Could this corruption scandal signal the end of the EU ?

Social Media

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Yes, it's been a big plus for the UK economy. You've made some ridiculous comments in your time, but this one has got to be up there in the top 10.

I said UK taxpayers money is no longer diverted to the EU. Don't misquote me.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I said UK taxpayers money is no longer diverted to the EU. Don't misquote me.

Where did I misquote you? Where did I alter what you wrote and wrap it in quotation marks?  I just pointed out the ridiculousness of your claim.  Compared to the harm caused to the UK economy by leaving the EU, the UK's payments were very small beer.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I've posted about 10 links in this thread already. Would you consider suitcases of cash as evidence? How about confessions?

https://www.ft.com/content/e3bfd079-5cc7-4f64-9db6-941ca9d5c3d0

https://www.dw.com/en/reports-eu-corruption-scandal-politician-partly-confesses/a-64168454

Come now! No need for false modesty. I'm sure that you have posted more than 10 links which essentially tell the same story. Imo it is good to quote more than one source but >10 is overkill.

Actually, my original post should have been clearer. Have you any NEW evidence to support your contention that this corruption runs deep? My apologies for being ambiguous previously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RayC said:

Come now! No need for false modesty. I'm sure that you have posted more than 10 links which essentially tell the same story. Imo it is good to quote more than one source but >10 is overkill.

Actually, my original post should have been clearer. Have you any NEW evidence to support your contention that this corruption runs deep? My apologies for being ambiguous previously.

You don't understand. It gets truer the more often you repeat it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

True. But you replied to a post which was on topic.

It was a reminder of the question I asked, following this assertion:

"Seems all is not well at the EU. Corruption, dissent, recession, energy crisis.

It's a good job there's no mechanism in place to remove the bigwigs or they'd be toast."

Anyway, it doesn't really matter.

Edited by candide

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 9:16 AM, JonnyF said:

The plot thickens.

It appears that EU Parliamentarians were colluding with Moroccan spies.

https://www.politico.eu/article/mohamed-belahrech-morocco-spy-qatargate-european-union-scandal-corruption/

image.png.fe93883bf9e5ca59bf059065088ea828.png

Looking forward to more news about this as the investigation continues into next year.

I only wish the Met were as keen to investigate corruption and collusion with foreign states in the UK government.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Meanwhile, back in the UK:

Hungry Brits will 'starve to death' as food and energy prices soar

How's that Brexit going for you?:coffee1:

Off topic. Lots of Brexit threads to post in.

Meanwhile in the corrupt EU...

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2023/01/12/nearly-half-of-europeans-say-their-standards-of-living-have-already-declined-as-crises-mou

image.png.934bff14ca555a38da76b808a8d50c88.png

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

The point being?

I thought it was pretty obvious. ????

Many countries have issues due to the Covid fallout and the war in Ukraine. Including countries in the corrupt EU.

Clear enough?

51 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Many countries have issues due to the Covid fallout and the war in Ukraine. Including countries in the corrupt EU.

Yes they do, but none as bad the UK, a country in free fall due to Brexit. Hunger and misery increasing on a daily basis. Well done!

BTW, this corruption case in the EU that you're milking for all it's worth due to its value as a diversion covering the enormous problems the UK is facing massively amplified by Brexit would have been more effective if the UK was corruption free. It's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Yes they do, but none as bad the UK, a country in free fall due to Brexit. Hunger and misery increasing on a daily basis. Well done!

BTW, this corruption case in the EU that you're milking for all it's worth due to its value as a diversion covering the enormous problems the UK is facing massively amplified by Brexit would have been more effective if the UK was corruption free. It's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom

1. Brexit is off topic.

2. Whataboutery won't save you on this one.

Back on topic, let see what comes out of the plea deal. The EU's corruption laid bare for all to see. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/01/17/qatargate-eu-corruption-scandal-panzeri/

image.png.786eb98aa6732a686ce3a4259c8c17eb.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

1. Brexit is off topic.

2. Whataboutery won't save you on this one.

Back on topic, let see what comes out of the plea deal. The EU's corruption laid bare for all to see. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/01/17/qatargate-eu-corruption-scandal-panzeri/

image.png.786eb98aa6732a686ce3a4259c8c17eb.png

Quoting WAPO, are we? You know they're very much against Brexit, right?

I'm sure that the UK government will clean up all the corruption in the EU after we rejoin .... or maybe we won't be allowed back in? After all, recent UK governments have set such high moral standards; the corrupt EU couldn't possibly match these levels of propriety.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/16/britain-going-rejoin-eu-farsooner-anyone-now-imagines/

Edited by RayC
Grammar

25 minutes ago, RayC said:

I'm sure that the UK government will clean up all the corruption in the EU after we rejoin .... or maybe we won't be allowed back in? After all, recent UK governments have set such high moral standards; the corrupt EU couldn't possibly match these levels of propriety.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/16/britain-going-rejoin-eu-farsooner-anyone-now-imagines/

Surely an upstanding nation like the UK could not even consider rejoining this corrupt EU, now exposed again, with its Panzeris down?  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Clear enough?

Pretty silly actually, You seem to forget that the EU actually plays a very small role in the internal affairs of EU countries. Every member state of the EU has it's own elected government the budgets of which far outweigh whatever contributions they make make to the EU. And the each pursue policies that can vary greatly. To ascribe economic problems of those nations to membership in the EU betrays an inability to come to grips with basic arithmetic. And not just with arithmetic.

10 hours ago, placeholder said:

Pretty silly actually, You seem to forget that the EU actually plays a very small role in the internal affairs of EU countries. Every member state of the EU has it's own elected government the budgets of which far outweigh whatever contributions they make make to the EU. And the each pursue policies that can vary greatly. To ascribe economic problems of those nations to membership in the EU betrays an inability to come to grips with basic arithmetic. And not just with arithmetic.

I didn't ascribe the problems to EU membership. That's another strawman. 9 for effort, but only 5 for attainment on that one.

I said countries are having problems whether they are inside the EU or outside the EU. Understand now?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I didn't ascribe the problems to EU membership. That's another strawman. 9 for effort, but only 5 for attainment on that one.

I said countries are having problems whether they are inside the EU or outside the EU. Understand now?

Fair enough.

But given that you try to justify your misstatement of facts when called to account for them, for instance alleging that "vice presidents" had been corrupt, when it was only one,  the 'strawman" comment is just another of your many cheap and false shots.

For a change, try not to spin your errors when you are called out on them.

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Fair enough.

But given that you try to justify your misstatement of facts when called to account for them, for instance alleging that "vice presidents" had been corrupt, when it was only one,  the 'strawman" comment is just another of your many cheap and false shots.

For a change, try not to spin your errors when you are called out on them.

Is that the best you've got? ????  

Let's wait until the full story comes out before assessing whether the plural or the singular should have been used. So far they have only scratched the surface of this sordid uncovering of EU corruption.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Is that the best you've got? ????  

Let's wait until the full story comes out before assessing whether the plural or the singular should have been used. So far they have only scratched the surface of this sordid uncovering of EU corruption.

Still defending your use of the plural? So, it's your position that until a claim is definitively disproved, it's evidence?

• Like 1