Travel insurance warning after Welshman's motorbike crash

webfact

3 minutes ago, damo1967 said:

If I was the Doctor in his hospital, he would be waiting OUTSIDE until he could afford to pay for any treatment.

Doctors are meant to administer their skills without moral judgement on the injured, infirmed or ailing. So  I suspect you do not have the qualities. It would be immoral to suspend urgently needed treatment until payment is received. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, damo1967 said:

I beg to differ.  I will refer to him as an imbecile.  Just dumb that people do not have adequate insurance or 'think', hang on..  would I be covered riding a bike.. no helmet.. <deleted> on changs?  With no licence?  Ahh it wont happen to me... haha..  BUT, it does happen...

I refuse to contribute even 1 thb to these people on GoFundMe.. most are cheap charlies as well!  If I was the Doctor in his hospital, he would be waiting OUTSIDE until he could afford to pay for any treatment.

Calm down. The man doesn't deserve such acidic and judgmental references. Not everyone has a magnifying glass to read the exclusion clauses and fine print of that insurance policy, especially if the package is marketed as "all inclusive" or "peace of mind for your next holiday."

One day you'll be in a situation where you struggle to read the fine print of your retirement home's terms and conditions. Be sure to read them carefully, lest you be labeled an imbecile and "dumb"

I wish him well. Good to see so much support from his family and community back in Wales. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Doctors are meant to administer their skills without moral judgement on the injured, infirmed or ailing. So  I suspect you do not have the qualities. It would be immoral to suspend urgently needed treatment until payment is received. 

Classic story of a guy from Australia who didnt think he would need travel insurance.. his foot was hanging off his leg after a motorbike accident.. 1st country hospital put a bandage on it.. then transferred to International hospital who wanted payment before they did anything....  classic fools... all of them who do not have insurance especially in Asia.

But it would only insure him for one country for 31 consecutive days."

tHAT IS TEH CAVEAT.  Yes you can travel around the world but do not settle down in any one country.

Also, reading what his sister says it definitely sounds like he may not know know what he was doing on the scooter.  The only difference between a scooter and a motorcycle is the number of CC and the top speed.

Treat either wrong and it will hurt or kill you.

But then again he was young and healthy what could go wrong.

As to shops checking licenses hell the police dn't do it why should they and the fines are so small.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Calm down. The man doesn't deserve such acidic and judgmental references. Not everyone has a magnifying glass to read the exclusion clauses and fine print of that insurance policy, especially if the package is marketed as "all inclusive" or "peace of mind for your next holiday."

One day you'll be in a situation where you struggle to read the fine print of your retirement home's terms and conditions. Be sure to read them carefully, lest you be labeled an imbecile and "dumb"

I wish him well. Good to see so much support from his family and community back in Wales. 

No need to worry about me..  he is an imbecile and dumb because he did the wrong thing.... and now wants people to pay for his stupidity...  no thanks.

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Fractured skull, came round a bend, lost control, straight into a power pole. IMO No helmet, No M/C license/experience. What Island was he on ?

Very lucky man as not many people survive hitting a solid object on a motorbike.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

If you have your own bike you could have added accident insurance to it. I do so every year.

Is this an add on to the insurance you get when you tax it annually, or completely separate insurance that you take out? And how much does it cost please?

3 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

So, basically Thai insurance is worthless. There we go. It's funny, the legions of insurance addicts that will pontificate mercilessly about holding policy. Thai insurance is worthless save for SSO.

He held UK insurance not Thai!

3 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Yes, to be honest I obviously didn't read the article and just made an assumption he bought a cheap policy when he was signing up for his rent a bike

Just as he did not bother to read his insurance policy and assumed he was covered.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

Alcohol and renting motorbikes and driving in a foreign country where there are no real repercussions for drink driving is going to lead to a few accidents, its inevitable and one way or another his bills will get sorted.

No one would dream of renting a bike in the US or UK without  a license and certainly wouldn't drink drive all night or morning but this is Thailand were the allure of just doing what you want is quite appealing to many and a change from the attitudes back home.

10 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Is this an add on to the insurance you get when you tax it annually, or completely separate insurance that you take out? And how much does it cost please?

Its an add on insurance and its a couple of thousand bt depending on your bike.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its an add on insurance and its a couple of thousand bt depending on your bike.

That sounds very reasonable.

Sorry to be a pest but some more detail would be greatly appreciated:

1) Can you simply purchase this add on when you go for your bike's annual tax renewal? 2) Is the insurance document in English or only Thai? 3) How much are you covered  for? 4) Do you have to have a Thai driving licence to obtain it?  5) Will they pay out regardless of blame please?

Cheers

20 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

That sounds very reasonable.

Sorry to be a pest but some more detail would be greatly appreciated:

1) Can you simply purchase this add on when you go for your bike's annual tax renewal? 2) Is the insurance document in English or only Thai? 3) How much are you covered  for? 4) Do you have to have a Thai driving licence to obtain it?  5) Will they pay out regardless of blame please?

Cheers

1) No, it is not available as part of the compulsory Por Ror Bor scheme. One must purchase voluntary motorcycle cover and usually add this on top of the standard policy cover. You could purchase the Por Ror Bor sticker as part of a voluntary policy and have both with the same insurer.

2) Most insurers will provide policies in both Thai and English, but the Thai language version will prevail.

3) The insurance company may offer several limits which you may select, but limits are usually not very high and I would not recommend anyone rely upon this exclusively. It isn't a substitute for proper medical insurance. It won't be enough for serious injuries.

4) Insurers may ask for a copy of your license when you insure your motorbike. 

5) This is similar to personal accident cover and should operate regardless of fault. But beware of other exclusions that my void cover, such as riding under the influence of alcohol, no license, etc.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

So, basically Thai insurance is worthless. There we go. It's funny, the legions of insurance addicts that will pontificate mercilessly about holding policy. Thai insurance is worthless save for SSO.

How do you know it was Tha Insurance?

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am not talking about the dodo birds who have never ridden, jump on one here while on vacation and then do not wear a helmet, those are the idiots. 

And are drunk and speeding. Turning on a curve is pretty basic, innit?

BTW, tats don't protect farang, either.

My son was lucky. He just wanted to drive my wife's scooter around the village - i wasn't happy, but he is an adult. 5 days later he had an accident. He wore a crash helmet, but was just wearing flip-flops and his foot was sliced open. He had travel insurance, but i doubt if it covered riding a motorbike and no licence. Took him to Bangkok hospital, with my wife in tow - they accepted her motorbike insurance! Bill was about 27,000 baht including redressing wound every few days. Wrecked his holiday. But now he has a wicked looking 8 inch scar as a memento.... he no longer wants a motorbike.

All of the families nieces and nephews have had motorbike accidents - fortunately nothing worse than broken arms and legs. I will no longer even go on the wife's bike as a passenger - last time was 5 years ago. With the state of Thai driving skills, and some substandard roads/safety issues, it is almost certain that you WILL have an accident eventually. If inexperienced, almost certainly sooner.

In a car, may still have accidents - but 90% of the time only the car gets hurt.

• Like 1

Can I drive with a license from my own country that lets me drive a 500cc, or do I need an international driving permit in Thailand?

To make sure I'm covered by travel insurance.

My insurance will only cover me as a passenger if I'm wearing a helmet, have to turn down any motorbike taxi that can't give me a helmet. Though I only take these when feeling suicidal.

Thanks

She keeps  going on about the "fine print", the 31 day cover isn't in the fine print it's a standard duration which he will have clicked on, probably thought he was getting it cheaper. Hope the lad recovers but can't believe people have paid up £20,000 for him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Best insurance ever.

Another Darwin award really.

Do you like your life? Fancy not living the rest of it in a wheelchair or perhaps in a bed? Stay off motorcycles.

How on earth did you get to Thailand? You didn't come by plane did you? Didn't you know they're dangerous! 

But my biggest worry is how did you get to your hotel from the airport. I hope you didn't use one of those dangerous taxis.

Maybe safer for you not to get out of bed. You could get everything delivered to your place. You never need to take any chances.

When I got my licence I was told I was a temporary Australian. 52 years later I'm still here and I've had a ball on the motorbikes. Having ridden in over 23 countries and millions of kilometres I can't see myself ever not riding.

no, the policy was not worthless, and thai insurance is not worthless, the insured was engaged in an activity that was not covered by the policy. understand?! ????

• Like 2

I read it was a Lloyds Bank travel insurance policy. Perhaps I am wrong. 

• Like 1