If genuinely unable to leave the country by the specified date, how to avoid overstay implications?

What is the prescribed course of action when a person is genuinely unable to leave the country by the specified date? For example, a person may be sick and unfit to travel. How to avoid fines and an overstay stamp in the passport, which may prevent obtaining some visas in the future? What is the paperwork required? Anyone had an experience?

At (at least Chaeng Watthana) Immigration they have a doctor, who can approve extensions based on medical grounds. Normally applicant needs to get documentation from doctor/hospital, then visit immigration where doctor does a checkup and checks the documents and then approves or rejects paperwork.

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be office just after entrance to the room for 90 day reporting (to the left of exit from main hall), first door on the left.

I haven't done it myself but I was waiting for hours for 90 days report back in the days, standing right in front of that door, which was left open the whole time...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've read many times on this forum that if you're coming to the end of your visa and can't manage to exit the country in time, you can get a 7-day extension from immigration.

It's not an extension.

It is 7 days to get out of dodge.

Issued after an application that will be rejected. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not an extension.

It is 7 days to get out of dodge.

Issued after an application that will be rejected. 

Oh.   I thought you could get it after explaining why you needed additional time, which would be, well, an extension in my opinion.  Unsure of what the IO would call it.  Was also going by this:

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/visa-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-law/thailand-immigration-rules-thai-7-day-visa-extension-stamps/

15 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

To give a more realistic example: A person may have food poisoning for a couple of days (we're in Thailand, remember?). It's probably not enough for a medical extension, but it definitely makes them unfit to travel.

So you're planning to have an emergency? Hmm...

Look - there are other ways you can ask for extension of stay, or leave country and come back or alike. But depends on how much of an extension you are looking for? A few days? A few weeks? A few months? Years?

If you get poisoning you'll need a hospital to write that you are inpatient and unfit to travel. I know it's also possible to get a letter that you are not fit to travel (or rather get a rejection of it from medics at the airport) which could be used to apply for extension due to inability to travel if your permission to stay is running out. But that's only for a few days, and would have a fee of 1900 baht plus travel expenses, etc. so probably in 4-5k baht, all paperwork and travel included.

Is that worth it? What are you really trying to achieve?

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

Oh.   I thought you could get it after explaining why you needed additional time, which would be, well, an extension in my opinion.  Unsure of what the IO would call it.  Was also going by this:

It's not really relevant. Imagine if a person had a flight booked for the last day of his visa, but got sick and couldn't go anywhere. What papers from the doctor do they need to avoid overstay when they're finally well enough to leave, say in the next couple of days?

5 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

So you're planning to have an emergency? Hmm...

I just need to know what to do if the situation arises.

5 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Is that worth it? What are you really trying to achieve?

I'm talking about avoiding overstay implications, such as inability to get certain visas in the future.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I'm talking about avoiding overstay implications, such as inability to get certain visas in the future.

Short overstays not an issue .

Note PE (elite visa) are sensitive to overstays. 

BTW to your earlier post re medical issue.

It's a formal process to apply for extension based on medical reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

I just need to know what to do if the situation arises.

Most hospitals would know what paperwork needs to be issued in case of medical emergency for immigration. All you need to do is to ask the front desk and they'll arrange it. It needs to however be done before the permission of stay date runs out, not after. There of course can be several situations where simply cannot get on the plane.

One thing you must understand though is that the decision on whether to grant you extension and for how long is not up to your doctor but the doctor at the immigration. He won't just take paperwork but will do his own assessment. So if you just get some clinic to write some BS on documents and go to immigration to get extension, that could be, and likely will be, rejected.

But unless you're in a life threatening condition, don't expect such extension to be long.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Most hospitals would know what paperwork needs to be issued in case of medical emergency for immigration. All you need to do is to ask the front desk and they'll arrange it. It needs to however be done before the permission of stay date runs out, not after. There of course can be several situations where simply cannot get on the plane.

Does it work with outpatient treatment?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Does it work with outpatient treatment?

I wouldn't bet on it.

There are circumstances where someone isn't fit to fly but he doesn't need inpatient treatment. He may even be refused boarding at the airport, and in this case the whole story would be credible. 

If the medical extension is handled by a reputable hospital,  it might work. 

Of course,  immigration could always say just use a land border.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

So if you just get some clinic to write some BS on documents and go to immigration to get extension, that could be, and likely will be, rejected.

If he can go to the immigration for an extension, he can also get on a plane.

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

...It's not an extension. 

However bottom line is it gives you 7 days to exit Thailand.

It's granted after an application for extension (known to be rejected) is rejected and then the 7 day exit issued. 

Perhaps someone will post a pic . 

Here is the picture of the stamp for a refused extension.

image.png

• Thanks 1

It is simple. You (i) apply for and are granted an extension based on one of the valid reasons listed in the relevant regulations; or (ii) you apply for an extension without satisfying any of the valid reasons, and are given seven days to leave the country; or (iii) you are on overstay.

If you do not, one way or another, get your permission to stay extended before its expiry, no sob story (valid or not) will help you. You will get an overstay stamp. There are two exceptions. First. if leaving one day late at either of the Bangkok airports, you might not get an overstay stamp, and you will not be fined. Second, if your permission to stay expires on a day when immigration offices are closed, you can, without penalty, go on the first subsequent day they are open to apply for an extension. I think, if rejected, you would still get the seven days to leave the country without penalty.

EDIT: Maybe this suggests that, if prone to food poisoning and wishing to leave on the last possible day, you should try to arrange your visit so the last day is the first on a long weekend, with immigration closed for three or four days. Then, if the worst happens, you can visit immigration to get your seven days to leave the country when immigration reopens.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

To give a more realistic example: A person may have food poisoning for a couple of days (we're in Thailand, remember?). It's probably not enough for a medical extension, but it definitely makes them unfit to travel.

They will need have been treated at a hospital by a doctor.

What is the prescribed course of action when a person is genuinely unable to leave the country by the specified date? For example, a person may be sick and unfit to travel.

There is a process for medical reasons.  The sniffles and a headache don't count.   A doctor's letter confirming that the person is unfit for travel (it usually means being hospitalised) needs to be presented to immigration before attempting to leave the country.

The wild <deleted>es excuse doesn't exempt them from overstay rules, unless they're hospitalised or a doctor's letter confirms the inability to fly, Imodium is the answer to that and airports and planes have toilets these days.

17 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've read many times on this forum that if you're coming to the end of your visa and can't manage to exit the country in time, you can get a 7-day extension from immigration.

But what if you're can't get to immigration before the visa expires?

Someone needs to contact immigration on your behalf.  

What papers from the doctor do they need to avoid overstay when they're finally well enough to leave, say in the next couple of days?

The doctor who admits you to hospital will know what is needed.   Don't think that you can just ask any old doctor or clinic for a letter to wave at Immigration when you finally decide to leave "because you're sick", it doesn't work that way, it's designed for those who are genuinely medically incapacitated.

Seems to me the OP is searching for a "dodge" to avoid leaving as per immigration requirements.

If you have or suspect you will have an issue go talk to the immigration office for your location.

This topic is CLOSED.

• Like 2