magistrate requires no special legal knowledge.

the statement says “You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence until it expires”  Your licence is no longer valid if you do not live in the U.K. 

• Thumbs Up 1