BREAKING: Thailand issues NEW Covid entry requirements effective January 9th.

Social Media

Just now, Neeranam said:

Wow, but I did hear that Australia has a ridiculous policy on Covid.

At the time there were no vaccines available to about half the population but Australia remained covid free because of the travel restrictions and strict quarantine for those who could get back. Returnees were restricted to about 2,000 a week.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

At the time there were no vaccines available to about half the population but Australia remained covid free because of the travel restrictions and strict quarantine for those who could get back. Returnees were restricted to about 2,000 a week.

Yes, I remember my sister, an Oz citizen, needed a letter from the government to get back in. 

• Like 1

TNN 16 just reported that the 1st arrivals from China tomorrow at Suvarnabhumi Airport will be welcomed by government officials, dancers and that 20k Chinese are expected to arrive tomorrow here in Thailand. The news also showed the Chinese airports were also packed with travelers this afternoon and all outbound flights to all destinations were fully booked.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Salerno said:

In this case, yes, ignore the "Breaking" in the title. Airlines had already started updating their sites hours before this thread started.

Can you post a link to such an airline posting?  Thanks!  I'm hoping to chase down policy examples.  My brother is flying soon

7 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Can you post a link to such an airline posting?  Thanks!  I'm hoping to chase down policy examples.  My brother is flying soon

airlines departing from Australia have announcements stating passengers need to show covid vaccination status to board when traveling to Thailand. Have only checked JetStar/Qantas but would assume all are the same

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Why don't they? An email takes mere seconds.

Quite the actual email takes seconds to inform the check in staff perhaps,then they have to read it and figure out what it means?We all know translating Thai to English doesn't always work?

There is always a chance that it gets misinterpreted?

To inform passengers may take a little longer, than a few seconds?

7 minutes ago, andy said:

LOL, what do you think was happening during the era of Thailand Pass?  All the regulations at the time, except for insurance proof, applied to Thai nationals.  Wife was essentially denied entry for 2 years because she didn't want to be put in prison SHA hotel and be subject to all the BS.

That is NOT being denied entry, that's quarantine!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Red flags popping up all over, Thailand should be careful and decide what's better for their citizens $$$$ or safety/health

Tests on travelers from China offer rare snapshot of covid chaos

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tests-travelers-china-offer-rare-134609088.html

But, but, but they have to test negative before the can even leave...???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes it will put some off travelling to Thailand a friend just got quoted 60000 baht for Thai covid insurance someone is trying to make money as he has already booked his ticket that was expensive but he has got his back paper

In the next few weeks the entire world is going to be a test laboratory for determining just how dangerous, or not, Covid is today.

The most heavily infected nation on Earth is sending its folks far and wide, just as it did in 2020. Lunar New Year is upon us.

Initial data on the infection rate of Chinese arrivals in foreign lands shows that 20-50% of the travelers are testing positive for Covid. One caveat in this data is that folks can test positive for Covid days or weeks after the symptoms have disappeared and the person feels fine.

A second consideration, however, is that travelers are likely the people who feel good enough to do just that: travel. This suggests that the infection rate within China must be massive, as those feeling ill probably are not getting on a plane (probably, but not surely).

So Lunar New Year is going to tell us just how bad, or not, the current strains of Covid are, how effective current vaccines are in stopping severe symptoms, as well as how much 'natural immunity' has arisen in those infected with current or earlier strains.

The Earth is now a giant Petri dish. Travel and world economies have been recuperating nicely from the nightmare that was 2020-21. Let us hope that Covid now is as many critics of mitigation measures have long said (originally incorrectly) that 'Covid is no worse than a cold'. We cannot afford "deja vu all over again".

I will make one ancillary prediction: Given how severe China's lockdowns were, as well as the CP's propensity to impose whatever it wants on its 1.3 billion citizens, I suspect we'll need a new term---let me suggest Sinoverstay---for Chinese who attempt to hide in whatever non-Middle Kingdom nation they happen to be in, including Thailand.

Maybe Thai Immigration needs to gas up its special BMW.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just sent this onto my friend who was booking a flight from the US to Phuket. She had just booked a refundable flight and is unvacvinated. She has now canceled.

I have a few unvaxxed friends who used to come here annually for a month at a shot.
I just sent them the news.  They usually come in February, but how the heck can you book a flight if you don't know if the "rules" are going to turn on a dime.

I'll be surprised if they come.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just sent this onto my friend who was booking a flight from the US to Phuket. She had just booked a refundable flight and is unvacvinated. She has now canceled.

Latest amendment - she can come but will be tested on arrival. If she has any interest in putting up with the flip flopping of course.

12 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Latest amendment - she can come but will be tested on arrival. If she has any interest in putting up with the flip flopping of course.

What happens if test positive?Are we back to quarantine?

28 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

You are aware that these "vaccines" don't prevent the transmission of COVID, right? So given that, why should you, or anyone else, care if other people are vaccinated?

Because they do prevent serious illness in most cases. Nobody cares if they get infected, that's going to happen anyway. What most people care about is serious illness, long covid and dying. I'm not sure why anti-vaxxers insist on ignoring the serious illness and long covid aspect of the virus.

• Like 2