This year I am turning 50

Celsius

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cardio seems to work well, the 70s, 80s guys i know very fit, look good and probably never lifted a weight

Makes sense. It's your heart, right? Hehe

I think stretching is probably important too for range of motion and mobility; save you from falling over n breaking important stuff, lol

Just now, 2009 said:

Makes sense. It's your heart, right? Hehe

I think stretching is probably important too for range of motion and mobility; save you from falling over n breaking important stuff, lol

Stretching must be good but I'm sure plenty of fat stretchers out there. Guys doing weights seem to try to bulk up, protein and roids

38 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Seriously? Can't stand? Or walk?

yes look at some of those ppl in there 70s for example who are not able to walk like they did 20 yrs ago - just sitting around watching tv etc - living a sedentary lifestyle accelarates muscle lose greatly . Think about how many older ppl lose there lives from just falling down stairs etc . Or imagine walking up a hill seems easy but then walk down hill which is much harder on the body . Train in a way that both eccentric and  concentric . 

Edited by greg71
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2009 said:

What do you think is more beneficial to health as you age and why: weight training, stretching, or cardio?

Diet and not smoking. But exercise works synergistically and offers its own needed benefits. I'd put strength training first to ward off frailty. If you can't get up off the sofa, you can't do any cardio. If done sufficiently and intensely, it can serve as cardio. 

But one recent study showed that best results are achieved from doing both. That assumed the average form of each, I suppose, not HIT or HIIT.

Many people refuse to strength train, so certainly they should at least be trying to do their 150 min/week of moderate to intense walking or whatever.

Opinions vary about the needs and benefits of stretching. I'm a believer that it's helpful after exercise, and I do it daily. With exercise comes muscle and tendon tightness that can cause various problems, and has for me. For example, my cardio tended to cause Achilles tendonitis. Stretching and eccentric exercise got rid of it, and stretching keeps it from recurring. Stretching also complements strength training by helping with mobility.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, greg71 said:

yes look at some of those ppl in there 70s for example who are not able to walk like they did 20 yrs ago - just sitting around watching tv etc - living a sedentary accelarates muscle lose greatly . Think about how many older ppl lose there lives from just falling down stairs etc . Or imagine walking up a hill seems easy but then walk down hill which is much harder on the body . Train in a way that both eccentric and  concentric . 

Here is a good video explaining the topic of strength - Dr Peter Attia you tube video channel has some very interesting topics to watch 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

The OP should be sure to work a couple of years at a company or institution that provides Thai SS. Then, upon leaving, keep up the modest payments for free healthcare & meds for life at Thai gov't hsps. 

Is that really true? Any good link to details?

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Diet and not smoking. But exercise works synergistically and offers its own needed benefits. I'd put strength training first to ward off frailty. If you can't get up off the sofa, you can't do any cardio. If done sufficiently and intensely, it can serve as cardio. 

But one recent study showed that best results are achieved from doing both. That assumed the average form of each, I suppose, not HIT or HIIT.

Many people refuse to strength train, so certainly they should at least be trying to do their 150 min/week of moderate to intense walking or whatever.

Opinions vary about the needs and benefits of stretching. I'm a believer that it's helpful after exercise, and I do it daily. With exercise comes muscle and tendon tightness that can cause various problems, and has for me. For example, my cardio tended to cause Achilles tendonitis. Stretching and eccentric exercise got rid of it, and stretching keeps it from recurring. Stretching also complements strength training by helping with mobility.

Any link to a good stretch routine? I knows there are 2000 on YouTube but you seem a guy that's sorted thru it already.

45 minutes ago, BigStar said:

A good start for everyone is walking and I prefer sand beach and also swimming. After awhile hit light weights ????

If I havent worked out for awhile I start with 50 reps x 2 until my body adopts to tension again and move from 50 reps to 20 x 3, and finely 12 - 15 x 3 x 2 as the last two another exercise hit the same muscle.

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Quite true. I did it. A great thing.

With the exponential rise (mine is up 14% this year before any age-related increase) in insurance premiums, it's definitely worth keeping it up if you are entitled!

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

Any link to a good stretch routine? I knows there are 2000 on YouTube but you seem a guy that's sorted thru it already.

I like Dr. Jo a lot, hits the basics, very knowledgeable. Tom Merrick has a great range of vids for beginner to advanced. And Jared Beckstrand's quite good on a variety of subjects, exercise oriented.

Some of it is difficult at first but becomes much easier as the months go by. The biggest problem I have with it is that's about the most boring thing I do. I'll often procrastinate until almost bedtime! I usually put on a movie or series episode to watch while I'm at it.

Here's an old guy proving that seniors are capable of being very fit and mobile: Steve Maxwell. An advocate of the efficient less is more (done correctly) school. Learned some things from him.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A good start for everyone is walking and I prefer sand beach and also swimming. After awhile hit light weights ????

If I havent worked out for awhile I start with 50 reps x 2 until my body adopts to tension again and move from 50 reps to 20 x 3, and finely 12 - 15 x 3 x 2 as the last two another exercise hit the same muscle.

A start by walking, swimming, etc. is good. Some will have to start slowly.

Not a believer in lots of reps, use a much different technique derived from Arthur Jones/Mike Mentzer/Ken Hutchins/Drew Baye. Reading Doug McGuff's Body By Science first convinced me. Fast, efficient, better on joints, but intense. P. D. Mangan, 67, former microbiologist, is a prominent current exemplar. No cardio for him. Been working well. Kinda looking forward to my next checkup. (Unusual around here, eh?)

Edited by BigStar

9 minutes ago, BigStar said:

A start by walking, swimming, etc. is good. Some will have to start slowly.

Not a believer in lots of reps, use a much different technique derived from Arthur Jones/Mike Mentzer/Ken Hutchins/Drew Baye. Reading Doug McGuff's Body By Science first convinced me. Fast, efficient, better on joints, but intense. P. D. Mangan, 67, former microbiologist, is a prominent current exemplar. No cardio for him. Been working well. Kinda looking forward to my next checkup. (Unusual around here, eh?)

Just as Im getting back to it, time muscles is undercstress versus weight is always up for debate. 50 reps is just to warm up for heavier sessions later. 

https://www.bestfit.app/blog-en/time-under-tension-how-long-you-need-to-keep-it-tight

9 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Thomas only made it to 39 ironically. 

In many photos he either has a cigarette or a drink....or both...neither of which is conducive to a long life.

There are many things one can do to 1) avoid rapid aging, and 2) maintain a youthful appearance

Don't smoke, get just enough sun to keep the Vitamin D up, do regular resistance training, maintain a proper weight, minimize stress, limit alcohol intake, eat a balanced diet, get proper sleep, remain curious, and most important of all......choose your parents well !

Now here's a little bit of science for inspiration....

Many women are drawn by instinct to older men who are in good shape. It isn't the Electra Complex, but rather being in shape at an older age suggests good genetics, and women seek good genes when it comes to propagating their own gene pool. I don't know what the age limit is, but it's at least 50 years old.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg71 said:

Here is a good video explaining the topic of strength - Dr Peter Attia you tube video channel has some very interesting topics to watch 

The OP ought to search for videos by Peter Attia and Andrew Huberman. They are both on the cutting edge of research, and offer great advice on everything from exercise to sleep to diet to supplements to general lifestyle.

What seems to have occurred in the last few years is that many 'accepted truisms' were tested and found to be false. Current research is being funded by the Boomer Billionaires...guys who want to live long enough to enjoy their money. What separates people like Attia and Huberman from others is that both adhere to Francis Bacon's Scientific Method and will say what research shows absolutely works, plus what research suggests works (but needs more study).

The earlier one adopts the methods suggested by Attia and Huberman (or others like Dr Andy Galpin and Dr Kyle Gillett), the better. Attia and Huberman both stress resistance training, even more than cardio, owing to the body's increased production of testosterone and HGH tied to the stress involved in moving weight and mobilizing muscle.

Two other things:  eat excess protein and eat a collagen supplement. One's body cannot utilize protein to the same extent at 40-50 as at 20-30, but consuming excess protein allows the body to utilize as much as at an earlier age, just not as efficiently (thus the need for excess). The collagen helps with all the body organs and tissues that are built with collagen, so it aids joints and tendons, and even skin. There is one researcher who argues against protein because it keeps mTOR active (Valter Longo), but other researcher suggests just sleep (where one is not consuming protein because one is not eating for 8-12 hours), turns off mTOR sufficiently to limit its effect on cell aging.

Personally, I've never been out of shape. I do the same workouts now I did when playing university sports and have the same level of energy. (Bangkok has many great gyms...and some inspiring gym members of the fairer gender.) The only thing that has changed is that I have lost explosive power (from fast twitch muscle fiber). Up until about age 30 I had a 42" vertical leap (106 cm) and could easily dunk a basketball. That ability is now gone. Pliometrics help to keep up some of the power, but I'm sad to say no more skywalking. (The sensation of floating on air almost beat sex; I miss one of the two)

Another benefit---or maybe curse---of staying supremely active is that I've experienced no change in either libido or ability to raise the sails when the wind is on the howl.

To the OP: how you will look and feel is up to you (unless you've spent your 40s being a sloth, in which case you are limited in what you can now achieve). Do not judge by how others look. What percent of men age 50-60 work out with weight? I bet it's <10%. How about 60-70? I'd bet <1%. 70-80? Maybe .5% max.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Just as Im getting back to it, time muscles is undercstress versus weight is always up for debate. 50 reps is just to warm up for heavier sessions later. 

https://www.bestfit.app/blog-en/time-under-tension-how-long-you-need-to-keep-it-tight

No warmup needed using TUL properly. Fitness sites will never support TUL training, or low carb, as they're just too simple. No app needed, little advice, no complicated routines and diet tweaks, products. They'd go out of business.

Their target market is young men who want to impress babes, Arnold wannabes who love to waste spend hours at the gym pumping. Eventually, probably by age 30 for most, most of them start burning out, run out of time, get discouraged (Arnold had them genes), get injured, and become weak and fat.

But if we are completely honest, it often happens that even if we do 12 repetitions in one exercise, we do not reach the required 40 seconds or more. This can become a problem if you constantly fall below the required time under tension in your training.

Spurious objection. Not 40 seconds, 90 seconds. Anyone gets used to a slower cadence and instinctively follows it. And you're going to failure anyway, and you can target that for 6 reps. Oh, you went to 8 before failure. So what? Stay there or next time use a little more weight.

That's always been part of it since Arthur Jones, so this writer really doesn't understand the method or is pretending he doesn't. The writer is assuming the usual 80% max on a set. That's too easy, lacks intensity. Funny, in my gym I often have the feeling I'm the only one there really suffering. The rest are rapidly pumping up and down (using momentum), sitting around resting, or playing with phones.

And if you really need to assure yourself, you can quickly add a drop set. So the timing really doesn't need to be extremely precise, kind of a laughable idea at our level of endeavor. I did use an interval timer when doing a good bit of isometrics during COVID because 30/30/30 is harder to track.  

He also failed to mention that you can use lighter weights with TUL. So, lighter weights, far fewer sets (1), and reps (6) min. No warmup needed. Better for old guys w/ their old joints? Obviously.

And most of the gurus working in the area, such as P. D. Mangan, will recommend twice a week, so each muscle goes to failure after the TUL twice. Sessions of splits in the legacy models may only be once a week.

better training results - for whom? We old guys ain't trying to be bodybuilders. No point, babes ain't gon' be impressed, and that'll just lead to injury. What we mainly need is functional strength and overall fitness with safety. And our time is getting shorter. 

Please don't gimme any more fitness site hack writing.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No warmup needed using TUL properly. Fitness sites will never support TUL training, or low carb, as they're just too simple. No app needed, little advice, no complicated routines and diet tweaks, products. They'd go out of business.

Their target market is young men who want to impress babes, Arnold wannabes who love to waste spend hours at the gym pumping. Eventually, probably by age 30 for most, most of them start burning out, run out of time, get discouraged (Arnold had them genes), get injured, and become weak and fat.

But if we are completely honest, it often happens that even if we do 12 repetitions in one exercise, we do not reach the required 40 seconds or more. This can become a problem if you constantly fall below the required time under tension in your training.

Spurious objection. Not 40 seconds, 90 seconds. Anyone gets used to a slower cadence and instinctively follows it. And you're going to failure anyway, and you can target that for 6 reps. Oh, you went to 8 before failure. So what? Stay there or next time use a little more weight. That's always been part of it since Arthur Jones, so this writer really doesn't understand the method or is pretending he doesn't.

And if you really need to assure yourself, you can quickly add a drop set. So the timing really doesn't need to be extremely precise, kind of a laughable idea at our level of endeavor. I did use an interval timer when doing a good bit of isometrics during COVID because 30/30/30 is harder to track.  

He also failed to mention that you can use lighter weights with TUL. So, lighter weights, far fewer sets (1), and reps (6) min. No warmup needed. Better for old guys w/ their old joints? Obviously.

And most of the gurus working in the area, such as P. D. Mangan, will recommend twice a week, so each muscle goes to failure after the TUL twice. Sessions of splits in the legacy models may only be once a week.

better training results - for whom? We old guys ain't trying to be bodybuilders. No point, babes ain't gon' be impressed, and that'll just lead to injury. What we mainly need is functional strength and overall fitness with safety. And our time is getting shorter. 

Please don't gimme any more fitness site hack writing.

I was looking for NTNU research but could not find it. I have been lifting for 30 years and need to renew my program once and awhile just for the change.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:29 AM, Celsius said:

Never wear pants.

Depends will be the future for adult discrete wear. Forget Bit Coin invest in the bottom line...life fulfilled individuals' personal comfort accessories. Who needs pants?

To the OP:

If you think you are smelly now, at age 50, please hold your nose when you turn 60.

My best advice is:

After age 49, you should learn how to take a bath, maybe.

And, when you get to age 60, take a bath in the morning, AND in the evening.

Or, just live by yourself, a solution I highly recommend.

You are fortunate if you live in Thailand, because you can find women here who will teach you how to take a sudsy bath, and almost for free.

Wishing you well in your new old-age.

It's not for everyone.

On 1/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

The time you have remaining on the planet is greater than the time the planet has remaining.

'Many a true word is spoken in jest'. Watch this space.

Actually, I'm not so sure that the planet itself is doomed, simply our tenure here upon.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:48 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But I bet you were hornier when you were 20, 30 or 40 years old. 

That doesn't mean 50-year-old guys don't do it anymore, certainly they do. But younger guys need it a lot more often.

When I was 20 nice girls didn't, so ( not knowing any bad girls ) I had no opportunity to be "horny".

However, as a schoolboy ( at a boys only boarding school ) even shampoo ads in magazines gave me strange feelings, but given sex education was not even considered back then I didn't know what they were.

When I was 50 and had discovered Thai girls in LOS I was either doing it like a hamster, or saving up to be like a hamster. That happy stage of my life only ended when I got married to the wrong woman.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

'Many a true word is spoken in jest'. Watch this space.

Actually, I'm not so sure that the planet itself is doomed, simply our tenure here upon.

The planet will survive till the sun expands and burns it to a crisp, but it will do just fine without humans destroying it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:52 PM, Walker88 said:

Now here's a little bit of science for inspiration....

Many women are drawn by instinct to older men who are in good shape. It isn't the Electra Complex, but rather being in shape at an older age suggests good genetics, and women seek good genes when it comes to propagating their own gene pool. I don't know what the age limit is, but it's at least 50 years old.

Let's correct that:- Many women are drawn by instinct to older men who are rich. I'm sure even ugly old men like Jagger have no problem attracting young women if in possession of a bulge in the wallet.

• Haha 1