Best Options for Border Run

Eddie45

Flying at this time of the year is going to be much more expensive due to the holidays.

However, you have plenty of options, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos.   Fly out in the morning and fly back in the afternoon.   I would go to Laos, and fly Laos Air take a late afternoon flight 2-3pm and fly back early evening around 6-7pm cant recall exact times.  

If you're afraid of mini vans another option is to hire a private car and drive to the Cambodia boarder, find a friend to share the cost.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

I have got a UK Passport. When I arrive in Siem Reap will I get a 30 day waiver?

Unfortunately "no". You will have to obtain a Tourist Visa (30 days) on entry. Cost 30 US$. (Same for Phnom Penh).

As a UK passport holder, you will get 15 days free entry to Vietnam. 3 return flights with Air Asia from DMK to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) at 07:40, 15:40 and 19:25. Whatever you decide, the best of luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Unfortunately "no". You will have to obtain a Tourist Visa (30 days) on entry. Cost 30 US$. (Same for Phnom Penh).

As a UK passport holder, you will get 15 days free entry to Vietnam. 3 return flights with Air Asia from DMK to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) at 07:40, 15:40 and 19:25. Whatever you decide, the best of luck. 

Correct , it should be $30 ( 1040 baht ) in Cambodia but  recently both I an others have been hit with 1800 baht ( $51 ) at the Chong Chom border  . I remember 4 or 5 years ago they would impose a surcharge if you were on a same day exit and not staying overnight , as was my case recently , as I only go for day visits . 

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, dddave said:

Cambodia and Laos both have for many years charged more when paying for visas in Thai Baht rather than US$

US $ were never mentioned by them but I did and they said only 1800 Thai baht 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, superal said:

US $ were never mentioned by them but I did and they said only 1800 Thai baht 

Interesting, was this at a land border crossing? When entering by air, for a visa on arrival in Cambodia, Immigration demand 30 US$ which can be obtained from ATMs near the Immigration desks (Siem Reap and Phnom Penh). Personally, I have never been asked for 1,800 Thai baht on arrival by air but I believe there are dubious practices at the Poipet land border crossing involving so-called "agents".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of domestic flights daily to Udon Thani from Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang.

From Udon take a taxi (if you want to avoid a minivan 1h trip / ~60 km) to Nong Khai land border to Laos/Vientiane.

Easy and not as expensive as a flight to abroad.

E.g. a flight to Vientiane will be much more expensive.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, ericthai said:

On 12/21/2022 at 7:56 PM, ericthai said:

Flying at this time of the year is going to be much more expensive due to the holidays.

However, you have plenty of options, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Laos.   Fly out in the morning and fly back in the afternoon.   I would go to Laos, and fly Laos Air take a late afternoon flight 2-3pm and fly back early evening around 6-7pm cant recall exact times.  

If you're afraid of mini vans another option is to hire a private car and drive to the Cambodia boarder, find a friend to share the cost.

How much would a private car cost and how how long roughly would it take to drive to the border in Cambodia.

Edited by Eddie45

2 hours ago, Eddie45 said:

How much would a private car cost and how how long roughly would it take to drive to the border in Cambodia.

Last Time I rented a car in Thailand was over 15 yrs ago, cost back then was something like 500-600B a day for a little car.  From Pattaya to Ban Lam it takes about 4hrs. Do a search of car rental in Pattaya

• Like 1