Polish man arrested on Samui Island with canceled student visa, 36 days of overstay, and an Interpol red notice for assault

webfact

title of this article should rather mention gun possession rather then assault.

Probably it was an assault with a gun and gross bodily harm. That's why red notice. Big chance there would be more charges on him and big chance he has already serious criminal record.

He might have lived in thailand prior to 2019, just the last entry was a border run or visa run to penang.

Possible those small small border crossings are (were) not connected to interpol database (how red notice was issued already in 2017).

Looks, like his student visa was cancelled just 1 month after issuing, on base of not class attendance. I think it's too short time for immigration to act. Probably after issuing him visa they have matched his name with interpol notice, so they cancelled his visa and on that base issued arrest warrant.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"they arrested Mr. Michal Kamil Wielebinski, 37, a Polish national"..... He's 37 and is there on a "student visa"? What is he, a career student? Even doctors graduate and start practicing by age 26. When they let people into the country, they need to use common sense. In this case, a 37-year-old on a student visa should have been scrutinized.

I guess you have never heard of continuing education

• Like 2

Everyone going on about the Red Notice but that's not why he was picked up. They grabbed him because his Student Visa was canceled for not attending class and he was on overstay. The Red Notice is mentioned because it's on file and an added bit to make the news article exciting. It's up to Poland to decide what to do after he's deported. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, ok! First a giant Swede and now a huge Polish guy. Looks like immigration have been have "Mountain of muscle deportation week". Great! They are just grabbing them, pound for pound.

Yes, perhaps they should look in fitness studios for overstayers. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

There are so many Brits and other foreigners on Samui without the right visas. Many seem to be working as dive instructors,  in gyms or quack yoga or alternative therapy activities - about time they were cleared off the archipelago. 

Spot on, I have seen a few boasting about this on tik tok ie POV we gave up our job bought a one way ticket to Thailand and moved there diving the dream etc ????

5 hours ago, tandor said:

....sort of Contradictory!  (Maybe Interpol have overriding powers!)

Thailand currently has Extradition Treaties with 14 countries:

• The USA-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • The Thailand-UK Extradition Treaty
  • The Thai - Indonesia Extradition Treaty
  • The Belgium-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • And extradition treaty with Canada
  • the China-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • the Thai-South Korea Extradition Treaty
  • the Philippines-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • the Thai-Laos Extradition Treaty
  • the Thai-Cambodia Extradition Treaty
  • the Thailand-Malaysia Extradition Treaty
  • the Bangladesh-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • the extradition treaty with Fiji
  • Thailand’s agreement with Australia based a treaty signed between Britain and Thailand in the 1900s

Yeah, but you're only supposed to use those for certain very serious offences and they have very little to do with 'red notices' which are merely a list of wanted people who commit very serious crimes. this guy is wanted for assault and illegal ammunition - something negligible. Maybe he beat a load of people half to death - that's assault I guess or maybe he knocked out a mugger, I guess we will never know.

Extradition is expensive and involves a whole army of lawyers and civil servants on both sides, it's not supposed to be used for minor crimes.

Maybe this guy is a mafia kingpin and perhaps they're lying about the seriousness of the charges, who knows, but it sounds like this red notice which is nothing to do with the so called extradition (which is not going to be an extradition as he has no valid visa) was issued frivolously.

My guess is that his visa ran out, he popped up on the local immigration offices weekly print out of foreigners with expired visas in their area - then they noticed this 'red notice' and the rest is all free publicicty.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

There are so many Brits and other foreigners on Samui without the right visas. Many seem to be working as dive instructors,  in gyms or quack yoga or alternative therapy activities - about time they were cleared off the archipelago. 

Do you know anything about scuba diving? Getting a visa to work is rare with only the dive shop having very few to allocate. If you would like to be taught by thai instructors crack on personally I'll stick with well qualified and insured foreign instructors. I was a diving instructor. 

10 hours ago, kwilco said:

How do you know..?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"they arrested Mr. Michal Kamil Wielebinski, 37, a Polish national"..... He's 37 and is there on a "student visa"? What is he, a career student? Even doctors graduate and start practicing by age 26. When they let people into the country, they need to use common sense. In this case, a 37-year-old on a student visa should have been scrutinized.

Studying Thai language – that's what most grown ups 37+ years old are studying in Thailand...:whistling:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Criminal record checks are not required from, nor automatically made for, applicants for short-term visas at Embassies. If someone is not already on an alert (black) list or Interpol notice they won't be tagged.

I came to Thailand on an O-A visa and was required to get a National Police Clearance from my home country which cost in the region of $A100. Tourists won't pay that just for a couple of weeks holiday in Thailand.

You can enter visa exempt and apply for a non-immigration type-O visa domestically, no background checks made, just you have 800k baht from abroad in a Thai bank account. After that you can repeated extend your stay for 12 month every year.

I originally came on a 1-year multiple entry non-O from my home country, and I was never asked any documentation for my criminal past – however, the Thai authorities didn't miss any exciting stories...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kwilco said:

As the great bard would put it:- "Much Ado About Nothing"!

Why the recent big song and dance  about catching people on overstay?

I'd be more impressed if they were posting the results of catching "proper" criminals!

8 hours ago, tandor said:

....sort of Contradictory!  (Maybe Interpol have overriding powers!)

Thailand currently has Extradition Treaties with 14 countries:

• The USA-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • The Thailand-UK Extradition Treaty
  • The Thai - Indonesia Extradition Treaty
  • The Belgium-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • And extradition treaty with Canada
  • the China-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • the Thai-South Korea Extradition Treaty
  • the Philippines-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • the Thai-Laos Extradition Treaty
  • the Thai-Cambodia Extradition Treaty
  • the Thailand-Malaysia Extradition Treaty
  • the Bangladesh-Thailand Extradition Treaty
  • the extradition treaty with Fiji
  • Thailand’s agreement with Australia based a treaty signed between Britain and Thailand in the 1900s

"Lets look into 'red notices', what they are and under which circumstances that they are normally used"

And let's look into how successful "red notices" have been in apprehending "Boss" shall we!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Lets look into 'red notices', what they are and under which circumstances that they are normally used"

And let's look into how successful "red notices" have been in apprehending "Boss" shall we!

All a red notice does is to alert and request assistance from foreign governments in the apprehension of person who is wanted, if they come across him. It is not a plea for them to go out and track him down..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

As the great bard would put it:- "Much Ado About Nothing"!

Why the recent big song and dance  about catching people on overstay?

I'd be more impressed if they were posting the results of catching "proper" criminals!

Illegal immigrants - they also upset the local economy and often end up being a load of healthcare etc. If you want to work or stay in Thailand do it legally.

I wonder why some people are so "tolerant"?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes, perhaps they should look in fitness studios for overstayers. 

THere is definitely a culture of "entitlement" in gyms and muay Thai gyms etc - not only could the customers be in trouble but I'd love to see the visas /permits for those "working" there - is the job even open to foreigners?

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Illegal immigrants - they also upset the local economy and often end up being a load of healthcare etc. If you want to work or stay in Thailand do it legally.

I wonder why some people are so "tolerant"?

And is largely the reason why the government began to require medical insurance for foreigner visa's. At one point a few years ago, the government hospital reported that unpaid hospitals bills incurred by illegal Burmese workers had decimated their budgets. At the time there was estimated to be over 300,000 illegals workers on Phuket, engaged in the construction and fishing industries.