Wise Transfers - Docs for marriage visa extension

Hi Guys,

I know this has been discussed a lot before, but the last post I found was from 2020

Im about to doing marriage ext. renewal, based on income. In the last year my money has all come via wise, to my SCB account and it shows as a domestic transfer from Kasikorn bank, 

The last post about this, it was said to print the PDF's from wise for the transfers, but surely this is easy for IO to reject, as even the statements I get from SCB have to have the SCB stamp on every page, which obviously the wise PDF's dont have

What is the current situation with the docs required for this?

Also, what is the bank guarantee document - I have forgotten what this is

Edited by youngster30uk
was incomplete

9 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Im about to doing marriage ext. renewal, based on income. In the last year my money has all come via wise, to my SCB account and it shows as a domestic transfer from Kasikorn bank, 

That's confusing.

I do the marriage extension and put in a lump sum to SCB every year, never a problem with IO

EDIT. It comes from my Wise account to my SCB account.

The letter I also obtain once a year showing the funds have been there for 3 months prior to the renewal.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

That's confusing.

I do the marriage extension and put in a lump sum to SCB every year, never a problem with IO

So you are using the 400k in the bank method, I use the income method where I have to show a minimum of 40k baht from an overseas transfer each month

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

In the case of foreign husband having any other income (not working in Thailand) such as pension, social welfare etc.

– Letter from the applicant’s Embassy in Bangkok verified his monthly pension or other income not less than 40,000 baht

Any other relevant documents such as Copy of House lease agreement, Identification and household registration of owner with certified signature

Family photos of applicant with Thai wife and child/children (all 4 photos) (2 photos taken in front of a house number, 2 photos taken in a house), Location Map

Application fee is 1,900 Baht

Any other relevant documents which may be required for consideration.

1) Applicant and spouse must contact in person for an interview

2)  The originals of required documents must be presented to the officer and photocopied with certified signature by the applicant

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/visa-extension/#1610937437663-90b1feab-b48a

25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

EDIT. It comes from my Wise account to my SCB account.

The letter I also obtain once a year showing the funds have been there for 3 months prior to the renewal.

reply to your edit. I am using the Income based method, you are using a different method than I am 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

reply to your edit. I am using the Income based method, you are using a different method than I am 

Someone should come along soon and provide you with what your looking for.

59 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

Also, what is the bank guarantee document - I have forgotten what this is

Your bank will best advise.

They can give you a "credit advice" that will show what is required.

I have seen the doc Bangkok Bank provides. 

Will try and find it and post.

The "bank letter" is simply a statement that contains balance on day you request it and more importantly states that you are the owner of the account.

The bank will know what you need for immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your bank will best advise.

They can give you a "credit advice" that will show what is required.

I have seen the doc Bangkok Bank provides. 

Will try and find it and post.

The "bank letter" is simply a statement that contains balance on day you request it and more importantly states that you are the owner of the account.

The bank will know what you need for immigration. 

I read about the credit advice. But wouldnt I need to go to the originating bank for that (kasikorn), as surely all my bank (scb) would know is that they have received money from Kasikorn?

5 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I read about the credit advice. But wouldnt I need to go to the originating bank for that (kasikorn), as surely all my bank (scb) would know is that they have received money from Kasikorn?

Pretty sure you go to your own bank. 

Here is an advice I was referring to printed by someone's bank (not mine) and that satisfied immigration. 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=776216 

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You only need to prove the monthly tramsfers by showing a one year bank statement that shows the funds came from abroad and a letter from the bank confirming your account is valid.

The bank statement dont show that, it just shows as a receipt from Kasikorn as they were the intermediary for wise

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Pretty sure you go to your own bank. 

Here is an advice I was referring to printed by someone's bank (not mine) and that satisfied immigration. 

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=776216 566.09 kB · 19 downloads  

Could be wrong, but I think Bangkok Bank receive it directly, so they have this info. My bank only have recieved from Kasikorn. so I dont see how they can get this info

13 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

The bank statement dont show that, it just shows as a receipt from Kasikorn as they were the intermediary for wise

You will need will need proof from the bank that sent the funds. 

Hello, I do the monthly transfer of 65,000 baht for a Retirement extension.  I transfer from my bank via Wise to my Kasikorn Bank acct.  I also have a pension document that I have printed out.  I copy the Wise PDF and highlight my bank account info and the Kasikorn acct information listed on the Wise transfer.  It shows the amount transferred and what amount the conversion was on that date.

I also copy my monthly bank statements from the US and highlight the Wise Transfer showing the amount transferred, the date and that the money was transferred to Wise.  

Now, I have 3 documents showing that I have at least 65,000 coming to me in a pension.  I have a Wise PDF Transfer showing my bank name and the bank the money was transferred to in Thailand (Kasikorn) and I have my personal US account showing the Wise transfer on my monthly statement.  

No need for photos as it is not a marriage extension.  No need for 400K or 800K in the Thai Bank.  Pretty simple so far.  I print these things out as I transfer the money and at the end of the month I print out my personal bank account document.  I get a Bank Statement from Kasikorn for the year.  I line up the monthly documents by month and put them in a folder and hand it all over to the IO.  

I hope this helps you.

22 hours ago, youngster30uk said:

The last post about this, it was said to print the PDF's from wise for the transfers, but surely this is easy for IO to reject, as even the statements I get from SCB have to have the SCB stamp on every page, which obviously the wise PDF's dont have

I transferred the funds monthly from HSBC and when I came to do the extension I downloaded the remittance advice for each transfer from my HSBC account and it wasn't a problem.

I had the 12 month statement from the bank and I actually saw the IO go through all the advice notes and tick them off against the statement.

Here's how I've done it for the last 4 - 5 years. You don't need to do anything more to prove income, you don't need to show your home bank or any Wise PDFs or anything else. If you want to gather a bunch of extra redundant files just to "be safe" that's up to you, but not necessary.  I transfer my monthly "income" of 67,000 baht from my US bank to BKK Bank once a month around the same time, using Wise. A couple weeks before my extension I order a printed one year bank statement that shows all of those transfers as international transfers. On the day of my extension I get a verification letter from my BKK Bank and update my passbook as well. The verification letter and passbook update needs to be done within a day of application, so I just do both on the same day as the application. That's it. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 4.40.24 PM.png

Edited by Jonathan Swift

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Others have offered advice. For the future make sure your monthly transfers by Wise are expressly "funds for long stay" in their app or site. This ensures that the transfer is routed directly to your Thai bank account and shows there as a "foreign funds transfer in" on your Thai bank statements. That entry appearing against each transfer on your Thai bank statement is what the IO wants to see. During the transfer request procedure on the Wise app or site a drop down menu appears asking you what the transfer is for. Scroll through the options to choose, perhaps unfortunately it's the last one of quite a few I think, "funds for long stay".

In the past I've missed this too and what a hassle that proved to be. I gave up in fact and did a border crossing to Savanakhet, Laos by the 2nd Friendship Bridge, at Mukdahan Thaiside.  The Thai Embassy at Savanakhet did and I believe still does 90 day multiple entry " marriage" visas without the need to show any financials at all. Requires an overnight in Savanakhet. Possibly the only Embassy that still does one I think but others will correct me I'm sure if I'm wrong. You then have to leave Thailand every 90 days and return for another 90 day stamp. You can stick on a 60 day extension obtained in Thailand before the visa expires too. It's not ideal, though a great many were using this pre Covid border closures.

Hope that helps.

32 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Others have offered advice. For the future make sure your monthly transfers by Wise are expressly "funds for long stay" in their app or site. This ensures that the transfer is routed directly to your Thai bank account and shows there as a "foreign funds transfer in" on your Thai bank statements. That entry appearing against each transfer on your Thai bank statement is what the IO wants to see. During the transfer request procedure on the Wise app or site a drop down menu appears asking you what the transfer is for. Scroll through the options to choose, perhaps unfortunately it's the last one of quite a few I think, "funds for long stay".

In the past I've missed this too and what a hassle that proved to be. I gave up in fact and did a border crossing to Savanakhet, Laos by the 2nd Friendship Bridge, at Mukdahan Thaiside.  The Thai Embassy at Savanakhet did and I believe still does 90 day multiple entry " marriage" visas without the need to show any financials at all. Requires an overnight in Savanakhet. Possibly the only Embassy that still does one I think but others will correct me I'm sure if I'm wrong. You then have to leave Thailand every 90 days and return for another 90 day stamp. You can stick on a 60 day extension obtained in Thailand before the visa expires too. It's not ideal, though a great many were using this pre Covid border closures.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I do check the funds for long stay, however with SCB a local intermediary is used, so scb do not show that, they just receive a domestic transfer

• Like 1

Most of the advice given is incorrect.  If your bank is showing a domestic transfer, most immigration officers require a letter from the intermediary bank verifying the international transfer even though you don't have an account with the bank.  Some imm offices require that the letter not be more than 7 days old from your extension application.

Many of us on the monthly transfer for extension have contacted Wise to flag our account for direct transfer and not use an intermediary bank.

There is an active Wise Thailand group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wisesolutions/?ref=share

10 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I transfer my monthly "income" of 67,000 baht from my US bank to BKK Bank once a month around the same time, using Wise. A couple weeks before my extension I order a printed one year bank statement that shows all of those transfers as international transfers.

When I transfer from my Bank from my homecountry to BKK bank via Wise, it shows up as "Transfer from Account at Other Bank" how do you make it show up as International Transfers?

On 1/6/2023 at 4:56 PM, youngster30uk said:

very out of date information. Most Embassies havent done the confirmation letters for about 5 years now 

Your information is wrong. The overwhelming majority of embassies still provide the confirmation letter required by immigration. There are 3 who do not the British, Australian and American. 

On 1/6/2023 at 4:47 PM, 4MyEgo said:

You are welcome to prove 3 months prior to renewal, personally mine is in 12 months prior.

However immigration only requires the deposit to be in-the bank for 2 months prior to application. (For retirement the deposit needs to be at 800k 2 months prior to application etc)  These requirements have been in place for several years now.

20 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are welcome to prove 3 months prior to renewal, personally mine is in 12 months prior.

However immigration only requires the deposit to be in-the bank for 2 months prior to application. (For retirement the deposit needs to be at 800k 2 months prior to application etc)  These requirements have been in place for several years now.

Well aware of the requirements thanks, that said, I don't like to leave it to the last minute, so 3 months prior to the renewal date I transfer around a million baht and draw down on that for the year for my monthly living costs, i.e. my budget is anyway between 60,000 to 100,000 baht which includes any additional works the house, domestic holidays, new furniture etc etc and whatever is left in there before the next extension, I top up again 3 months prior.

That works for me as I don't want to be told by someone in IO your deposit was under 1 day of the 2 months so to speak.

The above said, most IO's also only require 3 months of bank statements, mine wants all pages from the bankbook since it commenced, e.g. if it was opened 7 years ago and is still in use, then it's all the way back to 2016, fortuntatley for me I told the bank staff to stop adding pages to the account and to provide me with a new bankbook, so less printing of pages next time, as it's a new bankbook and I don't need to go back to 2016, fresh start from 2022.

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your information is wrong. The overwhelming majority of embassies still provide the confirmation letter required by immigration. There are 3 who do not the British, Australian and American. 

I am British, maybe I was wrong saying most, but either way this info is out of date, because it doesnt say what to do for the American, Brits and Aussies.

14 minutes ago, youngster30uk said:

I am British, maybe I was wrong saying most, but either way this info is out of date, because it doesnt say what to do for the American, Brits and Aussies.

You must have had your head in the sand for the last few years as the immigration department has given clear guidelines of  how you and the colonial cousins can provide the required proof of foreign income, not to mention the dozens of threads in this forum giving the same information.

the immigration policy No. 0029.173/Wor Date: 26 December 2018 the Memorandum Date: 4 Jan 2019

is the one giving this

So exactly what “info is out of date”

Edited by sometimewoodworker

45 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You must have had your head in the sand for the last few years as the immigration department has given clear guidelines of  how you and the colonial cousins can provide the required proof of foreign income, not to mention the dozens of threads in this forum giving the same information.

the immigration policy No. 0029.173/Wor Date: 26 December 2018 the Memorandum Date: 4 Jan 2019

is the one giving this

So exactly what “info is out of date”

It says to get letter from Embassy, my Embassy doesnt do that anymore, so the info is out of date, as it has not updated since 2019 when several Embassies stopped doing it.

Seems I am not the one with my head in the sand if you dont know this

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2023 at 5:12 PM, youngster30uk said:

I am also a Brit and I contact my pension providers 3 to 44 months in advance to get a copy of my pension details. Sometimes the IO will look at them and sometimes not.

I am also using the income method for my marriage extension.

I get my pensions transferred directly to my UK Wise account. I then send them to my BBL account in Thailand using the funds for living in Thailand.

That takes a little longer, around 24hrs, unless it is a weekend or bank holiday in Thailand. It show as a FTT or foreign transfer in my bankbook and on my statements.

You didn't mention which IO office you do the extension. Most are the same but some IO may ask for more information.

I use a small office in Kamphaeng Phet who are farang friendly and very helpful. I have attached 2 PDF files, one in English and 1 in Thai with their requirements (they would like the docs in their order) and it worked for me a couple of months ago.

The two best people on this Visa forum to go to are UbonJoe or LopBuri3. They DO know their stuff, and are more than willing to help anybody, without being critical or snotty about it.

The PDF files you will probably need to expand to a comfortable size for you to read and you can write on them too.

Good luck

visa extension documents list from John Spooner.pdf visa extension documents list.pdf

Edited by billd766
added extra text