Tesla in Thaiand

Nepal4me

9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not any more.   2,700 cars quickly recalled and the problem remedied after only 264 went to customers.  Toyota provided replacement vehicles while they were being sorted, offered $5,000 compensation and offered to buy the affected cars back.

Toyota has zero cred in the BEV space and this embarrasment was just icing on the cake.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It would help, IF you learned how to or could comprehend what you are reading.   Assuming you took those numbers from list below.

Try reading it again ... the proper way????

Alas I cannot comprehend your meaning.  I responded that Tesla's have better reliability than Chinese cars...which is true.

6 minutes ago, Nepal4me said:

Alas I cannot comprehend your meaning.  I responded that Tesla's have better reliability than Chinese cars...which is true.

I was responding in reference to your  earlier comment, which you followed up with your CH made car #s, which shows they are much better than non CH made cars.  You state one thing, then show #s showing the opposite.

"Chinese cars are still poor quality today."

https://aseannow.com/topic/1280650-tesla-in-thaiand/#comment-17788548

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

Ahaa.  The ranking is reversed from the way it normally would be expected. In this case it is a listing of most complaints per 10,000 cars.  So Tesla came in 46th.  In other words 45 other cars came in with higher complaints per 10,000 cars than Tesla.

And the Chinese cars dominated the list of most complaints per 10,000 cars.

https://insideevs.com/news/618119/tesla-model-y-tops-reliability-survey-china/

Edited by Nepal4me
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nepal4me said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I'm guessing that you've not seen the most recent Camry as you're referring to looks.    They are good-looking cars, Teslas aren't anything special aside from the potential performance that most people will never use, or need. 

Expand  

Nothing against the Camry.  I had one for 7 years.  They look good, are comfortable, reliable.

I'm just saying there will be a lot of buyers for Model 3 at that price.  

Saying Teslas arent anything special is dumb.  Depends on the buyer's desires.  I've driven a 2018 Model 3 and a 2021 Model S Plaid.  Even the M3 was special.  The instant acceleration from zero to 60kph is something you would use constantly. The handling compared to a Camry is incomparable, the infotainment experience, Spotify, presetting temperature so you get into a cool or warm car as you like....the tech is way ahead of the Camry.

I posted nothing about the technology, I responded to your post that referenced "looks" and compared Tesla's looks to the Camry's. 

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Governments provide Tesla's charging stations?   Really?  Serious question.

They are mostly private in the US. And I don't see that happening here. These guys are not serious enough.

Yes, I know that, in fact all those charging stations are private enterprises, they are not state-provided facilities. 

Why would any EV manufacturer wanting to sell their vehicles here in Thailand not ensure that their customers can charge the sodding things?  It's ridiculous to even suggest that the vehicle manufacturers would be that short-sighted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Will the chargers be maintained or just left for weeks if they develop a fault? Maintenance is not something they are really good at after all.

Imagine that finally getting to a Cs at 3am for it to be out of order.

Still that's where the Phev would come in handy.

Saying that you are still dragging around all the weight of the Ev that's not being used.

Still not convinced it would be beneficial to everyone yet.

Don't get me wrong it would be perfect for some people who wonder about town and back to get some food and walk around big c while it's charging. (when the supermarkets eventually put in the Cs stations)

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I know that, in fact all those charging stations are private enterprises, they are not state-provided facilities. 

Why would any EV manufacturer wanting to sell their vehicles here in Thailand not ensure that their customers can charge the sodding things?  It's ridiculous to even suggest that the vehicle manufacturers would be that short-sighted.

Great satire. Bordering on Carlinesque! 

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Don't get me wrong it would be perfect for some people ... 

Local driving, or local O&A (out & about), less than 200 kms round trip, of course no prob, charging at home, especially if having solar.

As far as longer O&As, looking at my past 3 yrs of, and not one place would I not have a CS or 3 to top up at.  As you can see, we get O&A quite a bit.

Out and About 2020 21 22.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

What if you are planning a long distance trip, say Bangkok to Chiang Mai. You would need to top up on the way? For around town no problem I would agree but otherwise not convinced.

Yes this is how i feel i really like the idea of using solar to charge it but to be honest i hate even waiting for 2 people to fill my tank so unless they can do at least 700km in one go this is really not for me.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 11:26 PM, KhunLA said:

Actually worse, since I believe those complaints are more about safety items ????

https://www.iseecars.com/car-complaints-study

Here is a sobering message for EV owners.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-21/lithium-ion-battery-fires-warning-issued/101569244

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:
On 12/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Great satire. Bordering on Carlinesque! 

No satire, whatsoever.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Actually.  This is a nothing burger for EV owners.  Gas cars catch fire 50 times more frequently per same number of cars.  Especially Tesla has this figured out.  They've sold over 3 million cars and you almost never hear of a Tesla battery fire.  

2 hours ago, Nepal4me said:

Actually.  This is a nothing burger for EV owners.  Gas cars catch fire 50 times more frequently per same number of cars.  Especially Tesla has this figured out.  They've sold over 3 million cars and you almost never hear of a Tesla battery fire.  

You may be right, the article was about a scooter, although I do seem to remember a ship at the bottom of the Atlantic where a fire in a luxury EV was cited as the most probable cause.

Batteries are stored energy, just like gasoline is. Both have the potential for nasty surprises.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Does the Thai Tesla version have the international standard CCS2 charging socket? (as it does in Europe)

Are will be they have Tesla's proprietary USA socket?

I'm hoping they let us lowly MG owners use their Super Chargers, though I think the car will only accept a certain amount / speed anyway.  Just the option of more CS would be a plus.   Especially 5 yrs down the line.

Though not sure how many O&As we'll be up for after another 5 yrs of exploring this tiny A$$ country ????

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm hoping they let us lowly MG owners use their Super Chargers, though I think the car will only accept a certain amount / speed anyway.  Just the option of more CS would be a plus.   Especially 5 yrs down the line.

Though not sure how many O&As we'll be up for after another 5 yrs of exploring this tiny A$$ country ????

LA,

What type of charging system did you put in for your MG EV.  Looking at adding the EV to my stable now that I am out of BKK and in PKK where the open road is just that, the open road.

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The wall charger that came with the car, installed by MG's subcontractor.  Though doubt if it will get much use.  Been using the granny/'emergency' (MG's label) charger, since slower is better for battery longevity.  Charges at 2.3kW an hour, so a bit of planning, or simply plug it in every day, if needing.

2 months having and only used wall charger (7.4kW) 3 times.  5kW tester, and 2 small top ups, <10kW each, I think.

Actually connected wall charger to grid, instead of solar, since it does draw 7.4kW, and will rarely use.  Not sure if it really matters, but was thinking, no need to stress the inverter (8kW).  Supposedly, inverter will put out 8.8kW, per specs in manual.

We plug in every 2 or 3 days, depending, as don't drive much locally, unless explore a new restaurant/coffee shop with view.  Still use the E-MB for morning runs with the dog to the park, less than 15 kms park / surfside cruise.  

I try to keep the battery (50.1 kW) at 60-80%, unless knowing I'm going somewhere, then I'll top up to 100%.  Which I did 3 times this pass week, up to Hua Hin & back, and no problems managing.  Didn't bother with wall charger.   If rainy season I may have had to resort to the wall charger/grid.  So there if needed as back up.

When we go to Hua Hin, round trip, total 225 kms, and still have 35ish % left.

Keep car at 50% minimum, JIC a medical emergency, as will get us to HH within an hour, since local hospital isn't too high tech.

Wall charger is now my 'emergency' charger.

Sounds to me you are making your life unnecessarily difficult.........but there is some enjoyment in that, too, I guess. To wit, charging a 50KWh battery at 7 KW is more like coasting than stressing. Don't forget that max recuperating is probably several times 7 KW.........just sayin'. DC fast charging is a different pony, so if you can get around doing that each time, that could possibly be beneficial.

One more thing that most people get wrong - the wall 'charger' or the granny 'charger' are not really chargers at all - they are fancy switches to start and stop the charging process, nothing more. The fancy stuff happens in the on-board charger in the car - change voltage, invert AC to DC etc.

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The wall charger that came with the car, installed by MG's subcontractor.  Though doubt if it will get much use.  Been using the granny/'emergency' (MG's label) charger, since slower is better for battery longevity.  Charges at 2.3kW an hour, so a bit of planning, or simply plug it in every day, if needing.

2 months having and only used wall charger (7.4kW) 3 times.  5kW tester, and 2 small top ups, <10kW each, I think.

Actually connected wall charger to grid, instead of solar, since it does draw 7.4kW, and will rarely use.  Not sure if it really matters, but was thinking, no need to stress the inverter (8kW).  Supposedly, inverter will put out 8.8kW, per specs in manual.

We plug in every 2 or 3 days, depending, as don't drive much locally, unless explore a new restaurant/coffee shop with view.  Still use the E-MB for morning runs with the dog to the park, less than 15 kms park / surfside cruise.  

I try to keep the battery (50.1 kW) at 60-80%, unless knowing I'm going somewhere, then I'll top up to 100%.  Which I did 3 times this pass week, up to Hua Hin & back, and no problems managing.  Didn't bother with wall charger.   If rainy season I may have had to resort to the wall charger/grid.  So there if needed as back up.

When we go to Hua Hin, round trip, total 225 kms, and still have 35ish % left.

Keep car at 50% minimum, JIC a medical emergency, as will get us to HH within an hour, since local hospital isn't too high tech.

Wall charger is now my 'emergency' charger.

Did you run a dedicated wall outlet for the 'emergency' charger to plug into when they installed the wall charger? of do you just plug the emergency charger into existing outlet?  not a good way to find out if your existing outlet is up to standards 

10 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Sounds to me you are making your life unnecessarily difficult............... 7KW is more like coasting than stressing.

Neither difficult nor stressful.  Using either, about the same, one just quicker.   As stated, every 2 or 3 day, plug in and it does it's thing.

20% ... 10kW ÷ 2.3kw = < 4.5 hours.  Usually plug in about 0600 hrs.  

Plug in, make coffee, watch sunrise, read internet, walk the dog, locally, or to the park/surfside.  Car is topped (80%) by then.  Have first meal before noon.  Just another beautiful day.

Since solar, basically free.  Same with the E-MB, about once a week, and takes < 2 hrs for that.

Beats making special trip to petrol station, involving a round about journey, extra few kms, just to get there, actually 7 kms to go 3.4 kms away ???? Since station is N, out of the way, of anywhere I go in my normal day.  Takes a liter of petrol, just to get petrol.

Once a month, I let it balance and top up to 100%.  All a bit too easy.

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

Did you run a dedicated wall outlet for the 'emergency' charger to plug into when they installed the wall charger? of do you just plug the emergency charger into existing outlet?  not a good way to find out if your existing outlet is up to standards 

Granny charging draws about the same power as an electric iron - about 2.2kW. There really shouldn't be a problem.

As an experiment, I recently plugged my granny charger into a normal outlet in my girlfriend's parents' modest, rural house in Nakhon Si Thammarat for about 3 hours. Worked perfectly. Nothing tripped or heated up.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, macahoom said:

Granny charging draws about the same power as an electric iron - about 2.2kW. There really shouldn't be a problem.

As an experiment, I recently plugged my granny charger into a normal outlet in my girlfriend's parents' modest, rural house in Nakhon Si Thammarat for about 3 hours. Worked perfectly. Nothing tripped or heated up.

Yes, just plug the 'emergency' (MG's description) / granny charger into any outlet, and shouldn't have a problem.  As stated, 2.3kW, and about the same as any high power appliance.  Even less than hot water heaters for the shower, though they only run for 5 to 20 mins, depending who using.

The MG Wall Charger (my 'emergency' charger), already had a line available, as an AC unit was going to be put on same wall.   Installer did run his own line, (wisely, no trust in the world), and did use the same breaker we had set aside for that. 

Wall Charger is on a separate line to the grid. Which is a good thing, as if we use it, it would probably be overnight, due to miscalculation on my part or unplanned trip in the AM by us.  If overnight, would only have about 10kW of solar battery available anyway, so grid would be necessary.  Being on grid, simply saves me the need to reprogram solar inverter to use grid.  Yea, I'm that lazy.

Have 20kW of ESS, need 5kW overnight for house load, and 5kW for reserve, leaving 10kW for EV, so not much, but would take it from 80-100%, if no miscalculation by myself, and actually needed.  As stated, 3 trips to Hua Hin this past week, and no problem topping up EV and running the house with solar.  Plenty of sunshine.  Rainy season may dictate Wall Charger use.

This is Thursday & yesterday, as I took daughter back to Mazda/HH to pick up her car,   Got back @ 30%, I think, and plugged in around noon, then ran some errands, then again prior to sunset.   Yesterday at 0600 AM, so took a while to get back to 80%.  Easy enough as not needing the car.

Thursday, topped up last 5% to 100% ... went to HH, very early AM, wanting to be there when open @ 0830 hrs ... back home, plugged in ... ran errands ... plugged in again.

image.png.0bcf744b5fe783e8a73deb2505cf2e57.png

Yesterday, topped back to 80%

image.png.b4e1c6faf7b6e2c462405930db79e0d6.png

Of course I could have simply used the wall charger, and sprung for the ฿200  to PEA ... oh  Hell NO.  Yea, I'm a spiteful ol' basstard.

Would think most BEV owners do the same, or use their wall charger, no matter EV brand, if not as anal/anti PEA as myself.  Simply because having solar.

You park, you plug in, not a whole lot of thought, effort or stress involved.  Do it every time, or plan every couple of days.

Edited by KhunLA