Should I let my drivers license from back home expire and just have the Thai DL?

jack71

47 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

No, the guy seams to not know,  what a pink paper uk License is

do you ?

I have no plastic anything, or card with photo. !!!!

I don't need any help  from him, his just gobing off.

same as one other poster.

My pink paper uk DL  is invalid as i don't live there, at present.

it had not expired,  as the validity is to my 70th birthday,  like all the old paper pink  ones.

ok now

Ps his the one who went on about a Thai DL, so I just fired one back at him, so it was relevant. 

Now shut your mouse. 

Firstly, its mouth.... if you are going to fire a childish insult the best you can do is try to get it right... 

Also, I don’t use my ‘mouth’ to type, open or closed... !!! ????

Now... can’t you just accept the discussion like an adult without the emotional drama...  

...some people are so far out there on the spectrum they can’t handle a simple discussion... 

Your original comments lacked clarity, hence the response you received - thats all...

... you were not clear that you had a UK Green & Pink Paper DL issued before 1998... 

You only mentioned that you had a Pink DL which led to the misunderstanding that yours was a Pink Card DL....  

.. You have got angry, which you could have avoided if your comments in the first place were clear and unambiguous.... 

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:
3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I don't understand this - they check where/how to find out?

The DL gives an address - what "actual registered address" is being referred to?

How can the police check to find out if one actually resides at the DL address?

do you really imagine that the police can not do their jobs?

One of the prime jobs of the police is checking addresses. Now it is quite likely that if there is no serious need to check that it maybe such a low priority that they don’t spend the time , but they absolutely have the ability.

Its a valid question...  At a traffic stop, how can the police actually check if you reside at that address or not ???

I reside at my UK address for about 7 weeks per year - is there a time limit whereby its decided we ‘don’t’ reside there ????

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Firstly, its mouth.... if you are going to fire a childish insult the best you can do is try to get it right... 

Also, I don’t use my ‘mouth’ to type, open or closed... !!! ????

Now... can’t you just accept the discussion like an adult without the emotional drama...  

...some people are so far out there on the spectrum they can’t handle a simple discussion... 

Your original comments lacked clarity, hence the response you received - thats all...

... you were not clear that you had a UK Green & Pink Paper DL issued before 1998... 

You only mentioned that you had a Pink DL which led to the misunderstanding that yours was a Pink Card DL....  

.. You have got angry, which you could have avoided if your comments in the first place were clear and unambiguous.... 

Bye, you can go back on the list again.

You cheeky monkey.

Edited by Orinoco

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hilarious...  you reply with something completely irrelevant, then get bent out of shape when the irrelevance is highlighted !!!.....   and to top it off... “Ooooh... you go on my ignore list” as if lacking the emotional tools to handle a discussion is a win !!!...  

Now... Orinoco...  if you take a step back from yourself... Kwilco may actually have helped you... The validity of a the Pink Driving Licence (card with photo) in the UK is 10 years....    

... Thus, what is the Expiry date on your UK Driving Licence (if you have had it for 20 years), have you renewed it every 10 years ?

Mine was renewed in 2015 and will require another renewal in 2025. 

I think Mr O is embarrassed,

The information I've posted is not just for his benefit anyway - it is useful for a lot of long-term expats in Thailand who unwittingly - like Mr O - have let their licence expire.

I found out on a trip back yo UK when I wanted to rent a car at Heathrow. Fortunately we were able to sort it over the phone with the DVLA in the Europcar office and still get the car.

there is another problem for all expats, regardless of nationality, and that is the possibility that they are driving on a foreign licence after 3 months. THis raises problems wit insurance companies who want you to have a Thai licence.

The advice is that if you have been driving in Thailand for more than 3 months continuously, it is best (if not essential) to have a Thai licence.

I know people who despite their claims to be "superb" drivers cannot pass the Thai test or fail aspects of the physical.

I have heard o f people who have passed as a result of tea money too....probably cheaper than paying you way out after an accident when they find you weren't licensed and therefore uninsured.

46 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Since it was issued in 1980 it is still technically valid.

it is certainly as invalid as your license 

Not sure what you mean by this my licences are all valid. I'm not talking about personal licences, Im talking about how the UK law affects people in Thailand who want to drive.

- The green licences were first issued in 1973

If you have a green licence ONLY and the details are correct - (e.g. address, name etc) - then it would still be valid - as I said before - BUT if you have the pink plastic card attached to it, then it will have expired after 10 years - the date is on the plastic card even though it says in 70 yrs on the green bit.

Once you get to 70 you have to re-apply regardless of what type of UK D/L you have.

Once you have a pink card - you can in fact chuck away your green paper - I keep mine as a souvenir - 

as for your green paper licence in Thailand - even though it isvalid in the UK , it may not be here unless accompanied by an IDP - you green one has no photo.

It may interest you to know that Thailand ratified the Vienna convent of 1968 in 2020 and this may supersede any 2 bilateral agreements or understanding between Thailand and the UK

This is from the DVLA websi=te in 2013

"Motorists reminded of the importance in renewing their photocard driving licences

Motorists must renew their photocard licence when it expires. If they fail to renew their licence they will be breaking the law and risk a fine of up to £1,000."

Here is te DVLA on the old paper licence

"If you have a paper driving licence

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence."

As far as I'm aware the period in UK for no licence is 2 years. - So You'd need to show where your info comes from that contradicts that.

Edited by kwilco

On 12/3/2022 at 7:02 PM, DavisH said:

I hate driving in OZ every time I go back. Just use my Thai licence to drive there. Hate having to watch the speedo constantly lol. No plan to live back there. OZ licence expired so would have to retest. No thanks. 

If you got a fine there on your thai license would you have to pay that? 

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I reside at my UK address for about 7 weeks per year - is there a time limit whereby its decided we ‘don’t’ reside there ????

If a utility bill in your name is asked to prove abode and identity then that could prove difficult. Next question. What is your address for the other45 weeks of the year.

42 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That doesn’t support you statement, having been a magistrate requires no special legal knowledge.

the statement says “You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence until it expires”  Your licence is no longer valid if you do not live in the U.K. 

Do you not think the Government might have said you can't drive on it because living overseas invalidates it?   

I guess there is no fix for stupid.  

Try the Government questionnaire yourself.  The first question is about your residency/visitor status; If you are a visitor to Britain (Q1) and passed your test there (Q2) and the Government says you can drive on it until it expires...QED It's valid until it expires! 

I respectfully suggest you go back something you do know, playing with wood and leave the intelligent stuff to the adults here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Not sure what you mean by this my licences are all valid. I'm not talking about personal licences, Im talking about how the UK law affects people in Thailand who want to drive.

- The green licences were first issued in 1973

If you have a green licence ONLY and the details are correct - (e.g. address, name etc) - then it would still be valid - as I said before - BUT if you have the pink plastic card attached to it, then it will have expired after 10 years - the date is on the plastic card even though it says in 70 yrs on the green bit.

Once you get to 70 you have to re-apply regardless of what type of UK D/L you have.

Once you have a pink card - you can in fact chuck away your green paper - I keep mine as a souvenir - 

as for your green paper licence in Thailand - even though it isvalid in the UK , it may not be here unless accompanied by an IDP - you green one has no photo.

It may interest you to know that Thailand ratified the Vienna convent of 1968 in 2020 and this may supersede any 2 bilateral agreements or understanding between Thailand and the UK

This is from the DVLA websi=te in 2013

"Motorists reminded of the importance in renewing their photocard driving licences

Motorists must renew their photocard licence when it expires. If they fail to renew their licence they will be breaking the law and risk a fine of up to £1,000."

Here is te DVLA on the old paper licence

"If you have a paper driving licence

Paper driving licences issued before 31 March 2000 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.

When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence."

As far as I'm aware the period in UK for no licence is 2 years. - So You'd need to show where your info comes from that contradicts that.

The exact quote is 

After 12 months you’ll need to take a theory test and practical test to get a Great Britain issued driving licence.

You will find it on www.gov.uk

37 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The advice is that if you have been driving in Thailand for more than 3 months continuously, it is best (if not essential) to have a Thai licence.

The insurance companies are more positive. If you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days and do not have a Thai license your supplemental insurance is void, you still have the compulsory insurance that covers very little.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your licence is no longer valid if you do not live in the U.K. 

Not true.  You are committing an offence, per below, but your licence is still valid.  Hence the Governments advice that as a visitor if you hold a UK DL you can drive on it until it expires.  As others have said, you cannot notify DVLA of a new address overseas, but you can drive on it until it's expired.  You can also drive on it in some other countries for a limited period on each visit until it's expired.

the offence of failing to notify a change of address (which
attracts a fine of up to £1,000) neither invalidates the licence nor
attracts points which might lead to disqualification. 

"Rob Miles, head of motor at Direct Line, said: 'British motorists have
a duty to update the DVLA of any change of name or address or of any
medical condition that could affect their ability to drive, but it seems
that many motorists simply don't realise they are breaking the terms of
their licence.'

'Millions of drivers have an old name or address on their driving
licence, and while this won't affect their car insurance cover, having
incorrect information on their licence puts them at risk of a large fine
if their licence is ever checked by the police. "

Source thisismoney

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The exact quote is 

You will find it on www.gov.uk

Can't find it - do you have the actual page address?

All I can find is this

"Renewing a driving licence that has been expired for some time ..."

"If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons. For these, you may also have to pass a medical. In other cases, you can simply apply for a new licence without problem, although the DVLA will often want to know why your licence has been expired for so long." - https://news.jardinemotors.co.uk/how-to/what-happens-if-my-driving-licence-has-expired

Edited by kwilco

25 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Unless you are a resident of Great Britain your U.K. license is not valid

It is unlikely that you are a resident of Great Britain given your Thai work permit status 

Ah - that's rubbish

you seem to be making a lot of unsubstantiated statements, just repeating what I said or not understanding what you dug up on Google.

Edited by kwilco

25 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Unless you are a resident of Great Britain your U.K. license is not valid

It is unlikely that you are a resident of Great Britain given your Thai work permit status 

I think we need to be clear on ‘resident’ and having an Address at which we sometimes live. 

i.e. I’m not a Tax resident in the UK... I’m not there for more than 91 days per year. 

But, I have a (UK) Bank Account and Driving Licence registered to my Parents UK address which I live at whenever I visit the UK.

I know we are discussing the finer idiosyncrasies of the law and for the bigger picture it doesn't really matter too much, nevertheless, the discussion is somewhat interesting. 

So... I am wondering if my UK Driving License is in fact ‘legal’ as I do live at the address registered on my Driving Licence... Just not all year round. 

I suspect many of us fall within this a ‘grey area’.....  where there is no specific answer. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Ah - that's rubbish

you seem to be making a lot of unsubstantiated statements, just repeating what I said or not understanding what you dug up on Google.

No your statement is Rubbish... 

1. Legally your UK License has to show your home address
  2. You cannot register a non-UK address on a UK Driving License

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think we need to be clear on ‘resident’ and having an Address at which we sometimes live. 

i.e. I’m not a Tax resident in the UK... I’m not there for more than 91 days per year. 

But, I have a (UK) Bank Account and Driving Licence registered to my Parents UK address which I live at whenever I visit the UK.

I know we are discussing the finer idiosyncrasies of the law and for the bigger picture it doesn't really matter too much, nevertheless, the discussion is somewhat interesting. 

So... I am wondering if my UK Driving License is in fact ‘legal’ as I do live at the address registered on my Driving Licence... Just not all year round. 

I suspect many of us fall within this a ‘grey area’.....  where there is no specific answer. 

In a nutshell... No your license isn't "Legal"... It has to be registered at you permanent address, but the chances of getting caught are probably 0.01%

FWIW I let my UK license lapse 23/12/2013 as I was in a dispute with HMRC about claiming Income tax back whilst being overseas so I decided not to give UK gov any chance of denying my claim... Again the chance of them catching me out was probably 0.01%  

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Just a thought - if renewing a UK license from Thailand on the internet probably best to use a VPN with a UK IP

It honestly doesn't matter, at the time I got 90% of the way through renewing mine (from Singapore) & forms were sent to my parents address before I decided to err on the side of caution - Besides, you might be renewing when on holiday 

FWIW Living in Singapore, Bangkok & now Wongamat (Pattaya) haven't had to drive a car for 12 years ???? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If your parents have joint names on their utility bills then you are not classified as living there if no utility bills have your name on them. So you can't keep your UK license registered to that address. Do not feed the troll.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

No your statement is Rubbish... 

1. Legally your UK License has to show your home address
  2. You cannot register a non-UK address on a UK Driving License

Correct - cap above thinks that if you live in Thailand you can't have a UK licence - but very few are "resident " in Thailand as they have non-imm status and they can keep their uK licence for 10 years or until they change their address.

If you want to renew or apply for a licence, you need a UK address.

you can renew you UK licence online form Thailand so long as you have a valid UK address.

He said 

"

It is unlikely that you are a resident of Great Britain given your Thai work permit status  - this is rubbish

Edited by kwilco

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Correct - cap above thinks that if you live in Thailand you can't have a UK licence - but very few are "resident " in Thailand as they have non-imm status and they can keep their uK licence for 10 years or until they change their address.

If you want to renew or apply for a licence, you need a UK address.

you can renew you UK licence online form Thailand so long as you have a valid UK address.

Technically the distinction is it that it should be your home/permanent address... The reality is using parents, kids, friends address you'd never get caught. 

Loved your post about the "Green" License, I still have mine... Long story short, stolen car, lost wallet/license,  new pink license (which as mentioned above expired 9 years back) & Police bringing back the "Green" one 18 months later which has my UK registered address for my UK Bank accounts (Parents Address) so I doubt anybody would bat an eye if I used it... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Technically the distinction is it that it should be your home/permanent address... The reality is using parents, kids, friends address you'd never get caught. 

Loved your post about the "Green" License, I still have mine... Long story short, stolen car, lost wallet/license,  new pink license (which as mentioned above expired 9 years back) & Police bringing back the "Green" one 18 months later which has my UK registered address for my UK Bank accounts (Parents Address) so I doubt anybody would bat an eye if I used it... 

If you present a "green" licence in UK now and you've been issued with a pink one since, it is no longer valid.

If the police notice - and they may well these days - they can check your license immediately on the spot They'll know a pink licence was issued and would probably tell you to get you licence renewed or face a fine.

If you never had a pink licence , you old green thing may still be valid.

The thing is they really aren't worth having in Thailand if you don't have an IDP.

I've always had a valid address in UK and an address in Thailand - I'm not a Thai resident or citizen, but had a work permit which had my Thai address on it - this was proof of address sufficient for a Thai D?L and several other things too. I also paid tax here.

The new numberplate system will tell them if you are insured, Mot'd and taxed and the D/L is accessible straight away too. Putting in your D/L number gives them instant access to the DVLA

Edited by kwilco
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I've always had a valid address in UK and an address in Thailand - I'm not a Thai resident or citizen, but had a work permit which had my Thai address on it - this was proof of address sufficient for a Thai D?L and several other things too. I also paid tax here.

I own a house in the UK plus have all of my UK financial things registered at my parents address Plus could provide proof of ownership of that address & payment of all the utility bills (I'm named after my dad )

Reality is I'm not a UK resident & you're even more not a UK Resident as you have a work permit here. 

Reality #2 Is when it comes to driving license it doesn't matter.... Until it does... 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If your parents have joint names on their utility bills then you are not classified as living there if no utility bills have your name on them. So you can't keep your UK license registered to that address.

Don't be silly... Plenty of people over the age of 18 still live with their parents. 

Using your logic any adult living at an address where the utility bills are in someone else’s name cannot have a driving licence.... 

I agree with your comment below... Don’t feed the troll... but that troll is you with the dumb flawed assumptions are peddling as fact... 

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do not feed the troll.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not a Tax resident in the UK

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have a (UK) Bank Account

So?

So....  It doesn’t seem that its illegal for those those who have a UK address and still have ties to it to have a UK licence.

The tax resident part was simply to clarify that tax residency is not the same as having an address.