Thailand ushers in new education era, but will rich-poor gap close?

webfact

On 1/10/2023 at 6:29 AM, Gknrd said:

I have been reading this same story for the last 15 years here... 

Yes, and the mock up classroom has:

- NO windows!

- Is NOT configured for student centered learning!

- The teacher's desk is blocking the view of the whiteboard!

- Is the whiteboard an electronic whiteboard which can be be multi-functional?

On 1/10/2023 at 6:15 PM, BananaStrong said:

I have to imagine the solution is 1.  Hire real teachers who are native English speakers.   If you are going to do #1, then you will have to pay around 70,000 and hire to attract some talent.  In China, it's about 3x higher I think, Vietnam over 2x higher wages, etc.......

It's also sad, but helped me a ton, was that good looks is 100x better than anything else!!!!!!!!!  I'm 100% serious, and other teachers will back me up.   Oh, you take a good picture for the parents?  great.

Parents would complain about Thai English teachers because they wanted to pay for someone who looked like a real teacher.  LOL.   Absolute joke when the "white face" does nothing and then all the Thai teachers get jealous and upset.  vicious cycle.

Another solution:   Every school should pay 12 months.   Most schools pay 10-11 months a year (another big problem) and it really tells a teacher to jump around if they want because they give you a year contract but don't pay you for it and, trust me, the Labor department usually doesn't care at all.   

Air Con every room, 30 kids a room max, 1 falang and one thai teacher mandatory, better pay, less teaching hours, be a real teacher, must be native...

I have NEVER met a Thai English teacher who was fluent, and I promise you I've met well over 200.  maybe more.  Yes, fire all of them or have them teach something in Thai.  That's impossible.   

Now, do you want me to talk about corruption????? lol.   

@BananaStrong Well the good looks would be a waste now, as masks seem to be part of the school uniform for students and teachers. 

For the life of me I do not understand why anyone (farang) would stay and teach in Thailand for more than 2-3 years.  As a fully qualified teacher in the west, you can easily pull down at least $6K a month with just 6-7 years of experience.  With a master's degree and 15 years of experience it's over $120K a year depending upon where you live!  Then there is the retirement system that goes on top of that, something that yearly contracted farang teachers aren't getting.  

5 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

For the life of me I do not understand why anyone (farang) would stay and teach in Thailand for more than 2-3 years.  As a fully qualified teacher in the west, you can easily pull down at least $6K a month with just 6-7 years of experience.  With a master's degree and 15 years of experience it's over $120K a year depending upon where you live!  Then there is the retirement system that goes on top of that, something that yearly contracted farang teachers aren't getting.  

I don't stand much of a chance of getting shot by my six-year-old students in Thailand. America? Too many people packing heat both inside and outside the school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

For the life of me I do not understand why anyone (farang) would stay and teach in Thailand for more than 2-3 years.  As a fully qualified teacher in the west, you can easily pull down at least $6K a month with just 6-7 years of experience. 

You just answered your question. Thailand's a good place to come live and get the experience, that you'll need to eventually land that good teaching position. After I got my MA in English I simply hopped on a plane to where I knew there'd be jobs waiting, a beautiful country, low cost of living, not to mention as a single guy, plenty of lovely women, one of whom would soon become my wife.

Compare that with trying to teach in the US after earning your degree. You'll soon find that the degree is not enough, you then must run the gauntlet of trying to get a teaching license, with more practice teaching, more courses to take, depending on your state. I see MN will now just hand you a license with an MA in your subject, thank God. OTOH, CA, TX, and FL are the worst with their amount of BS. Then once you get that license, prepare for the competition, a gaggle of other budding young teachers all vying for the job. Then good luck dealing with useless administrators, and as someone else noted, dodging the flying bullets. Then good luck with paying the rent anywhere near the school on a teachers' salary. You'll be working long hours, commuting long distances, just to barely make that rent and not have much of a life. Then with the ladies, heh, it goes without saying, in the dating scene hardly any American woman wants to hear "teacher".

Here in Thailand, you'll quickly be in front of a classroom without BS, a cheap apartment is near your school, you have plenty of free time to enjoy this wonderful, exotic country on your weekends and holidays. And as for women, if you find a good one who's not just a gold digger, you'll find that unlike in the US, she and most Thais actually still respect the teaching profession.

The teaching job is what you make of it, if you're like many farangs you could just get up there to play Hangman and put on YouTube karaoke every class. But if you're like me, asking yourself just what did I get my Master's for, you'll be putting together some functional lesson plans with practical applications, to get those who are interested and engaged to actually leave your classes with more English communicative ability.

The teaching money here's not good, as someone else noted, I get around $1200 USD at my govt school, then along with online teaching make my monthly income $2k. It's enough for a comfortable living and local travel, but still not enough to save for the future nor retirement. So for that my wife and I are going to the US.

With my MA and nearly a decade of experience here in the LOS, I've now got a few interviews lined up with state universities in the US. They so happen to be looking for someone just like me, with years of experience interacting with foreign cultures, helping those looking to enter a new language community, as my country's now in the midst of receiving many new immigrants. It looks to be great timing. I actually hate to see it go, but this looks to hopefully be my last year teaching and living in the LOS, as the experience its given me will enable a brighter future for me and my wife in the US.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

You just answered your question. Thailand's a good place to come live and get the experience, that you'll need to eventually land that good teaching position.

You interpreted my statement to fit your narrative.  2-3 years ok.  10 years?  No way!  Many places you gain your teachers certificate/license upon graduating from a US university.  A lot of newly graduated teachers to be spend a year maybe two subbing and then get hired on.  The competition for teaching jobs is not currently that much although it does vary a bit depending upon where you are. 

Yes, there are some courses you have to take over the year to stay current.  You already have an MA so at least they (the school administration) won't be putting pressure on you to get a master's like they do all the other BA/BS degree holders.  The downside for you is that you most likely won't have enough years in the retirement system to pull down a decent retirement as you are entering the retirement system a little older than most.  

Put as many bells and whistles as you want on a flawed system - what will ensuring nothing changes. Change will only happen when a real education system is introduced that is student focused lead by competent teachers. 

And don't blame and belittle all Thai teachers, many are dedicated and endeavour to do their best, but unfortunately they are the product of the flawed system.