Norwegian man arrested on Samui Island for 15 days of overstay

webfact

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

i guess i don't consider overstaying illegally to be an extremely minor and indiscriminate issue. but thats just me.

Do you consider the use of "Immigration endorsed" agents to bypass legal requirements an acceptable pratice ?

Or is it simply a case of double standards ?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, mancub said:

Do you consider the use of "Immigration endorsed" agents to bypass legal requirements an acceptable pratice ?

Or is it simply a case of double standards ?

silly me. here i thought we lived in thailand..... and they play by their own rules.  enjoy the beach.

Do Norwegians get the new 45 day entry or a 30 day?  If he had a 30 day maybe he thought, based upon the recent change, he had 45 days, and if so he would not even have been on a 1 day overstay, but maybe he is still also on Norway time.....

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

We got back to pre-Covid feelings of hunting the farang!

I wonder if it has something to do with the return of tourists and concerns by the powers that be that perhaps Thai people will start to think too positively of foreigners as they see how necessary they are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do Norwegians get the new 45 day entry or a 30 day?  If he had a 30 day maybe he thought, based upon the recent change, he had 45 days, and if so he would not even have been on a 1 day overstay, but maybe he is still also on Norway time.....

My friend is positive he got scammed by an agent! I guess we just have to wait and see.

He is not able to get in contact with him, and reached out to me if I could do anything.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He is now at 15 days of overstaying his visa according to police. He was taken to the Koh Samui Police Station to face overstaying charges. It was unclear why Mr. Thalmann had overstayed his visa.

No job back home?

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

My friend is positive he got scammed by an agent! I guess we just have to wait and see.

He is not able to get in contact with him, and reached out to me if I could do anything.

That is truly sad if he used an agent to obtain his visa and in the end got hosed....sucks, and he should be naming names to immigration......

50 minutes ago, stoner said:

i guess i don't consider overstaying illegally to be an extremely minor and indiscriminate issue. but thats just me.

IF someone overstaying a day or 15 days is not just a minor or indiscriminate issue - how much of a serious crime do you think it is ??

I’m not defending over stayers...  they know they laws, they either tried to break them or circumnavigate them... and yes doing so is wrong.

But, there seems to be somewhat of an over-reaction, particularly on this forum by posters who want to see over-stayers face serious penalties ???... I’m just trying to work out what some people thing is so horrifically criminal about someone staying a bit too long ?

So... What is the issue you see caused by someone who has overstayed by 15 days ? what harm is he causing someone ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Give it a few weeks and I'll bet they will be waiting outside hotels for tourists on a one day overstay before they get a chance to go to immigration and extend.

Saw them try to get a guy for 10 days overstay last week. Turned out to be a mistake in their computer records, but they were gonna get him!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:
4 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

We got back to pre-Covid feelings of hunting the farang!

I wonder if it has something to do with the return of tourists and concerns by the powers that be that perhaps Thai people will start to think too positively of foreigners as they see how necessary they are.

I suspect that now foreigners are back, the Immigration Police can make a lot more money.

They may be shooting themselves in the foot by clamping down too early and frightening off a huge ‘crop’ of potential future overstayers they could extort !!! :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is truly sad if he used an agent to obtain his visa and in the end got hosed....sucks, and he should be naming names to immigration......

Not long ago another thread about Koh Samui agency who stalled another members renewal.

Maybe an who agent lost his goodwill? 

3 minutes ago, Peabody said:
7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Give it a few weeks and I'll bet they will be waiting outside hotels for tourists on a one day overstay before they get a chance to go to immigration and extend.

Saw them try to get a guy for 10 days overstay last week. Turned out to be a mistake in their computer records, but they were gonna get him!

There are a lot of reports of overstayers in the medial recently - clearly there is an ongoing crack-down... 

I went out to watch the football the other night.

While heading out it did cross my mind if I was going to get hassled by any BiB to show my passport and prove immigration status... (in light of all this news and apparent crack-down). 

I didn’t have my passport, nor had I taken a photo of the entry stamp (from the previous week).

Of course, nothing happened, but the thought did cross my mind.

I’m wondering if this is the thin end of the wedge and foreigners are going to get hassled, OR, if the BiB are responding to intelligence, reports, flags on the immigration computers etc... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, there seems to be somewhat of an over-reaction, particularly on this forum by posters who want to see over-stayers face serious penalties ???... I’m just trying to work out what some people thing is so horrifically criminal about someone staying a bit too long ?

I'm pretty sure these types of people simply like to see bad things happening to others.  They probably then massage the severity of the crime to ease their conscience and not have to face up to the kind of person they are.

Not unusual for individuals to learn of something bad happening to someone, only to desperately try to find an angle where they can say "Good, they deserved it", when really they just want to say "Good".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Peabody said:

It's all on computers. They run a printout once or twice a week and then they start calling/visiting those on the lists.

If thats the case, then fair enough. 

I do think it would be somewhat of an own-goal if the BiB were running spot checks on foreigners in the street - IF this isn’t happening and they (BiB) are dong their jobs intelligently and catching genuine overstayers then fair enough. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are a lot of reports of overstayers in the medial recently - clearly there is an ongoing crack-down... 

I went out to watch the football the other night.

While heading out it did cross my mind if I was going to get hassled by any BiB to show my passport and prove immigration status... (in light of all this news and apparent crack-down). 

I didn’t have my passport, nor had I taken a photo of the entry stamp (from the previous week).

Of course, nothing happened, but the thought did cross my mind.

I’m wondering if this is the thin end of the wedge and foreigners are going to get hassled, OR, if the BiB are responding to intelligence, reports, flags on the immigration computers etc... 

As long you have everything under control, and stay here legally, why worry so much. I have never even thought about being stopped once, and if stopped what is the worst that can happen? Being annoyed a little bit? 

Worry less if you have your proof of legit stay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Absolutely right it's unfair, he has no right to have any overstay at all, unfair to the rest of us.

My friend sent me his conversation with him, and he state he is going to get 5 year visa soon! We believe he had an agent  promising him Elite visa! Still to early to know for a fact what was going on. Last message 6 days ago.

Just do not hope he paid that agent his savings 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

With 1.5 million posts what can you expect? Probably has an EXACT number of days that would be considered ok and I'm sure will let the forum know sometime. Ad nausea. 

Who's got 1.5m posts and what does "ad nausea" [sic, ironically] mean?  Gratuitous over-exaggeration, ad nauseam.

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Unnecessary unfortunate start on his plan to migrate here. He believes he got deleted over by an agent who offered long stay visa to him. 

"Unnecessary unfortunate start on his plan to migrate here".

Absolutely.  He actually ducked himself over by overstaying, no way he could have made that situation into a long stay on his own.  And it doesn't make any difference who, if anyone, blew the whistle on him, an overstay is an overstay if there's no agent involved.