Walking St Discos on New Years Eve 31st December - have they been all traditionally packed out big time in the past?

bbi1

Discos? Are we in the 70's  is John Travolta doing a new Saturday Night Live version.

I take it you meant Clubs. My experience last year was all of walking street was packed even with the Covid issues.

Sorry I forgot Lucifers is a Disco my bad.

Edited by ThailandRyan

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Discos? Are we in the 70's  is John Travolta doing a new Saturday Night Live version.

I take it you meant Clubs. My experience last year was all of walking street was packed even with the Covid issues.

Sorry I forgot Lucifers is a Disco my bad.

That's what Thais call them. Yes, I mean nightclubs. Wonder if the cops will stick with their crazy 2am shutdown tomorrow or will they be a bit more relaxed and have some holiday spirit.

It was a long time ago but I went into a GGB to get away from all the crowds trying to get to the pier for the fireworks.... I would expect most people to be outside around midnight rather than inside..... 

For me, I was getting nowhere and feeling very worried by the danger and crush around me and decided  'hell I saw plenty fireworks in November'.... the New Year came in without a mention in Mistys!

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Walking St Discos on New Years Eve 31st December - have they been all traditionally packed out big time in the past? Way more than any other normal day?

What do you think?

Are most places normally busier at this time of year?

I went out last night everyplace was insanely packed, I yelled to my friend, who's lived here for many years, "if it's this crazy tonight, just think what tomorrow night's going to be like!" but he couldn't hear me because of all the loud music blaring. Tonight will probably go down as one of the busiest, craziest, most jammed pack New Years Eve ever. 

2 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I went out last night everyplace was insanely packed, I yelled to my friend, who's lived here for many years, "if it's this crazy tonight, just think what tomorrow night's going to be like!" but he couldn't hear me because of all the loud music blaring. Tonight will probably go down as one of the busiest, craziest, most jammed pack New Years Eve ever. 

Let us hope it all goes off without incident and can be reported as everyone had a good time. 

I wonder if there are Chinese tourists packing the place. I would probably avoid that as the spike in china covid is huge right now and they are not quarantining at the airport.

It’s not really something you have to do to enjoy the holiday. There are outdoor venues around.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I wonder if there are Chinese tourists packing the place. I would probably avoid that as the spike in china covid is huge right now and they are not quarantining at the airport.

It’s not really something you have to do to enjoy the holiday. There are outdoor venues around.

The Chinese tourists are not expected to start coming in numbers until after the 1st week of January....

China said on Monday it will lift its quarantine requirement for inbound travellers starting from 8 January. It will also resume issuing visas for residents to travel overseas.

Edited by jacko45k

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Have you ever been in a bar in Pattaya packed with Chinese?

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, I ended up going to Pattaya Beach to watch the fireworks. Just slightly off topic I moseyed through Soi 6 and looked at A LOT of bar girls. Man, all I see them do is eat and yell and most are fat. Then I go down to the beach and that crowd had hardly any fat girls..of course the girls were mostly with their husbands or boyfriends but them girls were so nice to look at after walking down the Soi I'll never walk down again. The firework show was fantastic, the best one I've ever seen..I really enjoyed the fire lamps, amazed nobody got torched. All in all it was a good time. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Have you ever been in a bar in Pattaya packed with Chinese?

Yes... I was in a GGB once and a tour group came on, like 20 or more... A server asked me to shuffle down into the corner so they could all sit together and I told her it wasn't happening! They surrounded me and smoked horrid smelling cigarettes and drove me out! I bet the place was empty after that group had their one drink and left. 

I expect it was packed in town last night, even afternoon traffic was bad. 

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes... I was in a GGB once and a tour group came on, like 20 or more... A server asked me to shuffle down into the corner so they could all sit together and I told her it wasn't happening! They surrounded me and smoked horrid smelling cigarettes and drove me out! I bet the place was empty after that group had their one drink and left. 

I expect it was packed in town last night, even afternoon traffic was bad. 

Would be a first for me. Japanese and Koreans but never Chinese 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

They used to go into the old Lido show bar too on Walking St.... 

Japanese and Korean are more independent tourists surely.  

1 minute ago, bang saen guy said:

Trying to remember the Lido Show Bar. I've certainly been around long enough. Recall Lido Hotel on Beach Road

I may have the name wrong.... roughly opposite of the original Peppermint. Had shows.

Edited by jacko45k

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I may have the name wrong.... roughly opposite of the original Peppermint. Had shows.

I remember a show bar upstairs a few doors north of Peppermint but not the name. Maybe where the short lived Hollywood was.  Mid 80s maybe.Had my coffee. Brain is coming to life

Edited by bang saen guy

On 1/1/2023 at 9:43 AM, Furioso said:

Welp, I ended up going to Pattaya Beach to watch the fireworks. Just slightly off topic I moseyed through Soi 6 and looked at A LOT of bar girls. Man, all I see them do is eat and yell and most are fat. Then I go down to the beach and that crowd had hardly any fat girls..of course the girls were mostly with their husbands or boyfriends but them girls were so nice to look at after walking down the Soi I'll never walk down again. The firework show was fantastic, the best one I've ever seen..I really enjoyed the fire lamps, amazed nobody got torched. All in all it was a good time. 

Times changed then. It used to be packed with DDG bar girls, and not a fattie among them.

On 1/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, bang saen guy said:

Probably part of the package experience.

I remember in Singapore hearing a tourist saying his package tour included a visit to Bugis Street and thinking "there goes the neighbourhood". Probably same for Chinese tour groups in Pattaya- included a visit to a naughty girl show. One suspects the gogo will regret allowing it.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:26 AM, Furioso said:

Oddly, I thought the 30th was packed and then the 31st wasn't I was in one walking street gogo bar and was the only customer at 9:30. Before that Pinup wasn't full either. Seemed to be a lot of Indians and Thais in the streets, not many farangs. The beach was packed.