Brokerage Firm for Stocks and IRA's American; Schwab wants to disown me for being Expat.

Recieved this email last night. Now where do I put my ROTH, IRA, Regular stock account, and my checking? Oh yes, my retirement and SSA go to the checking at SCHWAB. I kept an address in Florida at my BIL but I'm guessing that's not good enough.

Interactive Brokers is the only other one I know that serves expats 

We recently noticed international activity in your Schwab Bank account(s) shown below, which may indicate you reside outside the U.S. Schwab Bank requires clients to maintain a U.S. address (no P.O. boxes) as their primary residence. We're writing to request that you confirm your address with us. If we do not receive confirmation, we will need to close your account(s).  1
Your next steps.
Please confirm your primary residence within 60 days in one of the following ways:
We need to receive confirmation of your primary residence by February 27, 2023. If we do not receive confirmation as requested, your account(s) will be closed. You'll receive a notification if your account(s) is closed.
If any assets remain in your account(s) at the time of closure, Schwab Bank will either transfer the assets to a Schwab Bank or Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. account with like registration, if available, or mail a check for the entire account balance(s) to the address on record for your account(s).

-   Please be aware that, if applicable, Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking ®  and Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Savings ®  accounts, Schwab Bank Bill Pay TM , debit cards, and associated Schwab Bank products will also be closed or discontinued as a part of this process.
  • Thanks 2

Did you call Schwab?

they have this page promoting their international accounts:

https://international.schwab.com/expatriate-essentials

I called and spoke to a "Customer Service" guy at Schwab and he was not real helpful, but he indicated that I would have to have an international account if I lived the majority of the year in Thailand.

He didn't seem interested in providing any information other than the most basic info.

I am gonna call back during the day and see if I can talk to someone more helpful.

I am curious about any differences in the two types of accounts.

Edited by cdemundo
added results of phone call
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

This must be a new thing as I lived for 15 years in Thailand and withdrew money through an ATM in Thailand twice a month with my Schwab debt card and nary a word was ever said.  I used a PO Box as my mailing address the entire time.  I had both a brokerage account and a checking account and it was not an international account.

That was what I was hoping to do.

I have a mailing address in the US.

I wonder what the transactions were that flagged the OPs account.

• Like 1

You could try Fidelity.

If they somehow realize you reside outside the USA, your account is restricted such that you cannot purchase mutual funds.

You've got a US address and phone for the application.  They should be able to handle transferring your entire portfolio from Schwab, including your IRA with no tax worries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

You could try Fidelity.

If they somehow realize you reside outside the USA, your account is restricted such that you cannot purchase mutual funds.

You've got a US address and phone for the application.  They should be able to handle transferring your entire portfolio from Schwab, including your IRA with no tax worries.

He could.

It would be a challenge to open from Thailand and I wouldn't assume continuation of any policies you may have heard about Fidelity in the past.

I'm with Fidelity. They were aggressively investigating me for years because of Thailand logins, but they dropped bugging me after I started only logging in from the US directly with TeamViewer (not a VPN).

It might be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. 

I'm hanging on with Fidelity because they are good and I've been with them since I was 20. I was disgusted when they starting hassling me. It seemed unethical to treat such long term customers that way.

But I would have the most confidence in Interactive Brokers long term to be actually expat friendly.

Edited by Jingthing

18 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

It is doubtful that my 35 year history with Schwab would prevent them from taking action if they became aware of my relocation to Thailand.

Yep, I've been with them for 27 years. I expect they 'caught' me because they looked at my withdrawals over the last 20 months or so and all of them were from Thailand. Maybe just bad luck, a new program analytic, or noticed I'd also sent two wires to a Thai bank in the last year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gargamon said:

I've wondered for years when schwab would catch on to the freeloaders. Looks like it's finally beginning. 

Nope, not freeloading here. Between plenty and way too much at Schwab. They close my account two serious problems. First it puts me in a much higher tax bracket, Second Medicare goes way higher, and third is no where to place the money. I'd have to have it wired to a Thai bank.

2 minutes ago, gargamon said:

What does paying federal taxes have to do with using a Schwab account to get something free?

Explain yourself. What exactly is a man living in Thailand getting for free and a man living in USA paying for.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

You have a US address. Do you pay tax in that state, or Fed Tax? Then just tell them that address is your residents. By law, I think, you are supposed to be in the States most (more than half) the time, but they don't really check on that. Owning property, receiving official mail at that address is prove enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Explain yourself. What exactly is a man living in Thailand getting for free and a man living in USA paying for.

Many people living overseas use the Schwab ATM card as a cheap way to get money from the US. Obviously people living in the US have little need to avoid foreign transaction fees. The issue is the expats that keep a Schwab account to avail themselves of the freebies and have no investments there. Schwab likely determined that the easiest way to minimize their costs was to just get rid of all people living overseas, some of which may have significant investments there.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, araiwaja said:

IB never required 100k to open an account. They did require an account total value of at least 100k to avoid a monthly fee, but that has also been removed. There are no minimums now and no monthly/inactivity fees. 

I obviously misremembered. Good news. They do target more advanced investors.

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He could.

It would be a challenge to open from Thailand and I wouldn't assume continuation of any policies you may have heard about Fidelity in the past.

I'm with Fidelity. They were aggressively investigating me for years because of Thailand logins, but they dropped bugging me after I started only logging in from the US directly with TeamViewer (not a VPN).

It might be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. 

I'm hanging on with Fidelity because they are good and I've been with them since I was 20. I was disgusted when they starting hassling me. It seemed unethical to treat such long term customers that way.

But I would have the most confidence in Interactive Brokers long term to be actually expat friendly.

Before you started using TeanViewer, what was it that tipped them off that you were outside of the United States?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

With or wiithout a VPN?

Without but be clear they know where you are even with a VPN. Financial institutions have tools.

Banks etc are blocking people all the time that are using VPNs.

VPNs are only good to shield your activity from your IP and accessing geo restricted websites.

Probably over 90 percent of people paying for VPNs don't need them. They are oversold.

Even logging in an a public wireless network doesn't need a VPN as things like banking are already encrypted.

But banks are a higher level of surveillance.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1