Have you had high cholesterol  – How successful have you been in lowering your numbers .

backstreet

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

And this would counteract your image as merely a hypocritical troll suggesting that others should do what you yourself won't--

That's OK. When I was on twitter for work-type stuff, I used to say that I keep my writings short enough so that people have already finished reading it before they realized that they wished they hadn't read it.

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Exactly. Note how nothing has been learned from the COVID debacle. I've given some references about the bias in these quasi-gov't sites above. Outdated advice from the 1950s.

it may have to do with bureaucracy. they made claims in the 50s based on information they had. but when new information comes in, it's too bureucratic to change their policies.

the guy at the top will look bad and lose face if he has to admit that the initial claims were wrong.

he may even lose his job, so it's easier just to stick with the false claims.

or sth like that. 

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

The purpose of resistance training isn't to lose weight or to help you avoid getting fat. It won't do that. You can google the importance of resistance training in general and for seniors specifically and discover the benefits. Also discover some stats on falls in seniors and the consequences.

yeah, i will try to do some at some point. lifting weights is torture, though.

my point was that i don't think hunter-gatherer tribes have access to gyms, yet they don't have chronic illness.

cyclists have strong legs, no? takes strength to get the bike uphill ... the only problem is the dangerous traffic. 

and yeah, chasing thai girls is good sport. even if you end up being the prey, it's all good fun.

Edited by save the frogs

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

High carb low fat, works great contrary what some say on here

I don't need to listen to what everyone says.

I've experimented with my own body.

Carbs don't keep you full. If you're high carb and low fat and low protein, you will be hungry every 2 hours.

I skipped a meal a few weeks ago. A usual high protein high fat meal. And then I started binging the rest of the day.

I find it hard to believe that you can eat like that and not binge every couple of hours and gain weight.

It's the fat and the protein that keeps you satiated so that you don't need to eat every couple of hours.

That's been my personal experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure why this post from 16th December appeared as a  featured topic on your daily email to me today, but for information I swear by 2 daily Lecethin capsules. 

I don't watch my diet, am a bit of a salad-dodger in fact, but was told by my GP a few years ago (in my 50s) that my cholesterol was extremely low. She was really surprised. I had been borderline high in the past. 

I haven't had a health check since though, don't want to jinx it.... . ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

That's OK. When I was on twitter for work-type stuff, I used to say that I keep my writings short enough so that people have already finished reading it before they realized that they wished they hadn't read it.

Sounds like your twitter posts were also a waste of space. But, read aright, your posts do have entertainment value. Keep 'em comin'. Oh--since it's Christmas, you might upload the pose with the red Speedo.

Yet I'm beginning to suspect, given the lack of photos or even the numbers, combined with your reluctance to give your reason for hiding them, that your swimming hasn't been particularly good cardio for you; and, despite your pettifogging about water and resistance, in reality it doesn't substitute for real resistance strength training at all.

Could it be you're just another old fat out-of-shape guy taking a bunch of meds? What a surprise. No wonder the trolling. Now you could at least answer the OP's question about the cholesterol. I did, as did many others. Yes?

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

in reality it doesn't substitute for real resistance strength training at all.

you're right. everyone needs to do resistance training.

but we're lazy creatures who like to take the path of least resistance. 

although you can still remain reasonably healthy and slim on good diet alone. 

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you're right. everyone needs to do resistance training.

That's very wrong,  unfortunately. 

Diet is no substitute for resistance training.  Only resistance training can slow the inevitable loss of muscle when you age. 

You need the muscles to stay independent and to prevent falls. Falls in old age often lead to death.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Sounds like your twitter posts were also a waste of space. But, read aright, your posts do have entertainment value. Keep 'em comin'. Oh--since it's Christmas, you might upload the pose with the red Speedo.

Yet I'm beginning to suspect, given the lack of photos or even the numbers, combined with your reluctance to give your reason for hiding them, that your swimming hasn't been particularly good cardio for you; and, despite your pettifogging about water and resistance, in reality it doesn't substitute for real resistance strength training at all.

Could it be you're just another old fat out-of-shape guy taking a bunch of meds? What a surprise. No wonder the trolling. Now you could at least answer the OP's question about the cholesterol. I did, as did many others. Yes?

I read your posts about fitness and health with great interest. 

I agree with a lot of things,  and I can learn from your posts. 

From a diatribe like this,  I learn nothing,  unfortunately. 

Please write more posts that will educate your readers (I don't think I am the only one who learns something from your posts) and don't waste your energy.

Thanks a lot for posting

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I read your posts about fitness and health with great interest. 

I agree with a lot of things,  and I can learn from your posts. 

From a diatribe like this,  I learn nothing,  unfortunately. 

Please write more posts that will educate your readers (I don't think I am the only one who learns something from your posts) and don't waste your energy.

Thanks a lot for posting

Thank you. I totally agree. A man's gotta have a little entertainment responding to the trolls in the midst of the real work. It is of course a waste of time. I think he's about done now. "Dogs bark when the caravan passes."

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

Me, too, as long as it achieves the goal. Work smarter, not harder. By doing intervals, for example, my cardio is only 20 min (2x10) a week. Actual intense effort is only--3 minutes. How do I know this works?

Although studies have reported varying degrees of responses to cardiovascular-related physiological markers in response to acute interval exercise, interval exercise appears to be comparable or even more effective in improving cardiovascular health than other types of exercise. In other words, the strength-duration curve matters, to the skeletal muscle of the limbs, the smooth muscle of the blood vessels, and the cardiac muscle of the heart, together with the autonomic control of heart rate. In this narrative review, the main focus is to compile the acute effects of HIIT and MCT after exercise.

--https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9127236/
https://www.sci-sport.com/en/articles/Impact-of-resistance-training-on-arterial-stiffness-209.php  

Twelve Weeks of Sprint Interval Training Improves Indices of Cardiometabolic Health Similar to Traditional Endurance Training despite a Five-Fold Lower Exercise Volume and Time Commitment

You can read much more in the book written by one of the lead reseachers in the field, The One Minute Workout by Martin Gibala. True, intensity requires more effort but only for a short time.

And my own results have been consistent with what the research predicts. Forget that ol' joint-wearing long slow cardio.

I also use HIT to get outta the gym quickly. That counts as cardio as well. To convince yourself of this, you'd need to read Doug McGuff's Body By Science.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

How's that working out for you? Well, you dunno, actually, which makes your opinions rather worthless and really amount to comforting excuses. I mean, even n=1 is better than n=0, right? We must wonder whether this reasoning from no reasons may reflect cognitive decline owing to lack of exercise.

Now if it "works," according to your undefined definition, how long will it work?

image.png.b89c5551c911290bcf41f9e11c715ae6.png

We keep reading uncomfortable science like this:

Compared with undertaking no resistance training, undertaking any amount of resistance training reduced the risk of all-cause mortality by 15% (RR of 6 studies=0.85; 95% CI=0.77, 0.93), cardiovascular disease mortality by 19% (RR of 4 studies=0.81; 95% CI=0.66, 1.00), and cancer mortality by 14% (RR of 5 studies=0.86; 95% CI=0.78, 0.95). A dose-response meta-analysis of 4 studies suggested a nonlinear relationship between resistance training and the risk of all-cause mortality. A maximum risk reduction of 27% was observed at around 60 minutes per week of resistance training (RR=0.74; 95% CI=0.64, 0.86). Mortality risk reductions diminished at higher volumes.

--Resistance Training and Mortality Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

The Muscle-Brain Axis and Neurodegenerative Diseases: The Key Role of Mitochondria in Exercise-Induced Neuroprotection

An Exercise-Induced Metabolic Shield in Distant Organs Blocks Cancer Progression and Metastatic Dissemination

Acute effect of high-intensity interval aerobic exercise on serum myokine levels and resulting tumour-suppressive effect in trained patients with advanced prostate cancer

Exercise and Adipose Tissue Immunity: Outrunning Inflammation

Fig 1

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2031

I try to work from known probabilities based on the science. Your knowledge seems to come from a Higher Power, so good luck with that.

BTW, I try to listen to music or watch videos when I exercise. Makes it a lot less boring. Taking days off between sessions is also important for recovery.  

"I don't have any motivation to exercise"

Stay unhealthy, weak, and depressed, I guess.

--P. D. Mangan

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

That's very wrong,  unfortunately. 

Diet is no substitute for resistance training.  Only resistance training can slow the inevitable loss of muscle when you age. 

You need the muscles to stay independent and to prevent falls. Falls in old age often lead to death.

I don't think we have much statistical data to support your claims.

For sure, absolutely 1000% resistance training is important. 

But in terms of people falling in old age .... what diets were they on? 

What I see when I go to the supermarket is people filling their shopping carts with <deleted>.

Most people are not making any effort whatsoever to eat a healthy diet.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

By doing intervals, for example, my cardio is only 20 min (2x10) a week. Actual intense effort is only--3 minutes. How do I know this works?

I hate doing actual cardio in a gym. And I think too much intense cardio isn't healthy. 

But I enjoy tennis. It doesn't feel like work.

And I'm a huge fan of simple ol' walking.

It doesn't feel laborious like being in a gym. Especially if you are in nice surroundings. 

It's low impact, its good for blood flow, it helps lower blood pressure, it helps keep the weight down, its outdoors so you're increasing oxygen to the brain. 

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

Could it be you're just another old fat out-of-shape guy taking a bunch of meds?

Could be. In my younger days, I was taunted for being undersize and skinny.

But this is getting to be like one of those old Burns & Allen routines where George says: Gracie, how's your Uncle in Sheboygan? And Gracie prattles on for the next 5 minutes while George just stands there and smokes his cigar.

Edited by jerrymahoney

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I don't need to listen to what everyone says.

I've experimented with my own body.

Carbs don't keep you full. If you're high carb and low fat and low protein, you will be hungry every 2 hours.

I skipped a meal a few weeks ago. A usual high protein high fat meal. And then I started binging the rest of the day.

I find it hard to believe that you can eat like that and not binge every couple of hours and gain weight.

It's the fat and the protein that keeps you satiated so that you don't need to eat every couple of hours.

That's been my personal experience.

For meals i eat until full, some restaurant food portions are too small so i come home and top up.  if I'm hungry in between meals i eat carbs and fruit, not junk like crisps, chocolate bars, pastries etc. If someone is insulin resistant obviously that's an issue, if not no problem, it's ok to have insulin spikes. It's nice eating when you want, feels better. All blood numbers, BP, RHR are good, I appreciate that's bad news for the low carb people

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, save the frogs said:

But in terms of people falling in old age .... what diets were they on? 

It doesn't matter. Only exercise, esp. resistance training, is going to slow the loss of strength from sarcopenia, besides confer all the other benefits.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

f not no problem, it's ok to have insulin spikes.

It depends, but they may tend to lead to insulin resistance over time. I've given some references above somewhere. The obese and diabetic all started off with "no problem." 

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It doesn't matter. Only exercise, esp. resistance training, is going to slow the loss of strength from sarcopenia, besides confer all the other benefits.

I believe that consistently feeding yourself food with high nutritional value and high in protein throughout your life is a big part of slowing loss of strength.

By all means, do resistance training.

But my point is that, realistically, you will not get most people to do it.

Resistance training is HARD. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Could be. In my younger days, I was taunted for being undersize and skinny.

Heh. Well, no more taunting.???? It's amazing how obese the once undersized and skinny can become. One such friend of mine died at age 72 after her gov't insurance paid a million or so on her docs, meds, and surgeries. The cool thing is that her grave is located on a hill in view of her favorite discount store: Target.

14 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Heh. Well, no more taunting.???? It's amazing how obese the once undersized and skinny can become. One such friend of mine died at age 72 after her gov't insurance paid a million or so on her docs, meds, and surgeries. The cool thing is that her grave is located on a hill in view of her favorite discount store: Target.

Oh well. Tar-Jay

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I believe that consistently feeding yourself food with high nutritional value and high in protein throughout your life is a big part of slowing loss of strength.

But most people don't, you see, or exercise, with obvious results. I love all these irrational beliefs merely designed to excuse yourself from exercise.???? You've yet to present a shred of evidence about anything, and you're also scared to get a medical checkup, so basically you're just trolling. As I told you in my first reply in your series, man up.

11 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

But my point is that, realistically, you will not get most people to do it.

You've mistaken me for somebody who gives a s**t. Here, I enjoy pointing out ignorance, misconceptions, and misinformation while having a laugh whenever possible. And I try to help the rare person actually seeking help, such as @backstreet. That's what makes posting on health & fitness forums on reddit much more rewarding. There people are actually trying to improve--and they do, with remarkable success stories--not come up with silly excuses.

What most people do leads to predictable results, as is easily seen.

13 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Resistance training is HARD. 

Oh, you can start easy and gradually get used to it. YAWN.

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I hate doing actual cardio in a gym.

SHOCK

And I think too much intense cardio isn't healthy. 

Another straw man argument. @scubascuba3once came up the with the brilliant eating too much cheese can make you fat. Well, that's it then. ???? How 'bout, you can die from drinking too much water? We can keep this up all day, as Jack Nicholson famously said in Goin' South.

But I enjoy tennis. It doesn't feel like work.

And I'm a huge fan of simple ol' walking.

Great. So you've got the diet down. "Eat what I want when I want," BTW, has long been one of the conclusions of ace ANF Poster Longevity Science. Nothing new there. Most supplicants in the Health forum totally agree; the questions are those of the cheapest & best docs & meds. Can't help with that.

And you've got the exercise all down pat.

No cause for concern then, except for some reason you're just awfully concerned and need to keep reassuring yourself.

So with that, lacking any references or numbers, I guess you've got nothing but more repetition of the same unhelpful opinions.

Now, hopefully someone will come along with something on topic and useful.

14 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Another straw man argument.

what are you talking about?

it's my OPINION based on what I've read.

I suppose I can provide links to back up this claim, but it may just turn into an endless ping pong match.

as i mentioned in a previous post, you can find some of the top medical researchers in the world engaging in debates on Youtube. 

if some of the world's top doctors and researchers can't agree on everything, do you think you will conclusively argue each and every one of your points on this forum? 

at some point, you need to take in information and just "go with your gut". 

because there is a lot of conflicting information in the nutritional world.

and clearly, what i say has no clout as i am just a man with a frog avatar. 

so get your information directly from the source ie qualified professionals. 

I think I'm going to extricate myself from this conversation now. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

if I'm hungry in between meals

Owing to an insulin drop from the previous spke . . .

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i eat carbs and fruit

so continuing the cycle of spikes and drops

It's nice eating when you want, feels better.

I agree. And it's even nicer not feeling hungry between meals, feels even better.

All blood numbers, BP, RHR are good, I appreciate that's bad news for the low carb people

If I were you, I'd get an OGTT, which you haven't had. Couple of things you're doing good, like staying away from junk food. And you're in effect calorie restricting and burning off some, maybe a lot, of the carbs via exercise, given the supposed VO2max of 50. We have another member doing much the same thing, and taking berberine. Once a pre-diabetic, if he stops exercising, he gets fat. 

40 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

it's my OPINION based on what I've read.

Ah. But no one you've read advocates exercising or doing anything else too much, so whom are you talking to? You haven't defined too much or discovered any member here doing that too much. But you could, since your too much seems effectively to amount to any more than casual walking or a casual game of tennis once in a while.???? I think if you actually do read, you'll find that the walking prescriptions for better health are for a regular schedule of at least moderate intensity--which you might find too much and stressful. Physical activity isn't exercise.

Avoiding stress is fundamental to our great Principles, of course. Chasing after docs and meds, undergoing surgeries, waiting in waiting rooms, and paying medical bills somehow isn't stressful, however. I love this forum.

some of the top medical researchers in the world engaging in debates on Youtube. 

No, they debate in the medical journals. But they agree that it's better to prevent disease if possible, rather than just treat the symptoms when they appear. And they agree on a few helpful fundamentals. You know if you're on the prevention track through regular medical checkups, which you're not doing.

Chronic disease is going to appear anyway. But, in the absence of congenital defect, it's up to you whether that'll be sooner rather than later.

at some point, you need to take in information and just "go with your gut". 

You're singing to the choir. That point seems to have arrived quite early for most. ????

Edited by BigStar

33 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I think I'm going to extricate myself from this conversation now. 

Same here, as seems no matter what you state, unless agreeing completely with BS & his expert, you're wrong.  Went a step further and simply ignored, as the few he hasn't chased off may have something interesting to add.

I know my body, which he/she/it apparently knows better, and I know what works for me.  That's pretty much all that matters.  Making some adjustments with age & lifestyle.

Someone asked for advice, we gave it, and don't need the sermon from self proclaimed expert after every reply.

Know your body, know your numbers, research info and advice, and find out what works for you.  It's not a 1 size fits all scenario.

Be Safe

Be Healthy

Be Happy

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Know your body, know your numbers, research info and advice, and find out what works for you.  It's not a 1 size fits all scenario.

Sounds great. So far, it's not working as well as it might, so I hope you'll find some research info and advice, other than to take more--or different--meds, that do work better for you. I dare not suggest any. ????

For many, though, docs and meds "work." Perfectly acceptable here, and the questions are mostly about which docs and meds, where I can't help. Up 2 you, as we often hear in Pattaya. ????

Edited by BigStar

Had/have high cholesterol , docs gave me statines.

Worked but got lots of other problems in return. Checked on line for statines and many more people had lots of healthy problems. So i refused statines and many doctors dont see the point in statines.

Started curcuma. Levels were lower(once i was on 9 and then on 3). Told my specialist and said "doesnt work" . I asked why is level down then? He didnt know, so I said "placebo effect?" Maybe he said. So now i knew it shouldnt work, but continued and the level stayed down.

So I dont know and also not my "specialist". My body did it by itself?

However I got also problem with curcuma, same as with statine. Then i stopped also curcuma.

I got with statine at the end, terrible headaches. No matter what kind of statine.

And the curcuma did the same after long time, but not intense like the statine. That one was really bad. The last (nr 4 or so) statine i tried, i took 4 days and then my head exploded and I really wanted to die. Since then, no statine ever will enter my mouth.

About cholesterol, if it oxidizes in your body , you can have scaling in your veins and that is the real problem. Of course if you lower level then the changes are slimmer, but they should have a medicine which prevents the oxidation of cholesterol! I think statine is there for wrong and many doctors think the same. As also statines give LOTS of physical, healthy problems as side effect. There are even people who cant walk anymore, due to statines.  

But it is a million dollar drug, prescripted to many people.

But thanks not for me anymore.  

• Like 2