Desktop Build - Recommendations CM

wimpy

Time for a new desktop. Looking for recommendations for a shop in Chiang Mai to build a desktop using premium quality components. No gaming. Just want a high end reliable (linux) machine capable of running three high resolution monitors. Thanks.

44 minutes ago, dddave said:

I suggest you go to the Reddit forum "r/buildapc"  Really helpful information provided by knowledgeable responders.  Tell them what you want and they will provide you with the best configurations.  There is also a very helpful tool that tells you the compatibility of various components along with price comparisons.  When I built my first PC several years ago this site was incredibly helpful and I ended up with a great PC for my needs for surprisingly little money, under B20K

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

Excellent suggestion. Get the parts list, check availability in Thailand, make substitutions as needed, then buy the parts from JIB, Advance, or Invadit and they'll build it free or at nominal cost. That's what I'd do just from sheer boredom of building PCs. I might improve the cable management later when I needed to clean or replace a part.

• Like 1

So, you know where you talking about.

May I advice to take a look for all inside components to hwinfo.com

From all the components you will see test results, after you have make a choice, you can searching for that at lazada or shopee.

In the begin I order many things at invadeit, but also many times his prices are to high.

So now I do it as described above.

One example, 2 years ago I need a new monitor 4k, and found recommended as good a monitor from B&Q, at invadeit nearly 40000 thb, after searching at a shop in BKK for 30000 (through Lazada) so I give Invadeit a chance but he told me he couldn't buy it for that price and he didn't want to give a discount.

• Like 1

I've also been looking to build a new one but have been put off due to the ddr4 or ddr5 choice which also affects the motherboard to buy, and the costly graphics cards. After spending so much money recently, I think it's more prudent for me to wait another year to see if they can increase the ddr5 clock speeds and lower the latency. If I were to choose a supplier though, I'd stick to JIB unless tempted by other sellers on Lazada. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I've also been looking to build a new one but have been put off due to the ddr4 or ddr5 choice which also affects the motherboard to buy, and the costly graphics cards. After spending so much money recently, I think it's more prudent for me to wait another year to see if they can increase the ddr5 clock speeds and lower the latency. If I were to choose a supplier though, I'd stick to JIB unless tempted by other sellers on Lazada. 

A rule of thumb I always observe when buying computers is to never buy the bleeding edge but pick the price / performance sweet spot. Generally about a year or two old.

The chances that you'll see the difference between ddr4 and ddr5 is probably quite low. If you do a lot of gaming or image rendering then go for the highest spec possible. If budget is a concern for you then I suggest that's probably not the case.

Buying at the top of the market results in hanging on to the computer longer rather than trading up every so often (5 years for me). This in turn results in a negative performance effect over time. Computers evolve very rapidly.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

Just bought one myself.  Inside of Computer Plaza.  North side of canal.  18.795908, 98.980924

It's the shop on the right as you go in the front door just before JIB if I remember right.  I had first gone to JIB (or whatever the fancy looking shop was), but then decided to sit down with the sales staff in the rather cramped looking computer store right before it.  Told them what my basic parameters were (I run VirtualBox VMs on Linux) and we picked out the motherboard, Intel i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia graphic, SSD drives, desktop housing, and peripherals including a new monitor.  They took it back to the back of the shop and had it built in about 20 minutes. Total cost was less expensive that any of the pre-builts in the fancy showroom store. Took it home and I'm a happy camper.
The gal at the register speaks good English and the staff are efficient.  Highly recommend them.

421714883_Screenshotfrom2022-12-1710-35-47.png.87b7577bec9c9c9e954ee30d51e59d66.png

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Buying at the top of the market results in hanging on to the computer longer rather than trading up every so often (5 years for me). This in turn results in a negative performance effect over time. Computers evolve very rapidly.

That's a very interesting point. I was initially looking to 'future-proof' my PC, so I wouldn't need to worry about performance for some time to come. I mostly use Lightroom, Photoshop and Vegas Pro, oh and look at ASEAN NOW. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

After all that DIY advice I suggest look for decent shop and let them suggest a configuration.

Better first to have an idea from disinterested experts such as on r/reddit. A shop will have a conflict of interest. Maybe that won't affect their recommendation. But putting self-interest above the consumer's needs wouldn't be unheard of in Thailand, would it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Just went for a late generation NUC, have to say, am pretty happy.  The two HDMI ports plus one of the three(!) USB 3.2 ports should satisfy your monitor requirement.

It's basically an unlocked laptop CPU /w integrated GPU but it's fast and quiet.

And one of those USB 3.2 ports can be used to add an external GPU, should that requirement ever appear.

Really, USB 3.2 is the game changer.  Big desktops don't make as much sense anymore.

I initially was looking for a NUC, but found I could do better just building a standard desktop from a price standpoint as well as easily upgrading it.  Form factor wasn't that big of a deal to me.
But with that said, NUC are kinda cool new tech.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Just bought one myself.  Inside of Computer Plaza.  North side of canal.  18.795908, 98.980924

It's the shop on the right as you go in the front door just before JIB if I remember right.  I had first gone to JIB (or whatever the fancy looking shop was), but then decided to sit down with the sales staff in the rather cramped looking computer store right before it.  Told them what my basic parameters were (I run VirtualBox VMs on Linux) and we picked out the motherboard, Intel i5 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia graphic, SSD drives, desktop housing, and peripherals including a new monitor.  They took it back to the back of the shop and had it built in about 20 minutes. Total cost was less expensive that any of the pre-builts in the fancy showroom store. Took it home and I'm a happy camper.
The gal at the register speaks good English and the staff are efficient.  Highly recommend them.

421714883_Screenshotfrom2022-12-1710-35-47.png.87b7577bec9c9c9e954ee30d51e59d66.png

About 3 years ago, I bought a lenovo all in one desktop, was very unhappy with it, then some kind poster suggested I get an SDD fitted.

Best computer advice I ever got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, connda said:

from a price standpoint

I can now say I've built a half-dozen systems in my life.  The ones I built back home were pretty straightforward owing to the reliable supply chain.  The ones I built in SE Asia, not so much.  You get an issue with a motherboard or RAM and it's a huge PITA to chase down a solution here, and expensive too.

The NUC I got was on some kind of sale as I compared the price with what I would've paid back home and it was virtually the same, so that's what really tipped the scales for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

I can now say I've built a half-dozen systems in my life.  The ones I built back home were pretty straightforward owing to the reliable supply chain.  The ones I built in SE Asia, not so much.  You get an issue with a motherboard or RAM and it's a huge PITA to chase down a solution here, and expensive too.

The NUC I got was on some kind of sale as I compared the price with what I would've paid back home and it was virtually the same, so that's what really tipped the scales for me.

I believe you made the best choice. It doesn't make sense anymore to buy a full sized desktop unless using a graphics card requiring high end cooling. Laptops are the worst choice unless you want to sit by the hotel pool and work or when travelling a lot. When travelling to a place where I will stay a while, I may either buy a new monitor or pay excess baggage and bring one with me. I pack a keyboard and mouse in my normal luggage. Laptops can weigh 6 to 8 Kg with a charger and airlines don't cover checked computers for damage or loss so a laptop soaks up my carry on allowance.

Additionally laptops have a smaller monitor than I like to use as I work in IT.

Edited by ozimoron

44 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

The ones I built in SE Asia, not so much.  You get an issue with a motherboard or RAM and it's a huge PITA to chase down a solution here, and expensive too.

Does that mean you'll never have any issue with your NUC's motherboard and RAM and when you do have problems or want to upgrade you'll have no trouble chasing down a solution? 

Edited by BigStar

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Does that mean you'll never have any issue with your NUC's motherboard and RAM and when you do have problems or want to upgrade you'll have no trouble chasing down a solution? 

Misquote I think. If I have any issues with the MB I would just buy a new unit and transfer the RAM and drive to the new machine. New tech, new warranty, repair cost amortised.

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Pssst! Ultrabook.

I can't type on anything other than a regular keyboard. So, if I have a laptop I have to use a regular external keyboard, mouse and monitor anyway.

I do a lot of development so need linux anyway.

Edited by ozimoron

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It doesn't make sense anymore to buy a full sized desktop unless using a graphics card requiring high end cooling.

I like my Corsair Vengeance C70 ammo case. If the building collapses--in my absence, hopefully--it'll be standing in the rubble waiting to be plugged back in. Holds 3 HDDs and 2 SSDs, DVD drive, and a mobile remove rack, no sweat, runs cool, plenty of room for more. So easy to work in, great cable management. Been thru 3 motherboards & CPUs, 2 graphics cards. YEAH. It ain't going nowhere. NUC.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

If you buy standard parts and nothing exotic it's easy to get all the parts in Thailand.

When I want to build a new computer I look what's available in the shops and then I decide which parts I will use. That makes it straigthforward.

Long time ago I searched i.e. for the perfect motherboard online and then I found out they don't sell it in Thailand... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

I don't know what to tell you.  FIve minutes ordering the system online.  Five days later, another five minutes and I'm installing Ubuntu and with absolutely no drama throughout.

I'm assuming Intel knows what it's doing, and is capable of producing a bare-bones system that I won't have to mess with.  Can something go wrong?  Sure.  It just seems really unlikely with this approach.

I also like that, when it's moving time again, the drama-free experience continues.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

After that most of the PCs which I build have a big case, even it is 70% empty.

So what do you need that space for?  The option for the external GPU was a big factor for me.  I can put two on this thing if I want.  And still have ports enough to drive OP's three displays.

I think you can put 2 4K displays on each of the Thunderbolt ports, 2 4K displays on the two leftover USB 3.2 ports, and then 2 4K displays using the two HDMI ports, and that's without resorting to the external GPU.

You can host 2 M.2 devices and 1 SATA SSD so that's, what, 12TB SSD available?  And still can resort to adding drives via USB, possibly via a hub which then gives you another half-dozen ports?

I feel like I can run my own space program with this thing.

• Haha 1