First retirement application.

A visa agent in Pattaya is processing a first retirement visa application for me and told me it would be for fifteen months, three for the initial non-imm O plus the twelve month extension for retirement. Last week we submitted all the forms to the immigration office including my passport. The agent said that my passport would be returned in a week, presumably with the non-imm O approved and an “under consideration stamp” for the retirement. This was my understanding of the procedure from the experience of others. However, today the agent is saying that it will be sixty days before my passport is returned with the fifteen months total and in the meantime the copy of my passort which I have shows my tourist visa expiring on 25th January.

Would appreciate any advice.

10 minutes ago, n00dle said:

using an agent in Bangkok I had my passport back in 2 weeks. I wouldn't hand over my passport to anyone for 2 months.

I used an agent in Bangkok for initial retirement extension and the agent sent my passport back in 3 days. Not sure what's going on with an agent keeping a passport for 60 days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rohitsuk said:

. Last week we submitted all the forms to the immigration office including my passport.

You state "WE submitted all the forms"

Are you providing funds in Thai bank account in your name? 

In any event your situation is find. 

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

I used an agent in Bangkok for initial retirement extension and the agent sent my passport back in 3 days. Not sure what's going on with an agent keeping a passport for 60 days

DIY and get it back in 10 minutes is preferable I think

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where can you do it yourself in 10 minutes....

I can do retirement extensions in Jomtien in about that time as far as time at the desk but I need to go in the next day to pick up my passport.

This case is about two applications. Conversion to O plus the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

Well IMHO it isn't the agent hanging onto the passport, as he collects his money upfront, but rather some bent IO, who keeps hostages until all his conditions are met.

Edited by Boomer6969

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Mentioning it once is harping on about it?

Had zero to do with OP question which I have covered already. 

Every time someone posts a question re agents the head bangers come into play. 

Edited by DrJack54

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I can do retirement extensions in Jomtien in about that time as far as time at the desk but I need to go in the next day to pick up my passport.

This case is about two applications. Conversion to O plus the extension.

Ergo my comment being relevant based upon what you posted and i quoted you on. No way could you be in and out in 10 minutes doing it yourself by applying for both the Non imm O and the extension and getting your PP back with all in it. The post I responded to was a troll post.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Had zero to do with OP question which I have covered already. 

Every time someone posts a question re agents the head bangers come into play. 

You just can't stand people with opposing opinions on agents can you so denigrate them as 'head bangers'.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

You just can't stand people with opposing opinions on agents can you so denigrate them as 'head bangers'.

Perhaps if I explain it simply.

The OP starts a thread.

The gist is that he used an agent and has concerns about the length of time the process is taking. 

It seems (by his answer) that he provided his own funds, which doesn't really matter but does explain the timeline. 

I have advised him as such regarding his situation. 

Any comments about DIY is better etc has zero to do with the thread.

Many crusaders on AseanNow.