Overstay stamp in passport

On my last visit I accidentally overstayed by one day.

It seemed no big deal – at exit I was asked to report to desk #1 and the IO stamped my passport and then called over his supervisor to sign it off – I was not fined or given any verbal warnings.

I’m hoping that this will not cause any problems as I think this is a common mistake - when I bought my flights I thought my arrival was day “0” whereas it is day “1” for immigration purposes. But I’m curious to get a translation of the lower stamp - can anyone help?

Cheers.

Overstay.jpg

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Thanks scubascuba - I also noticed that it was not red and so was not too concerned.

Is Google Lens a character recognition app? That would be very handy.

It's google translate , download in play store , free .

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

When I bought the phone, Google lens was already there. When you open an image in your gallery, you should see Google lens option

I'm surprised they would put that stamp in for 1 day over. Did you upset the guy somehow?

Just for information, while there is no penalty on returning to Thailand, such a stamp could sway a decision maker in some country's embassies to reject a visa application.

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

On an android phone open a pic of text in the gallery.

Hit the share icon - - translate.

Lens is way more useful. It's more accurate and can also be used to do live translation using the camera, eg. for translating a menu that's in Thai only. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I'm surprised they would put that stamp in for 1 day over.

I thought they always stamped it but waived the fine for just one day?

5 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Along with the info already given, if you have a Samsung phone there is Bixby (basically the same as Lens), or if you are using Chrome on PC:

right click image > search image with google > select "Translate" at the bottom of the image in the panel that opens.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Along with the info already given, if you have a Samsung phone there is Bixby (basically the same as Lens), or if you are using Chrome on PC:

right click image > search image with google > select "Translate" at the bottom of the image in the panel that opens.

Correct always stamped as I had it done in 2004, then again in my new passport in 2010. 1 day overstay as I miscalculated my 30 days like the OP did when I was doing the fly out fly in and never paid attention to the until date as I was always on my US time.

Never had it affect anything including moving onto extension of stays.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

You are probably right. I've never overstayed in Thailand (or anywhere), so am unaware of their procedures. I wasn't disputing, just a little surprised they would waste time and effort to place a meaningless stamp in a document.

I do know in Australia you wouldn't get such a stamp, although an overstay automatically generates a referral in the computers.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I wasn't disputing, just a little surprised they would waste time and effort to place a meaningless stamp in a document.

I wasn't either 555 having never overstayed I wasn't 100% sure, just based on the reports I'd read.

Does seem a bit pointless but if audited (I'll wait for you to finish laughing before I continue) I suppose there would be a record that the IO had done his job.

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

1 day overstay as I miscalculated my 30 days like tge OP did when I was doing the fly out fly in and never paid attention to the until date

This I can't understand. The arrival stamp clearly states the date your stay ends. See the OP. Why wouldn't you pay attention by casting a glance at your passport?

I don't see how it's possible to accidently miss the day or miscalculate a stay.

I can understand such things as flight delays, awkward scheduling or simply not caring because of nil consequences.

38 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I do know in Australia you wouldn't get such a stamp, although an overstay automatically generates a referral in the computers.

What's the difference?  They both indicate to Immigration that there was an overstay and they both get entries on Immigration's database.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

This I can't understand. The arrival stamp clearly states the date your stay ends. See the OP. Why wouldn't you pay attention by casting a glance at your passport?

I don't see how it's possible to accidently miss the day or miscalculate a stay.

I can understand such things as flight delays, awkward scheduling or simply not caring because of nil consequences.

I never paid any attention back then to the calendar as I always used my watch for the date and rarely had a cellular phone.  I never changed the time when I would come here for a business trip or a quick visit to see family, and as I said my US date was always the day before it was here, especially when you fly out at 5am here.  Does seem to be a PITA to be flagged as overstaying when you arrived at 11pm on one day and then 31 days later you flew out at 5am.  To me I was always on the end of my 30th day when I left, but Thai immigration saw it as the beginning of day 31 and therefore an overstay.  After the 2nd time in 2010, I starting using tourist Visas instead and was always safe as well as changing my time zone on the watch.  When your dealing with the US if I were to call when my watch said 4 pm I would always connect during business hours.  Once I changed my watch I forgot about the time difference and woke up a co-worker at 2 am.......oops.   Took me a few months after I moved here pretty much permanently to remember the big time difference when I wanted to call someone.

So basically, even when the other side of the international date line, you still use the date in the US!

Do you not buy return tickets for the allowable time? I work out my return date at that stage.

To travel you really need to understand and adjust to time differences. Not so hard for me when in SEA as most countries there have the same time as my home State. Thailand is 1 hr. out. 

Doesn't the US have something like 6 separate time zones? You could still wake someone up on the other side of the country without leaving her shores.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

So basically, even when the other side of the international date line, you still use the date in the US!

Do you not buy return tickets for the allowable time? I work out my return date at that stage.

To travel you really need to understand and adjust to time differences. Not so hard for me when in SEA as most countries there have the same time as my home State. Thailand is 1 hr. out. 

Doesn't the US have something like 6 separate time zones? You could still wake someone up on the other side of the country without leaving her shores.

Back then the only time zone I dealt with was the Pacific time zone, which was either 14 hours behind or 15 hours behind depending on the annual Daylight savings time.  My return tickets were always 30 days from start to finish back then, but when you fly to Thailand from the US the day you arrive is 15 hours later then the US Time and therefore my 19 hour flight from LAX to BKK was actually a 33 or 34 hour flight and I would arrive the day after I left, but when Flying back to the US from BKK I would land the same day I left BKK and in actuality only 6 or 7 hours after leaving BKK based upon the layover.  To be honest 30 days is 30 days in my view, but Thailand does not see it that way.

Yes you could theoretically wake someone up if you called Hawaii from New York at 9 am or even California as California is 3 hours behind New York and Hawaii is 5 hours or 6 hours depending on the Daylight Savings time.  If your in the US you know these things but you tend to forget the time differences when you travel unless you actually sit down and think about it.  My dad would wake up at 6 am in California and call me here in Thailand in the late evening hours, yet if he tried to call me at noon his time he invariably would wake me up at 2 or 3 AM.

It is an easy mistake for people who don't remember to account for the Time differences when Traveling and was why I kept my watch on the US time zone, and why I caused an issue with the airport.  Once I actually went to the airport at 10pm for my flight according to my watch only to realize it was daylight out and my flight was not for another 15 hours.........that was the last time I kept my watch set to US Time.

9 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Because I bought my flights before I got the stamps in my passport - obviously!