100 year ban??

Not really cannabis related, so this should probably be moved to a Visa & Imm forum?

This topic, exact same circumstances although the criminal acts involved have varied, has come a few times here over the years, and a search would likely yield informative responses.

As Cannabis has been decriminalized, and all people in remand, including those caught with tons, have been freed, I'd say the odds of being turned away at arriving immigration are slim. That, along with the new name and passport. I'm inferring that the OP was found guilty on Cannabis possession/distribution charges, and not heroin, but his narrative is quite disjointed. Can the OP share more details? Which crimes were charged? What was the sentence? What were you told when you were deported? Can you share any paperwork you signed?

• Thumbs Up 1

Apologies for putting this in the weed section of the forum. Posts like this, that are related to drugs, usually aren't welcome in the main section of expat forums. 

I was found guilty of use/possess weed and heroin. From memory I was fined around 10,000 baht, but as I'd been on remand, I had earnt just over 7000 in credit and I only had to pay the balance. 

No need to move it to the other section of the forum, happy to have it disappear if you like.

• Like 1

I imagine you will be able to get back in to Thailand, no problem. I simply cannot imagine that they have gone back and digitised the millions of records they have on file of people's fingerprints and liked it to the Immigration computer system.

If you're really concerned, fly in to a neighbouring country and try and enter Thailand by land - that way, if you're denied entry you can simply return to and enjoy the neighbouring country and not have to face a long flight back to wherever you just flew in from.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 6:14 AM, mikebike said:

I cannot say for 100% sure, but it is almost inconceivable that they have gone back years, yet alone decades, and fastidiously started scanning everything. 

I am pretty sure they scanned the fingerprints database. I seem to remember reading about that somewhere.  Just give it a try. I think it is possible to get in. It wasn't an offence that led to imprisonment and he doesn't mention that he was ordered blacklisted by the court.

I need to find my old passport, as when I went through immigration on the way out, there was a large stamp, that pretty much filled a whole page. There was a number that looked like a Thai year which I just assumed was 100 years from when I was booted.

Also, any idea what happens if you try to enter LOS at a land border, but you get knocked back? Do you just get turned around and go back to the country you were trying to enter from? Obviously if you try to enter through an airport and you're told you're not welcome, you're likely to be locked up until you can make arrangement to go back home. However, isn't it an offence to try and come back to Thailand if you are on a ban? I seem to remember reading about some people who were caught out in some sort of Immigration sweep, though I can't remember the specifics. I do remember that some, if not all had been banned quite recently, so it would make sense if they were caught out by fingerprint records?

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2023 at 6:14 AM, mikebike said:

I cannot say for 100% sure, but it is almost inconceivable that they have gone back years, yet alone decades, and fastidiously started scanning everything. 

Those inactve posts all these policemen get moved must need to have something to do. Which could well be scanning old documents.

Had enough after 1 paragraph. Sorry I might have missed this, but where do you actually clearly mention that you were arrested in Thailand. If you want approval you're in the wrong place. One question: You got in serious trouble here, so why want to come back and be tempted again? 

You sound like trouble to me even if you try to discuss your situation with velvet gloves.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No,it is used to find people changing their name and get a new passport.

Total rubbish.

The FBI and the London Met take at least 2hrs for a fingerprint search using the latest technology if the search is their No.1 priority (normal non-urgent search results are 2-3 days). Yet you believe the Thai Immigration services using a pirate version of windows 3.1 on an old PC can do it in seconds.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Total rubbish.

The FBI and the London Met take at least 2hrs for a fingerprint search using the latest technology if the search is their No.1 priority (normal non-urgent search results are 2-3 days). Yet you believe the Thai Immigration services using a pirate version of windows 3.1 on an old PC can do it in seconds.

You have no clue about what IT immigration is using and are completely ignoring that people already have been caught this way.

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They buy metal detectors that don't detect, submarines without engines, aircraft carriers without aircraft.

And yet, you expect them to have fingerprint computers better than the FBI and the London Met.

Did it ever cross your mind that countries use the same software for certain functionalities and that they don't reinvent the wheel all the time?

Some info on fingerprints and databases.

Putting fingerprints into computers goes way back and is trivial. They manually mark each point where a raised ridge stops or bifurcates. That produces pairs of numbers like (88, 102) that are used to search. I would assume Thailand has had computerized fingerprints all along.

The time to find a print with a computer depends on database size. If Thailand is only looking for people who have been banned in the past it would be instantaneous (on an old PC).

The fastest current search methods using an Intel CPU exceeds 1 billion prints per second.

I would not assume Thailand can't easily find prints from the 1990s especially for a small important group of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

I would not assume Thailand can't easily find prints from the 1990s especially for a small important group of people.

I always assume Thailand couldn't find it's own bum using both hands and a mirror.

But I'm probably wrong. 

One of my pals was a heroin/gold smuggler in the 1990s.

Got caught and spent a year in the Bangkok Hilton.

Deported back to the UK where he got a new passport, then flew right back here.

Edited by BritManToo

On 1/14/2023 at 2:50 AM, Beetofaneediot said:

I need to find my old passport, as when I went through immigration on the way out, there was a large stamp, that pretty much filled a whole page. There was a number that looked like a Thai year which I just assumed was 100 years from when I was booted.

If you do find it, post a picture of the stamp on here. There are people who can translate it and tell you exactly what it says.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, Boomer6969 said:

Dunno if I am offended but, I just hope they'll catch you. 

Why? Have you not ever made a mistake in your life that didn’t hurt anyone else? If so, would you be happy to be punished for that (relatively minor) mistake for the rest of your life?

What makes you so hateful?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

Why? Have you not ever made a mistake in your life that didn’t hurt anyone else? If so, would you be happy to be punished for that (relatively minor) mistake for the rest of your life?

What makes you so hateful?

Hateful? I am only saying that Thailand doesn't need to import drug addicts. If the "imports" get caught Thai law  must be applied to it's dullest extent. What's wrong with that?