Harry Dunn: Anne Sacoolas gets suspended jail term for fatal crash

Scott

Harry Dunn

A US citizen responsible for the death of teenage motorcyclist Harry Dunn has been sentenced to eight months in prison, suspended for a year.

Anne Sacoolas was driving on the wrong side of the road when she hit the 19-year-old outside a US military base in Northamptonshire in 2019.

The case led to a transatlantic row between the US and UK governments.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-63891657

BBC.jpg

Had the wife of a British diplomat commited a similar crime in the States and subsequently fled the country under the guise of diplomatic immunity, she would in all probability - and unhesitatingly and unquestionly at the British end - have been extradited back to the States to face the music. And, instead of being given a suspended prison sentence, might she right now be sitting on death row in some federal penitentiary?

Edited by OJAS

From the OP

“An immediate jail sentence would have needed Sacoolas to surrender to the court, so the judge's only real option was a suspended sentence.”

Ah huh…explains why she didn’t want to risk showing up in person in U.K. for the trial.

Very remorseful she claims…but not that remorseful. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Continuing the 2022 theme of disastrous miscarriages of justice. Hopefully the Dunns can sue the Sacoolases for millions and financially ruin them. 

On what grounds?  A suspended sentence for causing death by careless driving, for a first time offender who admits guilt, is normal.  Well done to the Dunns.  They have succeeded in their aim of bringing justice for their son.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

On what grounds?  A suspended sentence for causing death by careless driving, for a first time offender who admits guilt, is normal.

sorry, I thought she(and her bosses) moved heaven and earth to avoid getting nabbed, even fleeing the country and claiming diplomatic immunity. must be thinking of some other case involving an honest driver that admitted guilt

6 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Continuing the 2022 theme of disastrous miscarriages of justice. Hopefully the Dunns can sue the Sacoolases for millions and financially ruin them. 

Given the unprincipled individuals that the Sacoolases appear to be, I can't see them taking any threat to their financial wellbeing lying down, unfortunately. They would in all probability engage lawyers to fight their corner at whatever expense for them this might entail. On the other hand, the Dunn family would almost certainly be forced to launch a GoFundMe campaign in the hope of covering the costs of responding in kind. Such is justice, I fear.

Edited by OJAS

8 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

sorry, I thought she(and her bosses) moved heaven and earth to avoid getting nabbed, even fleeing the country and claiming diplomatic immunity. must be thinking of some other case involving an honest driver that admitted guilt

I think you're referring to the US government, who have acted disgracefully throughout.