Top Gun Maverick voted Best film 2022

Social Media

I thought it was great.  In fact I just binged watched the original and the sequel just a few nights ago.  It was good they did not kill it with WOKE garbage.  They worked women and a love interest into the plot without demeaning them.  They also avoided the token gay character B.S...although there were a lot more black characters this time around....

9 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I did, and it was a true "meh." It wasn't bad like "Bloodsucking Freaks," nor was it anything NEAR good, let alone BEST?  Pleeeeeeeze!

It was the best movie I watched this year, but that's not because it was brilliant ( it wasn't ) it's just that movies tend to be rubbish since covid.

So, it's just better than the other rubbish out there.

7 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I thought it was great.  In fact I just binged watched the original and the sequel just a few nights ago.  It was good they did not kill it with WOKE garbage.  They worked women and a love interest into the plot without demeaning them.  They also avoided the token gay character B.S...although there were a lot more black characters this time around....

I'm happy I paid to see it. It wasn't great, but it certainly was enjoyable.

I had to re watch the original to see how it corresponded, and lots of similarities, but they only added to the movie.

There were a few bits that we were supposed to understand, but I had to watch the original to do so, so a minor fault.

I enjoyed watching Top Gun Maverick but I am surprised it won best movie 2022. I tend to watch TV series mainly these days because IMHO they don't make movies like they used to. IMHO Todays movies rely too heavily on visual special effects and technology rather than a strong plot and a quality cast who can act.

• Like 1

Top Gun Maverick was fine, but not my own #1 movie of the year 

As predictable as any action feature movie where the good guy always wins.

Spectacular cinematography on the big cinema screen - that's what it was made for not TV/home cinema.

Seems enough people liked it, US$1.4 billion so far. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I enjoyed watching Top Gun Maverick but I am surprised it won best movie 2022. I tend to watch TV series mainly these days because IMHO they don't make movies like they used to. IMHO Todays movies rely too heavily on visual special effects and technology rather than a strong plot and a quality cast who can act.

Which is why I'm watching DVDs from op shops. all some years old and mine for a couple of $ or less.

Even in the past they made some movies that were garbage though.

I enjoy the "not Hallywood"  movies the best, and the less popular often the better.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

IMO it's not long before they dispense altogether with real actors. The Avatar movie proved that real people not needed to make a great movie. They have come a long way since Final Fantasy the spirits within.

19 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Movies seem to be getting progressively worse as the plots are often driven by some underlying agenda of the Hollywood Wokerati that turns the film from simple entertainment into some kind of boring lecture on equality or diversity. 

I learned not to watch any Hollywood movie featuring women as the main actors eg the Ghostbusters remake. Just annoying.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 11:39 AM, ozimoron said:

This just makes me glad I didn't go the cinema this year. I thought the original version was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, including spaghetti westerns.

It was good on IMAX. Spectacular effects and not CGI. Great demo of modern fighter planes. Plot meh but good to see Val Kilmer.  AI used to imitate his voice, sounded totally real. Wouldn't bother seeing again. Gf greatly enjoyed and esp. hot that night.????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/14/2022 at 4:59 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I learned not to watch any Hollywood movie featuring women as the main actors eg the Ghostbusters remake. Just annoying.

Jennifer Lawrence would not be happy with that remark ????

Nowadays for sure, though Ripley was great in Alien/Aliens.

On 12/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, daveAustin said:

Jennifer Lawrence would not be happy with that remark ????

Nowadays for sure, though Ripley was great in Alien/Aliens.

I did mean "now".

Obviously many great actresses back before Hollywood went woke, and females thought being aggressive was being "strong"- it's not. The excellent Dana Delaney in China Beach was a strong woman, and didn't hit anyone.

Ripley was indeed good in Alien, though not so sure when the franchise became about her.

Lawrence was a bit gloomy for my liking, and seems to have disappeared since Hunger Games.

My favourite, Emma Watson rules.

On 12/15/2022 at 1:56 PM, daveAustin said:

Thought Maverick was great and preferred it over the original even. You’d have to see it on the big screen. Some of those flight scenes were epic. 

I watched a DVD so was able to see the extras. The flight scenes were the real deal and all the actors had to take an intensive course to be able to fly in the aircraft ( I don't think they were actually piloting the planes though ).