Extension/Visa options after divorce

Currently staying in Thailand on a Non O 1 Year Extension based on Marriage.  However, recently divorced.  I have a child that is a Thai National.  Before being married I used Non O 12 Month Multi Entry Visas based on being a parent of a Thai child.  Just wondering what my options are..

Is it possible just to apply for another 12 month extension, but this time based on having a Thai child? 

Or do I need to leave and re-enter on a new Non O?  And then submit an app to Immigration for extension based on being a parent of a Thai child.

Or is there another process I can use that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lamush

27 minutes ago, allane said:

After divorce, you have the same options as anyone else. You should be able to get a "parent of Thai child" extension without leaving the country.

Divorce does not automatically terminate an extension for marriage.

Divorce

If there is a divorce your Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa will become invalid and you will be required to leave Thailand immediately.

In some cases, you may be allowed to remain in the Thailand until the Thai Marriage Visa expires, but you must first check at a Thai Immigration Office.

https://siam-attorney.com/thai-marriage-visa/#:~:text=If there is a divorce,required to leave Thailand immediately.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Was thinking to pop into immigration.  I am a little hesitant as the divorce was officially filed 4 months ago and was concerned that as I didn't update them quick smart they may take issue.  Is there any danger in Immigration taking the stance that as I'm no longer married, my current extension is invalid and therefore in Thailand unlawfully?

My current 12 month extension expires in January.

55 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Your extension will be ok until it expires.

you can then get 12 month extensions based on having a Thai child providing you can prove you are the legal father.

I was of the understanding that while visas are not cancelled, extensions would be cancelled as soon as the reason for the extension ceased.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Divorce

If there is a divorce your Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa will become invalid and you will be required to leave Thailand immediately.

In some cases, you may be allowed to remain in the Thailand until the Thai Marriage Visa expires, but you must first check at a Thai Immigration Office.

https://siam-attorney.com/thai-marriage-visa/#:~:text=If there is a divorce,required to leave Thailand immediately.

That statement appears to be the legal company drumming up business, ie: you are screwed unless you use our services.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That statement appears to be the legal company drumming up business, ie: you are screwed unless you use our services.

No, it does not say that, but, what if it did, are you claiming that the information is incorrect?  If so, which?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

I was of the understanding that while visas are not cancelled, extensions would be cancelled as soon as the reason for the extension ceased.

I can vouch for this from personal experience. I was told by immi that I had 24 hrs to leave the country and re enter. If it was the original visa, could stay until expiry, extension, must leave.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lamush said:

Thanks guys.  Can confirm Mister T is correct as far as Hua Hin Immi is concerned.

That is the case in all immigration offices.

The slight confusion is where wife passes away.

Then permission of stay is valid till expiry.

Also is there is a ME non O one year visa based on marriage.

That also remains valid

• Like 1