Top Immigration Bureau officers investigated by high-level panel over Chinese corruption claims

webfact

image.jpeg

On Friday last, Minister of Justice Somsak Thepsutin (centre) gave details of assets seized as a result of the criminal investigation into Du Hao or Mr Chaiyanat Kornchayanant which amounts to ฿3.02 billion in addition to the ฿1.131 billion already seized by the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB).

by Carla Boonkong & Pranee O' Connor

Minister Somsak Thepsutin praises former massage parlour boss and politician Chuwit Kamolvisit for his work in pursuing corruption concerning this unfolding case. Mr Chuwit has promised not to keep the 5% of the billions seized that the minister says he’s entitled to but has expressed concern about the limited charges brought against Mr Du Hao or Mr Chaiyanat Kornchayanant and his most senior associates including the absence, as of yet, of money laundering charges.

A top-level panel has been established by the National Police Commissioner General Damrongsak Kittiprapat to investigate top officers within the Immigration Bureau based on substantiated claims made by former politician Chuwit Kamolvisit that Chinese nationals entering Thailand on tourist visas were subsequently able to obtain extended student or Non-Immigrant visas through a network of corrupt schools. The probe, launched on Thursday and which will take up to 15 days to report, is focusing on three senior officers within the service with the rank of general.

Meanwhile, Deputy National Police Chief General Surachate Hakparn who is leading the police task force investigating the Chinese gangs and in particular, the former empire of Du Hao or Mr Chaiyanat Kornchayanant, has assured whistleblower Chuwit Kamolvisit that the police will successfully prosecute the matter to the end. His remarks came after Minister of Justice Somsak Thepsutin, on Friday, confirmed that over ฿3 billion of the Chinese kingpin’s assets have now been seized by the police unit in addition to a further ฿1.13 billion seized earlier by the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) and that Mr Chuwit was entitled to 5% of the proceeds as a whistleblower.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2022/12/11/top-immigration-bureau-officers-investigated/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2022-12-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

confirmed that over ฿3 billion of the Chinese kingpin’s assets have now been seized by the police unit in addition to a further ฿1.13 billion seized earlier by the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) and that Mr Chuwit was entitled to 5% of the proceeds as a whistleblower.

Twit, I'd have taken the what ? 80 million baht (over $2m) and done a runner 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The probe, launched on Thursday and which will take up to 15 days to report, is focusing on three senior officers within the service with the rank of general.

I hope they use Vaseline.... this lot at the top are tighter than a ducks ar$e.

Last week there were big gatherings, meetings of officers about "zero tolerance in corruption". I know as my wife had to go to this.

She showed me pics and reports about it.

I showed her this article and asked her what she thought.

She knew already about this and was very disappointed.

I think, all those officers will be. Why are we here in meetings, when our bosses are the head of the snake and misbehave.

It is incredible if you make all your officers aware about corruption and then at the top, they dont care and take the money.

So the conclusion in this, upper level bosses want all the money and not the ones below them.

Reminds me about the big corruption scheme some years ago in Thailand. When it turned out military had secretly(?) resorts, malls, houses and so on. Never heard about anybody being punished.

It was handed over to Thai government(?) and that is still army as wel?!

Prayut was mentioned as wel, but could stay in the house, as he did so much good for the country. Ya ya????