British woman breaks nearly every bone in face in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, Mansell said:

I figured out when I started riding big bikes that in a crash my jaw would probably be broken if not shattered. So I opted for a full face helmet for safety that cost 600 dollars. Well worth the money.

Young and invincible, and caught out by the insurance companies crafty exclusions. Sand or wet leaves on a bend are an accident waiting to happen, and part time riders have no clue of this danger. Very sad she took the brunt of the accident, and on her face. At least she lived to continue her life.

A bit of realism please. No one is going to pay $600 or anything like it to be a pillion passenger on a short holiday to Thailand. 

• Like 1

Just now, Andrew65 said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the UK if you have a full car licence you're licenced to ride motorcycles up to 125cc.

Thats not quite correct, I also think the endorsements vary depending on when you received your licence. 

For example: I’m endorsed for...

AM - Motorcycle with a maximum design speed of not more than 28mph (45kmh)

A79(3) - which is a Trike

Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 07.53.28.png

1 minute ago, Spock said:

A bit of realism please. No one is going to pay $600 or anything like it to be a pillion passenger on a short holiday to Thailand. 

Kind of agree.....  I know so many people who will go on the back of a Motorcycle taxi without a helmet.  

The last time I went on a motorcycle taxi ?? (Samui 8 months ago !)...  I hate doing so. 

While sandboxing in Phuket (2 weeks) I actually bought a helmet and had it shipped to the hotel (I didn’t want to post my own or use a crappy rental helmet).

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Kind of agree.....  I know so many people who will go on the back of a Motorcycle taxi without a helmet.  

The last time I went on a motorcycle taxi ?? (Samui 8 months ago !)...  I hate doing so. 

While sandboxing in Phuket (2 weeks) I actually bought a helmet and had it shipped to the hotel (I didn’t want to post my own or use a crappy rental helmet).

So often there is simply no choice but to use motorcycle taxis and take a bit of a risk. 

36 minutes ago, Spock said:

Can't see how the girl can really be blamed in this instance. 

Its easier for sanctimonious posters to victim blame... this forum is full of ‘em.... 

That said: It would be interesting to know exactly what level of cover the lady had and what excuse is being used by the insurance company to wriggle out of payment. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In my 20-odd years in Thailand I went on a motorbike taxi a grand total of 2 times, too dangerous.

• Like 1

RE - Jo's boyfriend was not as seriously hurt in the crash and is still in Thailand helping to look after her.

* He should consider to travel back home working to cover the bill instead of add up the bill holding her hand in LOS ...

15 hours ago, roo860 said:

According to the local paper she was a passenger. And wore a helmet. 

Sorry to say but most helmets in most shops are a complete joke and don't give any protection. They are just a formality to comply with the law. I'm very sorry for what happened to this woman, maybe some rich Thai tycoon could help to pay her hospital bill. She is in my prayers, I hope she will recover soon. 

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

While posting you comments, please don't post comments like "I won't fund her GoFundMe campaign". Nobody really wants to know that what you would do. It's a very bad situation. Every time I ride a bike as a passenger in hired motor bike, I am scared as hell and limit my ride to the back alleys (sois) only. People make mistake and land in a bad situation like this but there is nothing to rejoice about that. 

excuse me ....   she goes on holiday with no insurance ....  jumps on a rental bike and has an accident, and then wants others to pay.

what part of that don't you understand  ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Onerak said:

While posting you comments, please don't post comments like "I won't fund her GoFundMe campaign". Nobody really wants to know that what you would do. It's a very bad situation. Every time I ride a bike as a passenger in hired motor bike, I am scared as hell and limit my ride to the back alleys (sois) only. People make mistake and land in a bad situation like this but there is nothing to rejoice about that. 

No one is rejoicing.......... but don't expect me to pay for their stupidity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is when you buy insurance you probably do not think about if you are covered  if you ever find yourself on a scooter.

To be fair since she was pillion she probably was not using the bike every day

Feel sorry for her and we all take risks now and then.

I went to Koh Tao last year and that was a risk,

Not just riding the scooters around the island as that was probably the safest part of visiting the island.

22 minutes ago, steven100 said:

excuse me ....   she goes on holiday with no insurance ....  jumps on a rental bike and has an accident, and then wants others to pay.

what part of that don't you understand  ?

We’re not sure if she was insured or if the insurance company have used some clause to wiggle out of payment. 

Insurance companies can be very slippery - I’ve had a payout refused before after they initially pre-authorised cover. 

The lady also went as a passenger on a motorcycle - I think this is something pretty much every single one of us has done in Thailand...  Its not the ‘outrageous risk taking’ you seem to imply it is. 

The lady has suffered some incredible bad luck - but for me, the main question to be asked here is the most important... she allegedly did have cover, how did the insurance wiggle out of payment ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We’re not sure if she was insured or if the insurance company have used some clause to wiggle out of payment. 

Insurance companies can be very slippery - I’ve had a payout refused before after they initially pre-authorised cover. 

The lady also went as a passenger on a motorcycle - I think this is something pretty much every single one of us has done in Thailand...  Its not the ‘outrageous risk taking’ you seem to imply it is. 

The lady has suffered some incredible bad luck - but for me, the main question to be asked here is the most important... she allegedly did have cover, how did the insurance wiggle out of payment ?

to a certain extent you are correct,  however those CC insurance cover when you pay for your trip are very limited,  they don't include jumping on a hire motorbike I expect.   She should have had proper cover instead of expecting other who don't even know her to pay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any travel on a bike, driving or passenger, normally needs extra insurance. Credit card insurance unlikely to have that, which is why she isn't insured, helmet or not, licence or not. 

Regards career break, she could be in a profession like a nurse or teacher, or basic work, where she could pick up a job fairly easily when she goes back. More to life than working for 40 years. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

to a certain extent you are correct,  however those CC insurance cover when you pay for your trip are very limited,  they don't include jumping on a hire motorbike I expect.   She should have had proper cover instead of expecting other who don't even know her to pay.

And if you read the terms and conditions of virtually all UK issued travel insurance policies they have exclusions relating to alcohol intoxication. You have a few beers and trip over leaving the bar, expect the insurer to try and wriggle out of the claim for medical assistance. Who determines intoxication and how do they measure or ascertain it? Very vague and open to interpretation. Virtually no policies offer cover for motorcycles Greater than 125cc and rider must be licenced and helmeted. Say you are licenced but no helmet and fall off and break a leg (no head injury) will they still cover? Probably not even though claim not related to the head.

I read the coverage and it seems that very little is actually covered. Many won't even cover bicycle touring unless paying for extra cover. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steve187 said:

same old same old, riding a m/cycle in Thailand without having the correct licence and or insurance to do so. she thought she was covered by her credit card.

most people got an (travel) insurance, in the small print mostly is excluded of coverage extreme sports., intoxicated, alcohol, diving, and motorbikes, some have even more.

the problem is that also these small prints can change by the premium paid.

never the less is is never wise to drive on two wheels that have engine or motor as main drive or supporting the peddling due to that most insurances exclude this as they seen it an a high risk event to insure. 

47 minutes ago, piston broke said:

wonder if wearing the 80 bart regular rental helmet, or the super deluxe 100 baht one....

surely some cover under the basic government insurance...?

They've gone from 20bt to 80bt and now 100bt, that's inflation for ya.

57 minutes ago, piston broke said:

wonder if wearing the 80 bart regular rental helmet, or the super deluxe 100 baht one....

surely some cover under the basic government insurance...?

The government insurance is third party only up to 50,000 THB, but only if the bike has a 'tax disc'.

Passengers are third party.