Norwegian man arrested on Samui Island for 15 days of overstay

webfact

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Unnecessary unfortunate start on his plan to migrate here".

Absolutely.  He actually ducked himself over by overstaying, no way he could have made that situation into a long stay on his own.  And it doesn't make any difference who, if anyone, blew the whistle on him, an overstay is an overstay if there's no agent involved. 

If he had an agent telling him they had everything under control? I never used an agent, and god forbid, but many do, and many here do tell others to use an agent, and I wonder, how many times an agent did screw somebody over? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If he had an agent telling him they had everything under control? I never used an agent, and god forbid, but many do, and many here do tell others to use an agent, and I wonder, how many times an agent did screw somebody over? 

Your story about the "scam" is pretty vage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
37 minutes ago, Hummin said:

There have been a few a stories on this forum recently... 

People leave their Passport with an agent, then they can’t get their passport back. 

Agent is either scamming them, has lost their passport, can’t get the visa etc... but they’ve taken the money then are not responding... 

Call it whatever you want... argue the semantics of the word scam..... its irrelevant... 

Some Visa Agents are offering a service, taking the money, perhaps even making up false stamps or using connections at immigration to rubber-stamp a passport illegally etc....  

All somewhat of a grey area.....   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Because you are an legal agent with interest in good reputation located on Koh Samui? 

Im the first one to admit it is speculations, but from what we know, and the communication my friend had with him last week, where he told my friend he would get long term visa soon, I guess that means Elite Visa because he is not yet 50 years old as far I know. 

As I said we will know more later, because my friend is going to the embassy tomorrow to see what he can do for him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Because you are an legal agent with interest in good reputation located on Koh Samui? 

Im the first one to admit it is speculations, but from what we know, and the communication my friend had with him last week, where he told my friend he would get long term visa soon, I guess that means Elite Visa because he is not yet 50 years old as far I know. 

As I said we will know more later, because my friend is going to the embassy tomorrow to see what he can do for him. 

Did the police let him go?

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The point Jing was making was rather obvious... the Police are cracking down on seemingly extremely minor and indiscriminate issues... 

There is suddenly a wave of reports of foreigners on overstay getting caught. Of course, they shouldn’t be overstaying, but neither is it a ’throw away the key’ type of crime some on this forum seem to think it is. 

I wonder how this ’targeting’ of foreigners is carried out or if it is impacting regular tourists.

Are all tourist assumed to be guilty of overstay, stopped by the Police and have to prove otherwise [that they are not overstaying] ???.... OR, are these people who are caught for overstaying initially stopped and caught for some other reason then their overstay status is discovered ???

Dob in your whitey neighbour, mostly.

34 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

FARANG - So look PC Somchai, I'd really like to help you out here and show you my ID but I can't you see, you're not sufficiently senior. Is that OK with you, you don't mind if I just go on my way do you?

PC SOMCHAI - Ah yes, you are correct, silly me I forgot I'm not a second lieutenant. Yes of course, off you go my lad, go enjoy yourself, let's just forget this whole business.

Is that how it goes down?

Nope... thats not how it goes down at all....  but you know that already just as we know you are not really that stupidly obtuse...   The obvious answer is don’t over-stay.

Anyone who’s spent any time here knows that law and regulation has little relevance as the Police don’t know or follow their own laws, they just follow the ‘legacy’ of their peers. 

Whether it involves BiB asking for IDP, Licence, Thai Licence or our Immigration status etc...   the best option is to ensure our ducks are in a row...  it just makes things go more smoothly. 

If asked for my Passport in the street... I’m not going to try and teach a half-witted policeman his own laws... I just play the game, I don’t carry my passport so what happens next depends on the situation..

i..e show Pink ID, Driving Licence, Photo of Passport...  etc.. if they don’t accept that things get a little trickier...   I have BiB friends I can call, so never a major issue. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Is that how it goes down?

Policeman asks for a Passport... I answer “No”....   nothing else happens and I walk off...

Thats happened twice. 

A further time the BiB (a group of them) were not so easy to ignore...   they wanted me to get out of the taxi.

They’d stopped the taxi and asked me for my passport, I held up a copy of my DL... They wanted a passport... So they told me to to get out.... I refused... Told them to wait and they can speak to the person who’s about to take my call... 5 mins later, waved on my way...

... some of these guys are just after a shakedown... I don’t want any part of it, but I also don’t want to carry my passport around (the risk of loss is higher than risk of getting stopped and having a major problem).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Policeman asks for a Passport... I answer “No”....   nothing else happens and I walk off...

Thats happened twice. 

A further time the BiB (a group of them) were not so easy to ignore...   they wanted me to get out of the taxi.

They’d stopped the taxi and asked me for my passport, I held up a copy of my DL... They wanted a passport... So they told me to to get out.... I refused... Told them to wait and they can speak to the person who’s about to take my call... 5 mins later, waved on my way...

... some of these guys are just after a shakedown... I don’t want any part of it, but I also don’t want to carry my passport around (the risk of loss is higher than risk of getting stopped and having a major problem).

You can try that when you arrive Koh Phangan coming from the ferry on foot. They grabbed me in the arm while I was walking away from them believing they only wanted to talk to the rastafari man in front of me, and I kept walking. They checked everyone coming off the boat by foot. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is truly sad if he used an agent to obtain his visa and in the end got hosed....sucks, and he should be naming names to immigration......

I don't think immigration will want to go chasing down visa agents when you consider what they get from them...

On 12/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

He wouldn't have to pay "triple price air fare" if he had been here legally.

I was here legally, they can find a lot of ways to grab you that don't need to be above board if people with more power than your friends want to mess with you.

17 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:
On 12/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

He wouldn't have to pay "triple price air fare" if he had been here legally.

I was here legally

So?  I did not post anything about your visa status, I referred to "him".

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 12/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thats happened twice. 

would you try that at home and what do you think would happen if you just brush away the old bill there?