Polish man arrested on Samui Island with canceled student visa, 36 days of overstay, and an Interpol red notice for assault

webfact

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

And is largely the reason why the government began to require medical insurance for foreigner visa's. At one point a few years ago, the government hospital reported that unpaid hospitals bills incurred by illegal Burmese workers had decimated their budgets. At the time there was estimated to be over 300,000 illegals workers on Phuket, engaged in the construction and fishing industries.

Overstayers don't have that, of course.

Burmese immigrants are being exploited by Thai businesses as cheap labour etc

Western overstyers are exploiting Thailand - they don't pay taxes etc and don't contribute to the Thai economy and often ther businesses are either baloney or taking work from Thai businesses.

Edited by kwilco

21 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Illegal immigrants - they also upset the local economy and often end up being a load of healthcare etc. If you want to work or stay in Thailand do it legally.

I wonder why some people are so "tolerant"?

Maybe a problem in translation, but "being a load of healthcare"? Whenever I (as a farang) go to get healthcare at ANY hospital I have to pay for it, or I don't get treated!

And I agree with "If you want to work or stay in Thailand do it legally.", but I am also saying is that more time and effort is being put into catching "overstayers" than there is into  catching "proper" criminals - I am sure you know what I mean - illegal gun owners for instance are all over Thailand,. but when was the last time you heard of anybody being arrested or charged with that offence? And there are many others more deserving of investigation than overstayers (human traffickers, drug dealers to name just a couple of instances) many of which IMHO should not have been let into the country in the first place if the Immigration Dept had been doing their job correctly!!! 

Edited by sambum
Grammar

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

All a red notice does is to alert and request assistance from foreign governments in the apprehension of person who is wanted, if they come across him. It is not a plea for them to go out and track him down..

I agree with you - I am asking how successful they are!

It appears that it depends on the criminal involved, and their "importance" to the country requesting the assistance!

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

Maybe a problem in translation, but "being a load of healthcare"? Whenever I (as a farang) go to get healthcare at ANY hospital I have to pay for it, or I don't get treated!

And I agree with "If you want to work or stay in Thailand do it legally.", but I am also saying is that more time and effort is being put into catching "overstayers" than there is into  catching "proper" criminals - I am sure you know what I mean - illegal gun owners for instance are all over Thailand,. but when was the last time you heard of anybody being arrested or charged with that offence? And there are many others more deserving of investigation than overstayers (human traffickers, drug dealers to name just a couple of instances) many of which IMHO should not have been let into the country in the first place if the Immigration Dept had been doing their job correctly!!! 

So are you an overstayer? or are you just paying your way?

Let's face it overstayers are breaking the law - they think they are better than Thai people and above their laws, so what other laws are they prepared to break?.....Thailand simply doesn't need these people with their arrogant sense of entitlement - 

11 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"they arrested Mr. Michal Kamil Wielebinski, 37, a Polish national"..... He's 37 and is there on a "student visa"? What is he, a career student? Even doctors graduate and start practicing by age 26. When they let people into the country, they need to use common sense. In this case, a 37-year-old on a student visa should have been scrutinized.

Come to study "martial arts" or thai language and you can get an education visa. That's what he probably had.

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Western overstyers are exploiting Thailand - they don't pay taxes etc and don't contribute to the Thai economy"

Sorry, but I disagree with you! Every body who lives here pays taxes in the form of VAT, and everybody who lives here contributes to the Thai economy by virtue of the fact that they have to eat! 

In fact, I think you will find that in certain areas of the country, Western tourists (overstayers included!) were probably responsible for keeping a lot of Thai small businesses afloat during the worst of the Covid epidemic (Once again, I am not advocating "overstaying" but let's keep it in context!)

Those things are a contribution but then again they aren't, they are so small as to almost make the overstayer an overhead when the authorities time is factored in. You'd be hard pressed to make an economics case that the overstayer benefits the economy.

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why do all of these overstayers need to make news, especially all of a sudden, is this really news, hard core criminals are they.

How about some news about crimes Thai's are committing, or is that something we don't want to show, they can include corrupt politician's, police, immigration officers and just plain Thai citizens for all I care.

Not Thai bashing, but something relevant in news would be good, as I never heard of overstayers making the news back in my country.

I could name and shame a dozenth Thais and Vietnamese without a proper visa where I live in the west 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So are you an overstayer? or are you just paying your way?

I think I have already made it perfectly obvious that I do not agree with people overstaying, so I find your first question insulting!

And what do you mean by "paying your way"? Of course I am paying my way, as I presume you are. I also presume that you are one of these types who don't like farangs, but are prepared to tolerate them as long as they have plenty of "baht"?

And as a matter of interest - not that it is really any of your business - I have been "paying my way" in Thailand for more than 20 years, am married to a Thai lady, and am "paying my way" by looking after her, and helping out her family when the need occurs (which is very rarely, and only in a small way in the event of a "crisis") I do not pay tax as I do not work or own business or property here, but I do spend all of my pension here so yes, I am "paying my way".

Anything else I can help you with?

Edited by sambum
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Those things are a contribution but then again they aren't, they are so small as to almost make the overstayer an overhead when the authorities time is factored in. You'd be hard pressed to make an economics case that the overstayer benefits the economy.

"Those things are a contribution but then again they aren't,...."

????????????????????

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"Those things are a contribution but then again they aren't,...."

????????????????????

Come on now, you've shown you're smarter than that!

Ergo, the contribution is so small, in the context of the economy, that it is a negligible contribution of virtually no significance. Don't make me explain simple things again or we can't be friends.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

I think I have already made it perfectly obvious that I do not agree with people overstaying, so I find your first question insulting!

And what do you mean by "paying your way"? Of course I am paying my way, as I presume you are. I also presume that you are one of these types who don't like farangs, but are prepared to tolerate them as long as they have plenty of "baht"?

And as a matter of interest - not that it is really any of your business - I have been "paying my way" in Thailand for more than 20 years, am married to a Thai lady, and am "paying my way" by looking after her, and helping out her family when the need occurs (which is very rarely, and only in a small way in the event of a "crisis") I do not pay tax as I do not work or own business or property here, but I do spend all of my pension here so yes, I am "paying my way".

...what is your point? Do you think overstay is OK? Are you saying that ll this time you have been on overstay?

PS - 20 years, and I pay taxes too.! It would seem that my status and possibly yours have nothing to do with overstay?

Edited by kwilco

8 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Criminal record checks are not required from, nor automatically made for, applicants for short-term visas at Embassies. If someone is not already on an alert (black) list or Interpol notice they won't be tagged.

I came to Thailand on an O-A visa and was required to get a National Police Clearance from my home country which cost in the region of $A100. Tourists won't pay that just for a couple of weeks holiday in Thailand.

Let them travel elsewhere then. I have the same visa as you.

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Fair point, but if a foreigner is not in it, its not newsworthy?

The topic is about a foreigner on a cancelled student visa being arrested an probably deported.

Thai will have nothing to do with Immigration and won't show up very much on AN.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Me too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Come on now, you've shown you're smarter than that!

Ergo, the contribution is so small, in the context of the economy, that it is a negligible contribution of virtually no significance. Don't make me explain simple things again or we can't be friends.

One persons contribution is small certainly but there is more than one person each contributing various amounts which do add up to a much larger amount.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

...what is your point? Do you think overstay is OK? Are you saying that ll this time you have been on overstay?

PS - 20 years, and I pay taxes too.! It would seem that my status and possibly yours have nothing to do with overstay?

"Do you think overstay is OK? Are you saying that ll this time you have been on overstay?"

Are you being deliberately obtuse/argumentative by ignoring my answers and asking the same questions again?

I think we have nothing more to discuss - Bye bye.

Edited by sambum
Additional text
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, edogthong said:

You don't know what you're talking about. Students come in all different ages, especially in Thailand. When I studied Thai, most of my classmates were around 37-40 years old. Only one out of a class of 15 was under 30 years old. And most of us went to class every day. 

It is not about people learning the home language which are not standard students but people following an integration proces. The issue here is that a 37 year old body builder doesn't really match with a standard students profile.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Oh dear. The Thai Rath News Show every night, serves up plenty of:

1. Overloaded pickup blows out tires.

2. Yaba loaded pickup driver plows into roadside vendors.

3. Yaba/drunken teens on motorbikes battle it out in the streets.

4. Perverted taxi driver makes advances toward passenger.

5. Jealous wife attacks mia noi.

6. Drunken govt officer "Do you know who I am?"

7. School director feeds the kids scraps and pockets the difference.

8. School director picks the best M4-M6 girls for his business or personal ventures.

9. Someone perpetrates or falls for ridiculous online scam.

10. And the all time classic, "Can I try on these 3-4 gold necklaces, I just can't decide...", then makes a break for it.

Don't forget the *Locals see something and buy lottery tickets* story

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, proton said:

Spot on, I have seen a few boasting about this on tik tok ie POV we gave up our job bought a one way ticket to Thailand and moved there diving the dream etc ????

Is it the "not having the correct visa" that seems to infuriate some people, or is it the "living the dream" part?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

So murder, rape, child abuse / armed robbery - all very serious crimes which deserve the full force of the law being applied.

I don't see 'assault' or illegal posession of ammunition mentionted though.

Those offences were given as examples, not as the only offences that qualify.

15 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"they arrested Mr. Michal Kamil Wielebinski, 37, a Polish national"..... He's 37 and is there on a "student visa"? What is he, a career student? Even doctors graduate and start practicing by age 26. When they let people into the country, they need to use common sense. In this case, a 37-year-old on a student visa should have been scrutinized.

"Student visa" generally refers to an ED visa, it doesn't mean that they're school/university age and 37 is not an unusual age to want to learn something.  If he'd attended the classes he was supposed to, even at age 37, he probably wouldn't have had this issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Why do all of these overstayers need to make news, especially all of a sudden, is this really news, hard core criminals are they.

How about some news about crimes Thai's are committing, or is that something we don't want to show, they can include corrupt politician's, police, immigration officers and just plain Thai citizens for all I care.

Not Thai bashing, but something relevant in news would be good, as I never heard of overstayers making the news back in my country.

These reports are relevant because the IB has announced that they were having a crackdown between Dec 1st and today...as the OP clearly states and as has been reported in many other connected threads.  These cases are the consequence of that crackdown.

• Thanks 1