Do Immigration now require a health insurance when obtaining a Non-imm "O" visa ?

Hi all,

I just heard this today, and I really hope, it is just a rumour and not true.....

A foreigner here in Khon Kaen told me today, that Immigration from now on demands, that you are insured during your entire stay in Thailand on a Non-Imm "O" visa, and also later, if you stay on a one year extension based on retirement.

I don't really believe it, but since I just arrived in Thailand and am about to apply for a 3-month non"O" and after that extension for one year, I would like to ask, if anyone else have heard about this ?

Insurance only required when applying for e-visa 

Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption

Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand

Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

Non-Immigrant Type O (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)

Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland. Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand.

Edited by Tim16

After a border run I applied for Non-O at Khon Kaen immigration on July 19.

No insurance required.

And the reason for the border run was exactly to get rid of the Non-OA status for which they require insurance.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eggzthaioz said:

A Visa agent in Khon Kaen is trying to scam customers into getting insurance when she helps them open a bank account. Insists that insurance be taken out to open an account. 

Just another Thai scam.

Believe that is apples to oranges and is accident insurance for bank card - most likely required by bank staff to open the account without additional paperwork.