In small village where I'm staying pot is taboo?

Elkski

I just thought the legalization was received better than I've observed in this small Isaan village.  Are other villages like this?  So much money is spent on Leo when earningscare so low it seems like pot would be a lower cost drug to use for these people.  I guess like  old people they either use it or are against it's use.  And the older peoples opinions are respected in the villages

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I just thought the legalization was received better than I've observed in this small Isaan village.  Are other villages like this?  So much money is spent on Leo when earningscare so low it seems like pot would be a lower cost drug to use for these people.  I guess like  old people they either use it or are against it's use.  And the older peoples opinions are respected in the villages

Looks as though you've just been unlucky,  plenty growing in my small village!

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

Frowned upon in many villages .... I know several friends who's hometown parents don't speak about growing cannibas and no one in town grows it. Drugs are dangerous and addicts are everywhere in Thailand.

Yes this village has had trouble with yiung kids and drugs.  But then the old ladies being Bettlenut baskets everywhere and use it first thing in the morning and spit that <deleted> everywhere.  And Lau khau by 8 am or some Leo or both seems AOK to these same old folks. My biggest issue living in a village is just the trash everywhere.  Have a kid some candy and in front of his parents he gleefully ran 5 meters to toss it into the wind.  Young to old they are pigs.  I know a generalization as I've met and seen some who keep nice clean yards in Thailand. It the school's dedicated 10% of the time spent teaching singing to learning about litter and plastic and recycling it would be a big improvement.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm guessing it would be fine, until you get into a disagreement with one of the villagers and then they'll be calling the cops on you.

Now I know it's legal, but this is Thailand so expect different "interpretations" of the law, lots of misunderstandings and a load of hassle if an opportunity to extort a foreigner opens up.

I don't know how much land you have, but I'd pick a quiet corner as far away from people as possible and where nobody else goes (maybe hidden by some brush/weeds/grass) if you wish to grow it. That's what I plan to do.

My Kratom is out in the open though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm guessing it would be fine, until you get into a disagreement with one of the villagers and then they'll be calling the cops on you.

Now I know it's legal, but this is Thailand so expect different "interpretations" of the law, lots of misunderstandings and a load of hassle if an opportunity to extort a foreigner opens up.

I don't know how much land you have, but I'd pick a quiet corner as far away from people as possible and where nobody else goes (maybe hidden by some brush/weeds/grass) if you wish to grow it. That's what I plan to do.

My Kratom is out in the open though.

Any thoughts on United recently? Or too 'relaxed' to post?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's the ultimate "cash crop". A lot of folk , particularly older ones aren't too happy that it is so prevalent. I smoked for 30 years before giving it up 20 years ago. Fed up of being monged and lazy and a hacking cough. I used to get nervous as well if my stash was going low. Don't miss it at all but have a puff once in a blue moon and think nah don't want to go back there. Stoners always seem to have great plans that are going to start tomorrow which of course never comes.

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, steven100 said:

Frowned upon in many villages .... I know several friends who's hometown parents don't speak about growing cannibas and no one in town grows it. Drugs are dangerous and addicts are everywhere in Thailand.

Maybe they know what you are like and avoid mentioning it in your presence. I can well imagine you lecturing them.    Oh by the way Cannabis is neither dangerous or addictive.  Its  high time you educated yourself about this, especially now !

There are more alcoholics in Thailand particularly amongst the expat community. Do your friends parents ever talk about that?  nah thought not

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I discovered the cure for cancer and gave up reggae music which seemed to be part of the rasta dope head scene. Plus I'm married and my wife takes a dim view of drug taking so it's no longer fun. Considering when she spends a few days in Bangkok in the next week of so of buying a couple of joints and having a sesh on my own to see if I can get the old magic back hopefully with no paranoia which was another reason I canned it in the end. The voices in my head....

I caveat this by stating I know very little apart from my own experiments over last 6 months.

It was rolled out without education on the topic unfortunately, my kids teacher told all the kids its a bad plant <deleted>.

6 plant household limit, pests, nutrients, ph, too much sun, too much water can all impact survival rate.

Out the ones that survive half will be male or hermie, more if outdoor.  A lot of seeds they pick up likely the same source so lower yields and quality.

6 plants whilst households learn and experiment is very low.

Then you have a long duration on many Thai strains. I have what looks like Thai squirrel on my balcony, 6 months and no sign of flower either male or female. I even tried to flip it with controlled darkness, someone mentioned as long as 18 months.

On top of that each strain has different medical use so many growers have no idea what strain they have or its medical value.

Not to mention drying and curing.

Unless they have knowledge or a community group supporting them almost none of what they grow would be sellable.

Educate them, give them decent strain auto's to practice with.

10 minutes ago, Bangel72 said:

6 plants whilst households learn and experiment is very low.

Current limit is 20 plants.

Thai strains are very slow, I've had 2 crops of Euro seeds before my 1 Thai planting is finished. I won't be planting Thai seeds again.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, stoner said:

you don't see the irony police growing cannabis when it is illegal. keep on keeping on then. 

Maybe you forgetting it was made legal for medical use 2 years earlier so a lot of growing going on way before last year……nothing to worry or be concerned about 

3 hours ago, taninthai said:

Maybe you forgetting it was made legal for medical use 2 years earlier so a lot of growing going on way before last year……nothing to worry or be concerned about 

no i didn't forget. it would also of been illegal for them to be growing it 2 years ago as well. unless he was part of a sanctioned university research project. 

also the cannabis grown in the 2 years leading up to legalization was cbd. 

but im sure he knew the difference. 

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

no i didn't forget. it would also of been illegal for them to be growing it 2 years ago as well. unless he was part of a sanctioned university research project. 

Yes and it would have also been illegal to smoke it then but we all still did …..as said nothing to be worried or concerned about????????????.

1 minute ago, taninthai said:

Yes and it would have also been illegal to smoke it then but we all still did …..as said nothing to be worried or concerned about????????????.

i dont know about you but i only started smoking cannabis in thailand in july 2022. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, stoner said:

you don't see the irony police growing cannabis when it is illegal. keep on keeping on then. 

Its Thailand , I don't see the Irony of anything the police do, You should not apply "western logic" especially were the police are concerned.   Could you please explain what you mean by "keep on keeping on"  

13 hours ago, taninthai said:

I can assure you he was not growing it for "medical" use. but as you said nothing to see here.

10 hours ago, stoner said:

I think its safe to say that the vast majority of cannabis grown in Thailand since time immemorial has had nothing to do with "cbd" 

• Thumbs Up 1