How to get out of team-building trips

Mr Derek

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This thread has been a complete ‘pile-on’....    

The Op has been verbally bullied because he cares deeply for his wife and wants to protect her. 

Quite admirable sentiment even if the logic is somewhat misplaced. 

Cares that deeply he want hers to tell her employer bare faced lies to get of going.

nice husband.

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Cares that deeply he want hers to tell her employer bare faced lies to get of going.

nice husband.

Sanctimonious much ???

Perhaps he also has concerns that some of the co-workers or bosses are predatory rapey sex-pests who’ll ply the females with booze before taking advantage of them in their drunken slumber !! :whistling:

On 12/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Ralf001 said:

have managed to fingerbang my way through a lot of the female office staff on these type of trips..

alcohol is great !!!

I have re read the OP twice.

He said he has ONE "objection".

That is his wife travelling to seminars several times a year. 

He explained his objection fully and asked if any others felt the same way.

In doing do he has been labeled as some kind of selfish, idiotic, self centered control freak while in reality he only has concerns for his wife's safety because he clearly loves her and has concerns.

All the replies needed to say were on the lines of "you are over reacting, she'll be OK" or " don't worry mate, she'll be fine" or " although traffic and driving is really <deleted> in Thailand, %%% show it's not so bad". Even though, just like winning the lottery, however low the %%% might be, it has to happen to someone.

It's no wonder forums are losing their appeal when it comes to asking advice.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I'm aware of these activities, often called 'Leadership Walk Rally'.

Thai banks and other organizations/companies are convinced they build leadership quality and they motivate all staff.

But there's no leadership presentations etc.

For many years I was a co regioanl director for a large high profile management consultancy, I was based in Bkk because my Thai family was there. The other co-director was a respected, high achieveing Thai man.

Many times we were appraoched by the HR managers of banks etc., asking us to lead the Leadership Walk Rally activities but the bank etc., would provide all the details. (Had to be the same as other banks/companies or there would be loss of face.

Each time we were appraoched my Thai director and myself discussed the content (laid down by the client) asking them what was the purpose / what was the gain expected from each activity? They couldn't answer our questions.

Final discussion points:

-  'How does this activity actually build leadership quality, and how would you expect leadership behaviors to permanently change?'

- Same question re motivation.

They had no answers.

Our response: sorry but we are already overlaoded for the next 12 months at least with work already contracted with other clients, but good luck with your 'Leadership Walk Rally'.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:03 PM, Ralf001 said:

have managed to fingerbang my way through a lot of the female office staff on these type of trips..

alcohol is great !!!

Are you trying for the low-life post of the year?

If you need the support of alcohol to get into a woman's panties, it says a lot about you.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, Mr Derek said:

I oppose it because it's a needless risk for a trivial event and I'm angry that these companies force people to make these pointless and inefficient journeys - no reason why they couldn't do it at some place in town.

Get a grip man, life is full of risk.

Thai culture places more value on this kind of team-building, training or whatever it is. Sure some of it could be in town but the reason to have it somewhere a bit more remote is so people spend time together rather than buggering off in all directions to the nearest mall/bar or whatever.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, Mr Derek said:

Please. This is about offering potentially life-saving advice. Priorities mate.

Oh, I get it now - you are surely trolling. 

Edited by realfunster
Typo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm aware of these activities, often called 'Leadership Walk Rally'.

Thai banks and other organizations/companies are convinced they build leadership quality and they motivate all staff.

But there's no leadership presentations etc.

For many years I was a co regioanl director for a large high profile management consultancy, I was based in Bkk because my Thai family was there. The other co-director was a respected, high achieveing Thai man.

Many times we were appraoched by the HR managers of banks etc., asking us to lead the Leadership Walk Rally activities but the bank etc., would provide all the details. (Had to be the same as other banks/companies or there would be loss of face.

Each time we were appraoched my Thai director and myself discussed the content (laid down by the client) asking them what was the purpose / what was the gain expected from each activity? They couldn't answer our questions.

Final discussion points:

-  'How does this activity actually build leadership quality, and how would you expect leadership behaviors to permanently change?'

- Same question re motivation.

They had no answers.

Our response: sorry but we are already overlaoded for the next 12 months at least with work already contracted with other clients, but good luck with your 'Leadership Walk Rally'.

Of course.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:45 AM, BritManToo said:

Diplomatic solution,

Tell her you're going to stay in Pattaya while she's away.

Exactly what a mate of mine does when his missus goes on a temple retreat. Thankfully for him she goes about every other month. And she let's him go! 

• Haha 1

To be honest, I would hate to have to go on so many of these trips.

There is a line that needs to be drawn, for the most part, between colleagues and friends.

I could not imagine how dull and mundane it would be to be holed up with a bunch of people I have nothing more in common with than working in the same place. Sure, I have made friends, some good mates, at work but generally switch off each day as I walk out the door.