Marriage extension - when to renew

25 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

My marriage extension expires at the end of the month. Can I go to immigration to renew it any date before it expires, or do I have to start the application some time before expiry?

Although you could re-new it the same day as it expires, not a good idea if you have not got all paperwork correct, better to go a month before if you can.

copy2.jpg.bf835d69ca78789c5775e40a2ee32b26.jpg

this year I'm applying only 11 days before, because of various reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of us here on the forum would go it at least 30 days prior to renewing.

Last year I went in on the 21st December, my extension expires 31 January this year, no issues, going back 1 March to get my stamp in my passport, that said will go in on the 2nd because last year on 1 March when they told me to come in on that date, they didn't have the approval and I had to go back the following day as they rang me when I got home an hour 30 minutes later.

I like to get things out of the way, no last minute f ups and I have to say, this year was one of the smoothest with the paperwork, other times had to go back because of that new ruling that seems to appear every 2 or 3 years at my immigration office requiring additional documents, even though I carry everything with me, sometimes, they throw a curly one outside of what I can provide them with on the spot.

Edited by 4MyEgo

10 minutes ago, Bangla monk said:

Are there any changes coming or new rules for non-o, extension, based on marriage? 

Someone was talking about it. Does anyone heard anything official ...

No changes have been done as far a I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

I think thats the maximum, Im interested in the minimum. Can I go to immigration to renew the day before expiry?

If you go 30 days early then if there is a problem you have 30 days to fix it in.

If you go on the day or the day before and you have a problem, then you have 2 problems, especially if the last day is a Friday or the day before a public holiday.

You can go at any time within the IO limit and you extension will still be dated 12 months from the date of expiry.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can apply up to 45 days early at some Immigration Offices (IO) like Bangkok/CW; up to 30 days at other IOs.  When I was doing marriage extension of stays (for the last 3 years) I always applied 40 to 45 days early at the Bangkok/CW IO.  You don't lose any time off your current or new extension by applying early assuming your last extension was also a marriage extension.   I would never have dreamed of applying on the last day before expiration.

Recommendation: Don't wait till the last day because one or all of Murphy's three laws may bite you.

What are Murphy's three laws?
Murphy's First Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Murphy's Second Law: Nothing is as easy as it looks. Murphy's Third Law: Everything takes longer than you think it will.
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Bangla monk said:

Are there any changes coming or new rules for non-o, extension, based on marriage? 

Someone was talking about it. Does anyone heard anything official ...

No and No, but I'm going 9/01/23, If anything has changed I will winge about it on here, for days. :cheesy::cheesy: and days :cheesy::cheesy: and applying with a new passport. (already registered):jap: have mercy on my soul ????

• Thumbs Up 1