Thais reading what in 2022

webfact

image.png

Thais do read and they read a lot according to data collected by Thailand Knowledge Park (TK Park), so let’s erase that old belief that Thais read just eight lines per year once and for all.

The TK Park library at CentralWorld has just revealed the news that its members have set a new record in books borrowed in 2022, both print and online, averaging 2,908 titles at any one time or over one million books in total.

Interestingly, all books have been borrowed at least once and the highest record was 1,644 times for one book. TK Park Online Library also boasts more than 16,000 e-books, magazines, and audiobooks, all in Thai from leading publishing houses. It’s great value too with members paying a fee of just 100-200 baht, meaning that it costs 2-4 baht to read one book if the member borrows 50 books a year. Given the economic hard times of today, that’s a real bargain and also exemplifies the circular economy. It’s friendly to the environment too.

Thais still read “a lot”

Although it seems that Thai people spend a great deal of time on social media, they do also read. The latest survey carried out by the National Statistics Office and TK Park revealed that Thais spend around 80 minutes per day reading, mostly electronically, online media that include e-books, e-magazines, articles from online platforms and websites.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thais-reading-what-in-2022/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-12-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

9 hours ago, webfact said:

so let’s erase that old belief that Thais read just eight lines per year once and for all

You'll need to provide a little more than the statistics from members of a library to do that.

"Thai people who are members of a library like to read a lot" does not mean much for Thailand overall.  What percentage of Thais are members of a library?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thai read? this is an oxymoron, yet to see a Thai person sits somewhere and reads other than their electronic equipment, and i have been here for long, long time now...

Years ago it used to be (the speech bubbles) in comic books. Nowadays probably more like posts on Twitter, FB, and Line...

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thai read? this is an oxymoron, yet to see a Thai person sits somewhere and reads other than their electronic equipment, and i have been here for long, long time now...

Impact had a book fair several years ago and we went during the week.  It was packed to the rafters.  What really surprised me was the number of people in the English books room with seemingly everyone buying multiple books.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, ezzra said:

This highlights the social class of the Thais you hang out with. 

Go down the RBSC and you'll see many reading, there's even a reading room there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lujanit said:

Impact had a book fair several years ago and we went during the week.  It was packed to the rafters.  What really surprised me was the number of people in the English books room with seemingly everyone buying multiple books.

Shouldn't come to any surprise for some that numerous book fairs are packed in attendance - an example might be the annual [week long] Bangkok Book Fair sponsors by PUBAT, in which a wide variety of Thai publishers are promoting their wares and the daily crowds are wall-to-wall. Suspending the stereotypical ideals of Thais and their reading proclivities. 

I suspect that most outside observers have extremely limited exposure and experience as such applies to the generalizations regarding Thais acuity of reading whatever. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I think you could forget the Thai here, all people. 

Whataboutism.

This highlights the social class of the Thais you hang out with. 

Ad-hom.

Go down the RBSC and you'll see many reading, there's even a reading room there. 

What is RBSC?  Royal Bangkok Sports Club comes up when I Google the initialism with "Thailand".

What would that even prove?  That a few very wealthy high-class Thai people read?  That actually supports the comment you are trying to disagree with, rather than disputing it.

When people generalise about "Thai people", they aren't thinking of the hiso minority.  Hence they are always labelled as such when they are the topic of discussion.

Although I don't believe a single word of these "facts", I have to admit that there used to be one very old, rather Chinese looking, woman in our village who sat out side everyday reading a paperback. Don't know the language, but it was endearing to see somebody reading. Unfortunately, she has passed away, but I did enjoy seeing her sit at the front of her house.

I used to be an avid reader in my younger days, but for the life of me I don't know why I lost interest in reading as I got older. Time restraints, perhaps? 

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Which country was it in?

Thailand. Why, what difference does that make? I live in Thailand, but read in English and German only. My partner, who also lives here, is Thai and she reads in Thai and English. My partner's brother in law is Thai, but he only reads English language literature. 

• Like 1